I'M BATVAN! ...a 2006 E350 V10 DIY Ujoint Conversion

I like your rear window replacement! I have been thinking about something similar.

And I just went through this whole thread, amazing work! I really like the way you set up the rear bed/slide etc.
 
Last edited:

brian94ht

Chateau spotter
Back again with an update!
I put a deposit on a 2020 Ford Transit AWD so I need to kick up the efforts to find this van a new owner.
I made this video to help potential buyers with the visuals.
There is one more segment I want to shoot again, because I cant find it, but thought I would debut it here.
The video kind of reconciles this whole thread.
If you can hang for the full 24 minutes let me know what you think.

 

Vandit

Observer
Nice video for sure. I think it will help people visualize how much cool stuff you've actually packed into this build and definitely help with the sale. I've followed your build since the beginning and there was plenty of stuff in the video that I either somehow missed or was not aware of. It's always nice to see the moving parts in motion. Seeing as you activated everything with one hand while you were filming, it shows how well all of your engineering works. Nice job.

This is still one of my top 3 favorite van builds. Tons of creativity, ingenuity, versatility, and attention to detail packed into one great van. If I didn't already have my own, this van would be at the top of my list. Good luck with the sale.

Are you going to do a build thread for the new Transit?
 

RVflyfish

Observer
Brian your thread seems like gold but I can't see any pics before Page 10. I get this message:

1570173953425.png
Does anyone else have this problem or know why it's happening?
 

brian94ht

Chateau spotter
Nice video for sure. I think it will help people visualize how much cool stuff you've actually packed into this build and definitely help with the sale. I've followed your build since the beginning and there was plenty of stuff in the video that I either somehow missed or was not aware of. It's always nice to see the moving parts in motion. Seeing as you activated everything with one hand while you were filming, it shows how well all of your engineering works. Nice job.

This is still one of my top 3 favorite van builds. Tons of creativity, ingenuity, versatility, and attention to detail packed into one great van. If I didn't already have my own, this van would be at the top of my list. Good luck with the sale.

Are you going to do a build thread for the new Transit?
Thanks for all the kind words Vandit!
I do plan to start a build thread for the Transit AWD. It might be a little different, and likely quicker to the end result.
The end result being that this build is going to be a "production ready model camper van".
As a result of the numerous conversions I have done for Trekkervans I have come up with my own layout(s), spec sheet, and build style that I'm hoping to showcase in this 2020 Transit.
Basically making a go at offering an off the shelf conversion, furniture/interior parts, and "kits" that can be shipped piece by piece or complete to customers for their own builds.
I wont be quitting my day job yet.... :)
 

brian94ht

Chateau spotter
In review I realized that I left out a lot of pics of the pop top interior finish.
Lots of little details to make this look good.
These two were the most difficult. The rear above the doors and the AC duct transition piece. I integrated the existing van dome light and AC vents, then added separately switched LED's. These LED's light up the bedslide area nicely.
IMG_2333.JPG
Initially I used the vinyl to wrap the AC vent/LED trim rings. I didn't like the look so I ended up using stretchy trunk lining carpet. Looks like teddy bear fur....
IMG_2319.JPGIMG_2317.JPG
Another challenging piece was the front and rear top/bottom covers. The front has two hooks and the rear has one. They need to be thin, curved, fit around the bed tracks, and be removable.... after gluing the slots and cutting the material, I stuffed a rag through the slot to hold the vinyl through the slot tightly until the glue dried.
IMG_2275.JPGIMG_2321.JPG
Although I wasn't getting much consistency out of my moms sewing machine I did manage to get these side panels put together. They have slots so the cross bars can move up and down, slots for wiring, and small snaps so it can be removed for maintenance. These are glued to the bottom, top, sides of the bedrails though.
IMG_2419.JPG

IMG_2442.JPG
Either end of these are panels that have been covered in vinyl and are held down with velcro for access.
IMG_2444.JPGIMG_2431.JPG
Continued....IMG_2437.JPG
 
Last edited:

brian94ht

Chateau spotter
I built new push block/crossbar covers with new separately switched LED's and recovered them. The front ones got new black handles.
IMG_2432.JPGIMG_2436.JPG


I chose to reuse the stock headliner. The area in the curve is tough to deal with and the stock headliner panels do it well. I did build and cover 4 panels that are velcroed to the bottom of the bed rails that effectively hold up the cut edge of the headliner panel.
IMG_2439.JPG
While I was at it I put the teddy bear fur in the under bed side cubbies.
IMG_2313.JPGIMG_2316.JPG
I haven't changed the bed platform other than to paint the bottom (headliner) the same color as the top headliner.
The steel cables that Sportsmobile include to hold the bed up to the ceiling were trashed so after agonizing about how I'm going to replace them I called Sportsmobile and they were "happy to send a new set out", completely complementary. That is pretty darn good of them to support a customer of one of their used tops that they don't even make anymore.
 
Last edited:
Top