If money was no object, I’d get an Earth Roamer....

Porkchopexpress

But, Since my budget doesn’t support and my off-road needs don’t require Earth Roamer capabilities, I’m looking at other options. I didn’t want to thread jack but my situation is very similar to vanaddict’s “ready to make a larger commitment” thread. I want to explore North America on 98% paved, 2% dirt roads. Not quite full time living but maybe a few months at a time.
Coincidentally, I have been looking at Northern Lite campers as suggested below. I would probably put it on an F-450 because of the tighter turn radius from the wider front axle.
What do you think of this? These are ~$50k new. Add the truck and you are still under $100k for all new stuff. Similar used models in good shape can be found much cheaper. This is just a random sample BTW, I'm not knowledgeable about campers. I searched and found one that was molded fiberglass which seemed like a good idea.

10-2-se-001-1024x680.jpg

So, my question for those who are knowledgeable of Earth Roamer style builds, what would be on your short list of modifications on a dually/slide in camper set-up? I wouldn’t want to compromise on road comfort so knobby tires are probably out.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
You might look at the “Hard Side Camper” sub-forum right below this one in the listing. That forum speaks to the kinds of infomation I think you are looking for.

Porkchopexpress

You might look at the “Hard Side Camper” sub-forum right below this one in the listing. That forum speaks to the kinds of infomation I think you are looking for.
If the moderators want to move it, that’s fine. I thought that the earth Roamer build knowledge in this sub forum was more applicable.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
You can easily build something like this but way better insulated and outfitted to your taste with one of our campers. Usually our customers do this for well under 100.000 total cost including truck.

Attachments

• 65269358_891509447858873_1347004535477895168_n.jpg
    65269358_891509447858873_1347004535477895168_n.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 93
  • F350 01.jpg
    F350 01.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 91

gdaut

There are a lot of folks on here with more experience than me, so take this with some skepticism, but here are a few thoughts:

1) Is "not quite living, but a few months at a time" a few months (or weeks) not being in town, or a few months but in town at least every few days. If the former you need to look at fresh water and waste capacities. Some campers have about 20 gallon fresh water tanks, which is fine for a week or so (depending how many people and how much they like to shower). A lot of expedition type campers carry a lot more water, which is a lot of weight, but if you are away from a good fresh water source for a long time, a larger water tank would be good to have.
2) Toilets: black water tank, cassette, or composting. If a black tank, does it hold enough for how long you plan to be out, or can you empty it in the wild? A cassette does not hold a lot, but is easy to empty in the wild (assuming you can find a suitable location). I have a cassette, but wish for a composting toilet which (I am told) need to be emptied less often (and are less nasty when you do). That is an upgrade I would look at.
3) Power: What electric things do you plan to use? Does the stock camper have enough battery to power all that? If not, LiFePo batteries may be a good upgrade. Also, do you plan to stay parked for extended periods (so that your truck alternator is not charging your batteries)? If so, extra solar panels might be good. If you plan to camp when there is not reliable sun (in the winter, say), having more battery is even more important.
4) Fridge size: If you are going to be able to shop every few days or even once a week a small fridge is fine. If you are out in the wild for weeks, and you like your beer plentiful and cold, a secondary or larger fridge may be nice.
5) Climate control: I use my camper in the winter. It is tolerably well insulated (more is always better) and has a diesel heater which does not use a lot of fuel and does not cause condensation. Many less expensive campers have propane heaters, which (I am told; never used one) use a lot of fuel and cause condensation. If you are using the heat to make the camper cozy in July in the high mountains propane is probably fine. If you are doing a 2 week ski road trip and running the heater 24 hours a day, a diesel heater is much better. Conversely, air coolers. I have heard there are now DC air conditioners that are feasible to run on solar and LiFePo batteries; if you camp in the desert in the summer, that might be nice.

MTVR

I just don't think we'd be willing to settle for something as small as an Earth Roamer.

And we desire much more off-road performance than something based on the same chassis as a U-Haul truck could ever deliver.

billiebob

If money were no object, I'd ship what I have to Australia, Chile, India, Russia, Romania..... and live.

98% highway, 2% dirt roads...... Sort of full time.... Forget 4WD, just buy a good smaller Class A.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz