Igor's 2002 Montero gen 3 build

Igorskiy86

Observer
Got my results from the trip and I would say the average is about 16MPG. I had a few tanks where I drove at slower speeds that were in 17 to 18MPG range, and a few at about 14MPG, but the 14 was while driving at 75 to 80. If I keep it around 65 to 70 then 16 is achievable pretty easy. BFG TA KO2 ride really well, they seem much softer then coopers and barely have any noise at all. I finally gave in and did some trimming on my bumper and also rear door plastic trim, now there should not be any rub under extreme articulation. Next I will be adding about 15 to 20mm of lift, but that is still in the future.
When I went to NW Overland Rally in Washington it became obvious to me that I need an awning after setting up my camp in rain, so now one is purchased and installed. A vendor at the show gave a good price and I just had to get it. Install was simple and it works great!

Igorskiy86

Observer
20160628_135430.jpg

20160707_135150.jpg

Igorskiy86

Observer
No, I did not take any, but can take one tomorrow. I only trimmed the piece that is attached to the door as that is where I saw a few tire marks. If you look at the trim with the door closed then you will see how door trim extends about an inch further under the car then the trim on rear fender. I just made it about even.

Igorskiy86

Observer
Have not posted on here in a while, but the build is pretty much done, and I just picked up another project a Lexus LX470 which is essentially a 100 series land cruiser. I still have the montero and it did great on a few recent trips. Since last post I put about 2000 miles off road as well as 15000 miles all together, most of them going to off road destinations. Here are a few pics from this years trip to Utah.

B80E4755-10D8-4A45-83FF-1129337625A4.jpg

329B28B1-B66F-40D9-BCA5-A4E4B729C508.jpg

F7A31574-F5CB-43AB-AE76-750096059814.jpg

Igor, thanks for sharing. Great stuff. Your Monty looks beefy and well-balanced and is serving as inspiration for by own build-up. I'm struggling with rubbing issues (285/75/16) so it's good to know that you made an even bigger tire work.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
************, one of the best Gen3 builds I've ever seen! Well done Igor.

Are you going to keep it as you build the Lexus? Which one will get better mpgs by the way?

Igorskiy86

Observer
************, one of the best Gen3 builds I've ever seen! Well done Igor.

Are you going to keep it as you build the Lexus? Which one will get better mpgs by the way?

I will be keeping both of them for now unless someone makes me an offer that pays for what I have in it. As of right now, the Lexus is getting a better fuel economy. The tire size is pretty close on both cars, but Lexus gets about 15 to 16 mpg corrected for tire size, and Montero gets 13 to 15 corrected. I might be able to get better economy out of Lexus but with the power it has I usually drive around 75mph which kills some of the economy, and Montero really struggles going over 70.

Igorskiy86

Observer
Igor, thanks for sharing. Great stuff. Your Monty looks beefy and well-balanced and is serving as inspiration for by own build-up. I'm struggling with rubbing issues (285/75/16) so it's good to know that you made an even bigger tire work.

295's were a bit of a challenge to make work, and took some cutting but nothing too bad. The only down side to those tires is it feels like there isn't enough power anymore even though I have re geared it. I am considering going back down to 265 75 16 tires since my Lexus will be a more dedicated off road car, and I can loose a bit of clearance and capability with the Montero in exchange for better fuel economy and better driving characteristics on the freeway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles