IID Gap BT tool questions

rcharrette

Adventurer
Hi all, I've had my LR3 for almost 6 years now and it has 190K miles on it. I've been using lift rods for all those years as well, installing and removing as needed. Last month when removing one of the rear rods I finally did it, I snapped the plastic arm on the sensor. Anyway, for a number of reasons (no rods, diag, repairs, etc) I've been considering the GAP tool with BT.
I was about to pull the trigger this morning when I noticed the "fine print" at the bottom of the page that says firmware upgrades are free for the first year then 500GPB (about $650) after that. Do most of you not update your tool?
Also, since my truck is getting up there in age I may move over to an LR4 in the future. Will it be possible to "reset" the tool and use it on a newer LR4 (say 2015ish)?
Thanks for the help!

I just read a bit closer and it looks like updates are just for the Pro version I guess. So scratch question one unless I'm misunderstanding.

Last edited:

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Randy,

Never had to pay to update the tool, yes it probably refers to the PRO version. They have even been good when requesting a specific firmware getting that to you. You can move from one LR3 to another for sure, you pay a fee ($50 I think) to add another VIN, not sure about LR3 to LR4. I imagine the only difference is the firmware on the tool, but perhaps their menus are different meaning you would need a model-specific one for say an L322 vs L319

jethro5

Anyone using the iLand tool yet? It's comparable but less expensive and can be used on a family of rovers so expands beyond a specific Vin.

Contemplating purchasing one...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Anyone using the iLand tool yet? It's comparable but less expensive and can be used on a family of rovers so expands beyond a specific Vin.

Judging by the few blurbs I have read, it does code clearing and a few other limited things. Can it do ECU flashing, manually inflate each airbag, lock out EAS faults, etc? I'd recommend IID tool instead.

jethro5

Judging by the few blurbs I have read, it does code clearing and a few other limited things. Can it do ECU flashing, manually inflate each airbag, lock out EAS faults, etc? I'd recommend IID tool instead.
It does do those as well per the videos Atlantic British has released.

It also does things previously one needed test book to do on our beloved D1s like reset the ECU for hunting idel and give readouts on srs and abs errors and reset them too.

That's why I'm really interested!

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
It does do those as well per the videos Atlantic British has released.

It also does things previously one needed test book to do on our beloved D1s like reset the ECU for hunting idel and give readouts on srs and abs errors and reset them too.

That's why I'm really interested!

Hi Jethro,
Could you please post a link to the videos you mention? I just scanned through the vids and did not see anything on flashing, inflating individual air springs, etc.

I don't know much about the iLand tool, but it looks very similar to a system sold by Britpart in Europe and made in China. Britpart sells exclusively in Europe and it says on the AB site that this tool is exclusive to the US, so I will assume it is the same device under a different brand name.

I do not have the time to address everything here, but suffice to say, there is an enormous difference between the iLand and the IIDTool. I am not impartial and everyone reading this will realize that immediately - so take it for what you believe it's worth. Actually, we are looking forward to a few (not too many hopefully :)) purchasing this tool so that information becomes available on the forums. We'd love some real comparisons.

Two quick items as far as a comparison goes:
1. We do not cover the D1, D2 or the P38 Range Rover. The iLand does.
2. The full functionality of the iLand is more or less equivalent to our basic functionality which is VIN-lock free on every IIDTool BT. This makes the individual user IIDTool BT more or less equivalent to the iLand Pro which sells for $1495. The one exception to this is EAS calibration which we have VIN-locked on the IIDTool BT. Additional VIN licenses are available - and using this function to raise or lower the suspension is more than impractical. And that is putting it mildly.

The functionality is more or less equivalent to the earlier Britpart Lynx/Bearmach Hawkeye diagnostic system. They've just gone over to the dongle/app architecture. It is not really a competitor to the IIDTool (unless you have a D2/P38).

But I am not impartial...

rlynch356

Defyota
if it works on 14CUX that would be really cool.

you just need a rovergauge for 14cux... and even then its neat but not really necessary. You only have to buy the cable (or you can make one).

no charge for personal IID tooll updates - at least i haven't had any and i update mine when ever something new comes out.

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
Oh yes. Sorry forgot. The charges are only for the IIDTool Pro. And the main reason for that is not so much the updates, but the more intensive levels of support as well as the fact that LR ECU updates are included in the costs. And this is time consuming. BT customers are charged a small fee for LR ECU update files.

ar4me

Adventurer
How can the iidtool not (yet) be able to display the status of the emissions monitors...? Seems so basic. I asked GAP tech support and they claimed it is coming in "some" months... So much for one tool being able to handle all your needs. I like my iidtool, but that was a bit disappointing to find out when I needed it. My regular OBDII scanner, for some reason, is incompatible with the LR4 - not a cheap one. Whenever it has been connected it renders the vehicle in a state where it won't recognize any key - only solution is to disconnect battery, and then all monitors and codes are reset...

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
Hi ar4me,
Emissions readiness monitors is just one of many items on our to-do list. It is not a requirement in our major markets and as such has not received highest priority.

It may seem basic and simple from the outside, but for us it involves quite a bit of work to implement, test, and validate across all models. We have to place priorities and decide what functions and features will make our customer base most happy - and some items simply end up being lower on the list than others.

We are a small company - we really do our best... Sorry. We'll get to it as soon as we can.

JerryRobertson

More questions about the IID Gap Tool

Steve, I come from the offroad motorcycle realm so I don't have the knowledge of some of other members. Recently I bought a 08 LR3 for a couple of local club events here in Michigan, daily driver and overloading/vacations. I would like to keep the weight as low as possible, run tires that won't ruin the on road handling or strand me if I get a suspension fault.

I don't know anything about scan tools but many people are saying good things about your IIDTool (LLAN)?. On your web site you show 3 versions. The BT and standard version have the VIN locked for "advanced Programing". Under advanced programming it lists EGR patching. EGR Patching is also listed as "purchase separately". Am I understanding it correctly that I could purchase the IIDToolBT and at an additional cost be able to adjust my suspension above "off road height" (similar to a rod system), on the trail if needed?

One Last thing is the IIDToolBT internet dependent or would I be able to use it say in the middle of Nevada or Utah without Cellular signals.

Sorry about the basic questions
I think this is much more functional than a rod system.
Thanks for your time and information
Jerry Robertson

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
Hi Jerry,
No problem in answering your questions. They are actually all valid. Diagnostic tools are quite complex and the learning curve is steep at the beginning.

I'll reply in the order you asked:
- The Llams and its competitor by Mudtech are separate systems that don't have anything to do with the IIDTool or our products. They control the suspension height by giving the EAS ECU false height readings so that the system compensates by raising or lowering the vehicle. Sort of like electronic rods. The advantage of these systems is that you can change the suspension height instantly, while with the IIDTool you need to stop the vehicle, plug in and change height (about 45-60sec). Disadvantages are price for a limited functionality and, because they are installed permanently in the EAS wiring, you are adding a potential source of problems.
- There are 3 versions of the IIDTool: Pro, BT, and standard. The BT and standard are designed as individual (end-) user systems whereas the Pro is obviously... The big difference between the standard and the BT is the user interface: the BT uses an iOS / Android app via bluetooth where the standard uses the vehicles integrated display and cruise control switchgear (hence the name: Integrated Interface Diagnostic Tool).
- We have split the functionality into 2 categories, standard and advanced functionality. Standard functionality such as fault code read/clear, live values, service items, etc are VIN-lock free whereas advanced functions such as flashing, EAS reprogramming, CCF, etc are limited to one VIN (additional VIN licenses are available). The standard functionality is equivalent to the full functionality available in most other diagnostic tools for Land Rover.
- We provide some basic flash files with the system, but most require either a small administration fee (LR OEM ECU updates) or in the case of re-maps (chip tunes) they are sold for an additional fee. EGR patching is essentially a re-map and is sold for an additional fee. It is uploaded to the IIDTool via USB/the IIDTool Updater program (Win/OSx) and flashed to the vehicle.
- Height adjustment is very simple - see vid link (RR Sport being lowered using the vehicle's integrated interface). In addition, we provide 3 memory slots so that you can save your height profiles (e.g. normal tires, off road tires on street, off road) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXzFDaiSmhM
- The IIDTool is self-contained. The diagnostic SW is in the tool and you simply control the SW with the app. No outside connectivity needed. We started as a group of off-road enthusiasts... :))

Feel free to ask more anytime!
Steve

JerryRobertson

Thanks Steve

The last two posts between Steve and I were from a PM i sent to Steve. Steve suggested I post them so everyone could benefit from the info.
To me the Gap tool is the most functional way to go. Thats not to say the rods my not work for others.
I now need to determine what tire size to go with, 275/65 R18 or 265/65 R18. I will be doing only a couple of local club off road events each year, and an overland trip. Most of the time will be daily driving and will probably put the stock 19's on for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles