iKamper Skycamp initial thoughts and observations

schplat

Does this tent only open to the passenger side? I'm about to buy a trailer with an awning on that side and I was hoping to mount this on top and have it open driver's side so it would not interfere with the awning.

ttengineer

Adventurer
Does this tent only open to the passenger side? I'm about to buy a trailer with an awning on that side and I was hoping to mount this on top and have it open driver's side so it would not interfere with the awning.

Unless they offer a driver side model now, the iKamper skycamp only opens to the passenger side unless you mount it backwards which some have done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jurfie

Adventurer
I did a little video on what I did to fix the mattress on my Ikamper SkyCamp ( I mention the model because they have a couple, this is the one most people know from kickstarter.

I am about to embark on a 16 day trip sleeping solely in the RTT, I will leave my review after that. So far in my 8 months of ownership I am very happy with it. I am also the kind of guy that always makes improvements to functionality on things I purchase.

Any update? I keep looking at other RTTs, but keep coming back to the iKamper. You pretty much did exactly what I was thinking of doing if I found the included mattress lacking.

Caveman Dave

We test fit a Tepui Deluxe 72x96 mattress in there and it fit, but wasn't a thorough test. Once I heal from surgery I'll be playing around with the tent. Can't do much now except stare at it right now haha
The new Skycamp 2.0 has a great 1.8" memory foam mattress that is pretty comfy. My buddy has the older generation and he just added a 3" inch memory foam mattress off Amazon for $30
https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Inch-Swirl-Memory-Topper check out the review of the Skycamp 2.0

shoredreamer

Observer
The new Skycamp 2.0 has a great 1.8" memory foam mattress that is pretty comfy. My buddy has the older generation and he just added a 3" inch memory foam mattress off Amazon for $30
https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Inch-Swirl-Memory-Topper check out the review of the Skycamp 2.0
That’s sweet! Did you do that review linked? Wow, that was a flashback looking at my old post, ha. I now work at the shop I bought my iKamper from and sell iKampers all day! They’ve come a long way in the 3 years since then. I still have my original tent, but sold it to my buddy and I have a 2.0 currently. The company refines and innovates like no other.7C4B3C19-C49B-43F9-ACEE-67E8BF8BC358.jpeg

sspark

That’s sweet! Did you do that review linked? Wow, that was a flashback looking at my old post, ha. I now work at the shop I bought my iKamper from and sell iKampers all day! They’ve come a long way in the 3 years since then. I still have my original tent, but sold it to my buddy and I have a 2.0 currently. The company refines and innovates like no other
Hey there! I'm trying to figure out the differences between the 1.0 & 2.0 versions of the Skycamp. What I was able to determine via searches as iKamper did not publish any 1.0 vs 2.0 spec list.
Differences:
Graphics, 2.0 has a bigger outside logo, addition of inside world map graphics
clam shell Latches: 2.0 offers upgraded/lockable metal latch.
Ladder: 2.0 offers slanted rungs that level out when properly angled.
Window Awning: 2.0 offers bars to pop out window awings. (they offer retrofit kit now for 1.0)
Mattress: upgraded on 2.0

can you input any other items that you can think of between 1.0 vs 2.0? Is the outer hard shell made of different material? I might be able to get my hands on a fairly new 1.0 for $3k, but trying to figure out if the 2.0 is worth the additional $1K after tax and shipping.

Thanks in advance!

The_Squid

Hey there! I'm trying to figure out the differences between the 1.0 & 2.0 versions of the Skycamp. What I was able to determine via searches as iKamper did not publish any 1.0 vs 2.0 spec list.
Differences:
Window Awning: 2.0 offers bars to pop out window awings. (they offer retrofit kit now for 1.0)

can you input any other items that you can think of between 1.0 vs 2.0? Is the outer hard shell made of different material? I might be able to get my hands on a fairly new 1.0 for $3k, but trying to figure out if the 2.0 is worth the additional $1K after tax and shipping.

Thanks in advance!

I don’t know the differences between 1 & 2, but a couple things...

The fibreglass is not flimsy on mine like it was in the original post review.

The mattress may have been upgraded, but, for me, it’s too thin. We throw a 3” memory foam up there. I don’t find that to be a big deal.

We have really liked the Skycamp 2.0 a lot.

Is it worth an extra $1k? Boy... that’s a tough call, especially not knowing much about version 1.

shoredreamer

Observer
Differences:

Thanks in advance!

Hey! Oh man. Having owned one of the first Kickstarter versions myself and now owning a 2.0 as well as selling tons of them, the real question between the ”1.0“ and 2.0 is what haven’t they changed. They constantly refine their product with little details and the 2.0 is definitely a solid jump up from the original version they made.

Besides the major points you pointed out above, some of the smaller upgrades and refinements include:

-reshaped fiber reinforced plastic shell (less pronounced rear hump, stiffer and sleeker look)
-iKamper shell logo got relocated and is now hard plastic stick on that can easily be removed vs. old puffy plastic sticky lettering
-straps for pulling fabric inward when closing (huge overlooked upgrade/no tucking needed to close)
-thicker fly fabric
-more breathable, refined canvas
-storm flap on window able to zip open or closed from the inside vs old outside only zipper tab
-all zipper tabs are now non metal with logo (no more wind chimes at night)
-tighter fitting, larger covering fly
-interior storage pockets below the windows
-all gloss finish models include wax protectant for the shell

Hope that helps. I’d say the 2.0 is a worthy upgrade.

jocww

7 months later any more updates? Im trying to decide on my first rtt for my gladiator. Im looking at the 2.0, condor, and alpha 2

The_Squid

7 months later any more updates? Im trying to decide on my first rtt for my gladiator. Im looking at the 2.0, condor, and alpha 2

We absolutely love our iKamper. We've had issues with the locking mechanism, but they sent us a new one under warranty.

tempImagekCmNzv.jpg

jocww

Ok now I just gotta find one for a great price. I think I will splurge more for the Ikamper. I think a mini would look just right on the JTRD

Last edited:

donmontalvo

I wrestled for months before deciding to get a new iKamper Skycamp Mini. I knew version 3.0 was coming out. So I took that as an opportunity to look for a good deal on a 2.0.

Main Line Overland in West Chester, PA, had one on display. I drooled over it for months. Then one day they put a discount on it, and I jumped on it!

They held it for a week while I bought and installed a Rhino-Rack Backbone base and Vortex crossbars.

I drove over and they mounted the iKamper. Its too cold to test it out. My limit is 40 degrees. I got plenty of sub-zero camping experinence at Fort Drum in the US Army (79-85). :)

I opened it up and got inside, and it is quite roomy. I'm 5'5" and 200 or so pounds, and I can tell it can fit two of me. Plus maybe a small dog.

The only time I ever struggled with a decision, and ended up spending more than I wanted, was when I bought my Dometic CFX3 35 fridge, which to this day I'm so happy I went with it.

Though I haven't sleep in it yet, just getting inside and having a feel for the quality and comfort, I'm so happy I did it.

Now I just need to figure out how to add lights to the inside, and under the fold out section. This way when I add the awning I'll be able to see when I get out in the middle of the night to pee. LOL

267209134_10227275044328459_5509568225960250693_n.jpg
IMG_0085.jpeg

The_Squid

Now I just need to figure out how to add lights to the inside, and under the fold out section.

We just use Luminoodle string lights for outside and/or inside our vestibule. Nothing fancy, but they work well. If you have a portable power pack, you can recharge the battery during the day.

luminoodle-led-light-rope

Inside the actual tent, we use a small rechargeable lantern. Luminoodle would work inside too, but they are a bit too bright in such a small space.

tempImagee9HamP.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier