I'M BATVAN! ...a 2006 E350 V10 DIY Ujoint Conversion

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
I use this one off the video all the time, "Are you enjoying your homework? Good because you will be doing it for the next 15 years!"

So not long after I installed the Espar heater it was nice enough to let me know it didn't have enough voltage to run, what it was really saying is the frame rail mounted accessory battery was toast.
I have learned a few things about the OEM accessory battery option since owning this van. There is a relay under the engine mounted battery that sends amp/voltage via the alternator to the accessory battery. What I also found was that the accessory battery has no purpose on this van. Its being "over charged" and never drained. Looking back at the receipts showed that the "accessory" battery had been changed less than 3 years prior to my ownership, and 3 years prior to that, all under warranty. You would think that someone would have figured it out...I guess when the accessory battery is so low on charge (DOA) that it is putting such a burden on the starter battery when running that it makes the starter battery look like the culprit. The starter battery was a Walmart battery and it was less than 3 years old at this time as well.
So I took the Motorcraft acc. batt. to Ford to be evaluated for replacement and later received a brand new battery from them. Since it is a wet cell I decided to use it as the starter battery and purchase a couple of these "Super Start" Platinum AGM batteries from O'rielly's, and a second frame rail box from "Lincolnpimp" off ebay.
I like that O'reillys is kinda everywhere, and that these don't need to be dropped for servicing.
kcks2c.jpg

I also picked up some 2ga. copper wire off Amazon, and some new battery connections to make up the cabling.
2na8sja.jpg

...and no I didn't use the battery as an anvil when hammer crimping the connections. lol
For now the alternator is doing the charging duties through the OEM relay. We rarely stay in one place for any length of time so I think this will be good for now. I would like to get a better volt meter/charging conditions indicator as these batteries need to be well cared for in order for them to live a long life.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Not long after installing the batteries I started installing accessories powered by it.
I was getting a bit tired of hand pumping 2 SUP boards everytime we went out as well as wanting to be able to air downand refill for dirt/gravel road areas.
So I picked up one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/280790586347?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
Puma 12v portable air compressors based on many good reviews by the off road community.
First thing I did when I got it is tore it apart. I "divorced" the pump from the tank and mounted them separately under the van.
First the pump, right in front of the passenger side rear tire.
fve5va.jpg

Then the tank mounted behind the passenger rear tire.
1zq53dx.jpg

I later removed the regulator/unloader valve and simplified the pipework. Currently it is run off a switch you can see mounted near the pump but there is a continuous duty relay there and putting a switch on the dash is as simple as running a wire. I do have a "air compressor" rocker switch waiting for this mod.
Also, here "Batman" is showing off the dual batteries. Mounted between them is my 2 ton hydraulic jack/stand. I made a bracket out of aluminum to mount it to the frame rail. It has a single knob to unscrew and a safety leash of stainless braided cable.
95piy9.jpg

Raul

Adventurer
I like the jack stand mount.

I like it too. I have mine just bungee corded on the cargo area. Any pictures of the mounting bracket alone, please?

I am getting a lot of ideas from your build. not sure if I'll be able to do them. Holly Great job Batman.

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
i didnt even know such a thing existed (hydraulic/jackstand thingy). that looks like a handy damn item to have on board. great place to stash it too. the batteries can be heavy...

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
I like it too. I have mine just bungee corded on the cargo area. Any pictures of the mounting bracket alone, please?

I am getting a lot of ideas from your build. not sure if I'll be able to do them. Holly Great job Batman.

Thanks guys,
I took the cover, jack/wrench mount, etc. out of the back right corner of the van. I wanted to reclaim that space as easily accessible storage from out the rear door. My previous vehicle didn't have a flat requiring the spare in 14 years so I figured why have this taking up interior space. The foot and the pin are in my tool bag.
inemog.jpg

The mount is really simple and could be made in a number of different ways. Mine is 1/8" aluminum scrap with a bend at each end. The jack baseplate goes into the upper bend first and slides down into the lower yet still is captured by the upper. I drilled a hole through the mount and the jack baseplate for the bolt/ split washer, and nut/knob.
27xl4xv.jpg

I just went out to take these pics and the knob was so tight that I almost couldn't get it off by hand. If the bolt did somehow unscrew the jack would have to jump out of the bend and hopefully I would find it dangling here after hearing it hit the frame a few times.
2djxmxz.jpg

There are a few extra holes in the mount because it was further back before the 2nd battery was added. I had to use a couple standoffs between the mount and the frame in order for the mount not to interfere with the battery brackets here.
This is the jack. https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-620470-Unijack-4000-Capacity/dp/B00GJJZ5YC
Brad had recommended this in the Vandiana thread and infact the one I bought was from a link he posted to a deal on it in its own thread which was later deleted before I could respond with a "thanks".

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles