If you had to do it AGAIN...

swrider

Observer
Well, what would you choose???
Kind of at a crossroads. My current truck is a 2014 Silverado which is basically stock.
Finally saved up enough to drop a new set of shocks all around, Fox 2.0's, BDS 4" Lift matched to Methods wrapped in 33's.
This would basically get me what I always wanted in my rig with one exception.
Between work and play, the truck's accumulated just shy of 160K miles, the majority of which include towing around 8,500lbs on a weekly basis.
My fear is that I dump all my money into it and then have to deal with expensive mechanical repairs due to it's age and mileage.
So I'm considering selling it and going with something newer with way less miles, but with all the choices out there, well...
What would you all pick?
FYi, I do mostly desert trails in Southern Nevada, going out to find remote camping locations, not really into rock crawling, if that makes any sense.
Thanks all.

billiebob

Definitely a good time to sell.
Lots of people on long waiting losts. lots of $$$ for discresionary items. Easy loans so far.

The sell is the easy part.

What to buy.....
All the above reasons say if you like what you have keep it, maintain it, invest in it.
With todays labour and supply issues you might get something far less reliable, even if you just buy another Silverado.
The state of manufacturing is not as reliable as it was 8 years ago.

160K miles, it is just well broke in. Keep it.

Buy something new strictly for work.... maybe used? maybe much more basic, low miler, ex government truck or lease return. Maybe a "commuter"?

Last edited:

swrider

Observer
160K miles, it is just well broke in. Keep it.

You don't think that's too many miles, any idea what the service life is on the 5.3 V8 and transmission combo?
I love this truck, looks good and drives great, so if I don't have to worry about mechanical issues or being stranded in the middle of nowhere, then it's a keeper.

billiebob

if I don't have to worry about mechanical issues or being stranded in the middle of nowhere, then it's a keeper.
where is the middle of no where?
and why do you think we are building vehicles better today?
many of the most famous overlanders did it all in really old vehicles.
my '05 TJR never let me down in almost 280K miles until it met a Bimmer head on.

there are lots of wear items to keep maintained.... brakes, driveline u-joints/CV-joints, belts, tires, shocks.... a new rad.... a good shop/mechanic is gold.
In the past 30 years, YJ, LJ, TJR, TJR.... I averaged $1K a year on the YJ, closer to $2K a year today but the latest is a low mile '06 with 110K miles today.
My YJ had 300K miles when I sold it..... for $3500.

The expensive item I avoid like the plague is an automatic transmission. Properly driven a manual and clutch will out live the vehicle.

Walkers

Just have the tranny rebuilt, as that is within roughly 30k miles in your future, and you are good for a long while I usually drive them for 350 to 400k miles and sell them as good running trucks. I work them hard too.

Wilbah

Adventurer
160 isn't bad if, as others said, you've kept up on maintenance. I will say there's something nice about having a vehicle you know all the quirks to. Also you might start shocking a couple hundred a month into an acct for any big maintenance that crops up. I drive vehicles into the ground (250k is abt average). In those last years when it's paid for I always figured my "payment" was $750 to $1,000/year, I just didn't know when it would hit. But I'd always have something I needed to do that was in that range.

My only thought about trading is there will likely be a bunch of diesels coming on the market given the cost of fuel and a gasser might hold its value where you might be able to arbitrage it up a bit. I don't know what you get for mileage but that might make a difference although the cost difference between diesel and gas may make that moot right now. The other risk is buying a "new to you" you don't know how well the previous owner maintained it.

I agree with billiebob's tranny comment. I had a vw w/....i forget now but 350k-400k or so? Still had the original clutch. I only used it at stops or shifting into reverse. Once I was rolling in 1st I never used it up or down in 2-5. Manuals last.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Seems like it would be less expensive to buy drive train parts and maintain a vehicle after the pay off than to trade in and start with a new and more expensive, ie, payments and insurance over the term of a new loan.
Replacement transmission and engine with today's labor rate should be less than 50-60k I would think ?

ThundahBeagle

2014 GMc Sierra here. Basically stock. 5.3 l engine and 6 speed auto transmission...

If you are not feeling any odd "bucking" from the transmission when slowing and speeding up, and if you have kept up with your oil changes with the proper oil type, and follow up with all of the basic maintenance items as @billiebob mentioned, you should be fine.

I will say, with a 4 inch lift on these trucks, if it wasnt done right with special new UCA's, you will be looking at ball joints a lot more often

ThundahBeagle

Get handy with a wrench
Get on the Silverado forums
Sock away 2 bills a month
Find a good trustworthy, fair (notice I didnt say cheap) mechanic

Or

Be a person who trades in every 160k miles or so and there is nothing wrong with that either. Just account for that payment and insurance rates. If I were going to trade, I'd be looking at a Trail Boss or a current generation Toyota 4Runner

ITTOG

I have the 2018 F150 3.5L Twin Turbo. Whatever you do, don't get it. Both the first gen and second gen 3.5L are turds, for different reasons though. I started having issues with the engine at about 25,000 miles and with the truck at about 500 miles. I am probably around 10 recalls now and had to have the front end of the engine replaced (camp phasers, chain, water pump) but I will say for the past six months the truck has been reliable. It just took a long time getting here.

Hi,
It really depends on how well the vehicle has been maintained. My Avalanche 2500 currently has 233,000 miles and I'm getting it ready for an extended trip into Mexico. I'm renewing suspension, brakes, etc that tend to age, but the engine is sound. It's always had synthetic oil changed every 3,000 miles and everything has been documented in it's log book. The engine is an 8.1L with a 4L85E transmission.

In the long run I'm not buying a new vehicle and getting stuck with 48 months of payments and having to wonder if all of the new electronics will cause over the years that I own it.

I guess it's a question that you have to ask yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier