If you plan on buying a manufactured trailer there are a few things you need to know

ottsville

Observer
...Of course there couldn’t possibly be a time where you find a place to refill your clean water tank long (days maybe) before you empty any grey/black water tanks...

via Tapatalk on an evil pocket calculator with a flashy screen
The probability of having all three tanks full is effectively nil. If your grey and black tanks are full, there is no reason to fill your fresh tank as there will be no place to use it excepting throwing it on the ground.

oliverlove

Adventurer
If anyone has insight to the new companies importing trailers into the US and quality concerns or kudos for a quality brand it would be great to see this thread updated with that info.

Until I read this thread I had no idea the Black Series of campers were being sold here or that they were made in China.

blackohio

Observer
Also, if youre registering a home built utility trailer in California, theres a good chance they wont even inspect it. All dude did was ask me weight.

NevetsG

So, the OP is giving us a heads up that RV's are going to get worse rather than better because they are being manufactured in China? Quite frankly most RV's manufactured in the US are complete junk, and if it takes a foreign market to kick US manufactures in the ass, then, good, they earned it.

Don't tell us it is about money, because that is BS. Too many times I've seen stripped fasteners, poor fastener placement, poor adhesive spread, missing fasteners, missing clamps, split or broken frames, no sealant, cut wires, and I could go on and on. Most RV's have blatant crap workmanship, and it is rampant in the RV industry, so the good 'ol boy certifications are completely meaningless in an unregulated industry.

End of rant...

Chi-Town

The guy under the car
So, the OP is giving us a heads up that RV's are going to get worse rather than better because they are being manufactured in China? Quite frankly most RV's manufactured in the US are complete junk, and if it takes a foreign market to kick US manufactures in the ass, then, good, they earned it.
Don't tell us it is about money, because that is BS. Too many times I've seen stripped fasteners, poor fastener placement, poor adhesive spread, missing fasteners, missing clamps, split or broken frames, no sealant, cut wires, and I could go on and on. Most RV's have blatant crap workmanship, and it is rampant in the RV industry, so the good 'ol boy certifications are completely meaningless in an unregulated industry.

I know it's hard to believe but the Chinese can make a decent product if the quality control and engineering is monitored and enforced firmly.

The problem is most of the manufacturers over there simply buy someone else's product and copy it cosmetically and don't understand the engineering behind what they have built. This leads to product that have a lot of issues and lead anyone who buys it down a long road of disappointment.

I completely agree that the US manufacturers are going to have to get a lot better if they don't want to lose a huge chunk of the market share.

It will be an interesting next few years for the RV industry.

Supermanbaja

I work in the RV industry as an independent consultant currently and I am cautiously watching as I see a few off shore companies make their way in to the US market.

I'm putting this post up as a "sort of guide" to things you should be looking out for when you consider an off shore brand.

First thing is Federal Vehicle Motor Safety Standards (FMVSS for short). These are the standards that every vehicle that touches the road is required to meet. Yes there are separate standards for trailers (even home built ones).

These include but are not limited to: (The short and easy list to check for consumers)
Wheels and Tires - Both wheel and tire must be SAE/DOT approved and the manufacturer must keep a record of serial numbers from all tires installed on trailers (In case of Recall)
Hitches - These also must be SAE /DOT compliant. Manufacturer must have documentation showing the testing was done.
Lighting - Must be SAE / DOT compliant in function, location, and color. (Tip: Most lights from China that say DOT/SAE usually will not pass testing here in the US)
Fuel Storage - This one crosses over to ANSI 1192 standards also. You cannot store a fuel container in a compartment! (There are ways around this like having over 50% of the floor open for venting)

Here's the fun ones.

NFPA ANSI 1192 Standards on Recreational Vehicles
These are required by all 50 states to legally use the RV/Trailer at any campground or state / national park.
These cover all construction safety standards that should be in place when the trailer is built. (Think of this as housing code for RVs)
The RVIA is the leading organization to certify that trailers meet these standards. There are smaller certified engineering firms that can do it also.

Short list for consumers to check:
All plumbing or items that come in to contact with water need a NSF certification. This includes but not limited to pipes, tanks, pumps, sinks/showers, water filters. Look for the NSF seal on them.
All 110v Electrical needs UL Certification
All 12v Electrical needs UL or CE Certification
Ventilation must meet standard

The manufacturer should be able to produce supporting documentation for all parts and materials used. Do use caution I have seen these documents forged so don't hesitate to call the certifying body to check legitimacy.

I hope this helps you guys understand what you should be looking for in a trailer, if you have any questions post up and I'll do my best to answer them.
Great info thanks

Supermanbaja

I know it's hard to believe but the Chinese can make a decent product if the quality control and engineering is monitored and enforced firmly.

The problem is most of the manufacturers over there simply buy someone else's product and copy it cosmetically and don't understand the engineering behind what they have built. This leads to product that have a lot of issues and lead anyone who buys it down a long road of disappointment.

I completely agree that the US manufacturers are going to have to get a lot better if they don't want to lose a huge chunk of the market share.

It will be an interesting next few years for the RV industry.
Iv worked in the RV ind. for the last 18 years and my biggest complaint is that crap that the RV companies are making and shipping out to the dealers and it just makes me sad that they are making them so bad and charging more money for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94