Igloo Hinge Repair

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
The new style Igloo cooler hinge is just a thin strip of plastic, which of course has a relatively short life. Upon finding a new pair would set me back about $7, I opted for a quick repair by cutting a piece plastic from a plastic jug and installed it behind the two halves of the original hinge. Seems to work pretty well and the supply of repair material is readily available. The old style hinges are actually hinges and don't seem to have the same short life span issues.

I have my share of Igloo products and expanded the fleet with a new MaxCold 50 qt. model that I found on sale while hunting for parts. Can't quite bring myself to spring for a Yeti yet, but they sure look nice. The MaxCold does well at holding ice, but keeping critters out is not one of its strong points.

Attachments

• Old Style Hinge.JPG
    Old Style Hinge.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Broken Hinge.JPG
    Broken Hinge.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Igloo Stack.JPG
    Igloo Stack.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Fixed Hinge.JPG
    Fixed Hinge.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 34

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I did the same thing, but rather than using plastic, I recommend using a piece of a nylon strap as a "patch". I repaired a 10 year old coleman steel in this way at it has been working great for two years. It's important to keep the original (and broken) hinge because it serves as a washer and keep the lid from folding back when opened.

Strizzo

Explorer
you can find igloo replacement parts at academy and probably most other sporting goods stores, might even be able to find some of the old style, too.

have you been to the igloo factory/outlet out I-10 west of houston? might be able to get the good hinges from there if they're still making them...

Honu

lost on the mainland
worked on Dive boats 15 years and we would use Nylon webbing when the hinges broke ! just get a 2 inch wide piece and how ever long you want the hinge to be and bolt through both sides with stainless hardware
never had issues after that cheap and handy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94