iKamper Skycamp initial thoughts and observations

shoredreamer

Observer
We test fit a Tepui Deluxe 72x96 mattress in there and it fit, but wasn't a thorough test. Once I heal from surgery I'll be playing around with the tent. Can't do much now except stare at it right now haha

pawwright

See I have a thermarest neoair and find it extremely comfortable, but it is 3" thick and filled with air.

But this 1"pad BS really gets to me. Especially after spending 3k on this thing. I'll need to look online and see if I can order a custom foam mattress for it. May just go with a super high density 3-4" mattress and get rid of the original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you, no argument. I've been looking at this, but don't feel like spending the extra cash presently.

No argument from me, I agree......I've been looking at this, but don't feel like spending the money, presently.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00PZKU3F2/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2TBWIQFSY3W9Q&colid=1DX6PSXSN4CCC

ttengineer

Adventurer
I agree with you, no argument. I've been looking at this, but don't feel like spending the extra cash presently.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00PZKU3F2/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2TBWIQFSY3W9Q&colid=1DX6PSXSN4CCC

I actually emailed Exped about having a custom mega duo made. They emailed me back saying they can't do custom mats but in March will be releasing a medium size duo that is 40x72. So 2 of them would be just about perfect for the sky camp. Sadly it will probably be a $400+ upgrade. AND, there is no guarantee that they will fit when deflated. Mega mats are HUGE even when deflated.

pawwright

I actually emailed Exped about having a custom mega duo made. They emailed me back saying they can't do custom mats but in March will be releasing a medium size duo that is 40x72. So 2 of them would be just about perfect for the sky camp. Sadly it will probably be a $400+ upgrade. AND, there is no guarantee that they will fit when deflated. Mega mats are HUGE even when deflated.

Nice, thanks for the info - dang, I was hoping that deflated they would work......

ttengineer

Adventurer
Full disclosure, I just traded the iKamper for a James Baroud Evasion XXL. Yes it's smaller, which sucks, but I think it will work out better for the time being. Luckily I met a guy locally that was willing to trade because he did not realize the xxl would be so wide on his roof.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

harbinger808

Adventurer
I’m actually glad I got out of the KS program when I did. I’ll stick with our 1.6M Howlingmoon Stargazer and wait for the 2nd or 3rd GEN iKamper.
What really threw me off was when after months of being told 6x they could make one that opened on the the US Driver side, I was finally told they can’t right before the campaign ended and the entire shipping of Poly Vs. Canvas crap going to Cali.
I still think that this is the best use of space for any RTT but they need to figure things out more before I give them my hard earned money.

shoredreamer

Observer
That's funny I just went from a James Baroud Grand Raid XXL to the Skycamp. The JB is super plush, big mattress, warm and withstands wind better than the Skycamp. It was just too big on my truck and too small inside for my family of 4. Also getting in and out of the JB got tiring cl8mbing over people to get in and out. Entering at the foot of a bed is much easier like the Skycamp and most soft shells. The kids have a blast in the Skycamp and literally run around up there. The mattress is weak though. But I'm adding 2 large Thermarest SoLite pads to the main floor for firm padding, heat retention and anti condensation. Also new adjustable padlockable latches for closing the shell will be riveted on.

jpachard

Adventurer
Just wanted to add a comment on the rotomolding vs fiberglass. While rotomolding has its advantages, weight definitely isn’t comparable to well layer up fiberglass. The other challenge is, depending on wether cross linked or linear linked plastic is used, rotomolded parts can be soft. One would have to design in many stiffening features to ensure structural integrity, further driving up the weight. The final challenge would be maintaining good manufacturing tolerances, given the shrinkage across such large parts. Not saying all this couldn’t be done, but for the volumes these manufacturers do vs the cost of tooling, it would present some pretty big challenges.

Cheers, James

Happycoop

Observer
My thoughts after a 10 day trip

Rented a JKU with the iKamper Skycamp and spent just over a week traveling through Utah. Many of the pros and cons have already been mentioned, so I'll only comment on a couple of things:

- Love the simplicity ... on a couple nights we camped with a number of folks using CVT and Tepui RTTs and the iKamper was a fraction of the setup time. We could park and be completely set up and starting to cook while they were still getting their tents set up. Same with breakdown in the morning ... it just folds up and you drive away, no cover to mess with.

- The ladder has fairly large set increments where it locks into place ... this can make it difficult to get an even height for that portion (remember the ladder is a structural support for the fold-out portion of the clamshell design).

- We tried to leave our sleeping bag inside the Skycamp (a double-width zero degree Alps Mountaineering bag...cheapo that came with the Jeep rental) ... no joy. It just wouldn't close with the extra volume in there. That being said, the Alps Mountaineering stuff is cheap, and doesn't exactly compress the way a nicer bag would.

- I'll echo the odd design of the outer flaps ... makes it difficult to vent the tent well. The temperature ranged from the 30s to 50s and we never really had an issue with it. Even with a fair amount of condensation in the morning, we could pack up, fold the tent up, and drive away and when we set up at night we never had a wet tent (so the ventilation was enough to dry it out in the few minutes it took us to load up everything else).

- Whatever tent you mount, I would suggest using some loctite on the bolts. On our rental, I would tighten one of the screws down at each fuel-up, and by the 8th day we actually lost one of the 4 screws holding the tent to the roof rack. That said, it held (which I was amazed at, as I was driving in excess of 80mph on the Interstate).

Overall, I would say it's a good entry into the market. Our rental JKU averaged almost 17 mpg, full loaded with camping gear, two adults, and the roof rack with iKamper Skycamp. Not bad at all IMHO. The whole experience was good enough that I'm considering buying a few Jeeps and outfitting them to use as rentals (I spoke with the owner of the Utah-based company and she was happy to share business ideas as I'm located in Florida).

pawwright

Rented a JKU with the iKamper Skycamp and spent just over a week traveling through Utah. Many of the pros and cons have already been mentioned, so I'll only comment on a couple of things:

- Whatever tent you mount, I would suggest using some loctite on the bolts. On our rental, I would tighten one of the screws down at each fuel-up, and by the 8th day we actually lost one of the 4 screws holding the tent to the roof rack. That said, it held (which I was amazed at, as I was driving in excess of 80mph on the Interstate).

Nice review, thanks. I wonder if they replaced nuts with other nuts or it has something to do with the type of crossbars? My install came with nyloc nuts and they haven't moved at all, and I was up there with you on the speed on the highway. I've seen other people say they received regular nuts and that they've sheared off the bolts. But glad it all held together, either way. :)

Happycoop

Observer
Nice review, thanks. I wonder if they replaced nuts with other nuts or it has something to do with the type of crossbars? My install came with nyloc nuts and they haven't moved at all, and I was up there with you on the speed on the highway. I've seen other people say they received regular nuts and that they've sheared off the bolts. But glad it all held together, either way. :)
I am fairly certain your guess is correct, as the screw that we eventually lost just did not seem like a standard issue grade type (looked more like a leftover from someone's toolbox). My assumption is that it's not a reflection of the tent manufacturer but rather a poor install job...but I wanted to pass along the loctite suggestion as it may prove useful either way.

krax

Adventurer
Is iKamper making improvements to the tents shipping now vs. the first batch? They're adding new products to their website, which tells me they're not about to go out of business.

I think the combination of hard shell and soft shell features is genius, but I'm leery of it being too good to be true.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I have not seen any official improvements.

I know they switched the rain fly early on from the first batch to the full production line.

shoredreamer

Observer
There have been a lot of small improvements to the iKamper since the first containers came in.
-the shell is reshaped slightly and looks slightly “sleeker” in the lines.
-they offer a Line-X type finish to the shell now too for a slight cost increase. Should be sturdier and hide bushwhacking scratches better.
-mattress is made of better quality, high density foam and is just slightly thicker than before. It also comes with a quilted mattress cover that matches the inside quilting on the shell.
-locking metal latches are now stardard
-shell hinges are also different and beefed up with options for removal

All in all I’d say the construction is more refined and the tent is better than ever. I own one of the first ones made and have extensive access to the new ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles