If Jeep offered more choices.....

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I'd like to re-iterate and make this very clear:

The 3.0 VM / Motori Diesel has passed US Emissions testing.

It's coming to the North American Grand Cherokee in 2013, so there is absolutely nothing stopping it going into the Wrangler.
In the GC, it gets 28MPG combined, while making 237hp and 405 ft. lbs of torque.

(In Oz you can't get the Rubicon in diesel which is stupid, but you can in other overseas markets)

-Dan

EDIT: Fixed the ft. lbs. number as per Metcalf's correction

Last edited:

AsltPnr54

I'd like to re-iterate and make this very clear:

The 3.0 VM / Motori Diesel has passed US Emissions testing.

It's coming to the North American Grand Cherokee in 2013, so there is absolutely nothing stopping it going into the Wrangler.
In the GC, it gets 28MPG combined, while making 550 ft. lbs of torque.

(In Oz you can't get the Rubicon in diesel which is stupid, but you can in other overseas markets)

-Dan

This please, in this:

attachment.php

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The new VM/Fiat 3.0 diesel makes 237hp and 405ft/lbs

It's listed as 550 Nm........not ft lbs.

Now, its will probably make 500ft/lbs with a little computer altercations :)

toymaster

Explorer
If the fiat diesel is true and the numbers are real I'll be swapping one in as soon as I find a wreaked one. Shouldn't be over a year after release till you can find one.

snakedoctor

Would love to see that J12 go into production...crew cab, 5' bed, 3.0 diesel (or the 5.7 Hemi...the 6.4 would be ridiculous!), 6 speed manny, twin stick transfercase....6500lbs towing capacity, rhino lined flooring....

Basically give the Toyota Tacoma a run for its' money...

This

View attachment 95810

and this need to mate....

View attachment 95811

This! Im with you all the way I love my PU truck now that I had one and want to keep it but would love to have the jeep capabilities! BUT I want diesel!

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
If the fiat diesel is true and the numbers are real I'll be swapping one in as soon as I find a wreaked one. Shouldn't be over a year after release till you can find one.

I will be extremely surprised if AEV don't at least attempt the conversion once it's out in the GC to determine the feasibility. (like they did with the Liberty diesel)

-Dan

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I hope the new 3.0 diesel from VM/Fiat will fit in the JK chassis. The older 3.0 from benz would not easily fit because there was an interference issue with the steering box if I remember right.

I would be tickled pink with even the 2.8 in the Wrangler chassis. I have driven that combination and it is FANTASTIC overall. How does 24mpg pushing aggressive 37s around sound :)

In the modern diesel world, the 3.0 VM diesel in the wrangler would be so perfect. The 2012's already have the automatic needed for the swap, the engine will just bolt right to it from what I understand.

My reservations about modern diesel engines still stand however.Without the ability to run on 3rd world diesel fuel that isn't ultra low sulfur, I just don't know how attractive the engine would be for the expedition market?

Clutch

<---Pass
My reservations about modern diesel engines still stand however.Without the ability to run on 3rd world diesel fuel that isn't ultra low sulfur, I just don't know how attractive the engine would be for the expedition market?

Just delete the emission equipment....which is quite common with the modern PSD/Cummins crowd...

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Just delete the emission equipment....which is quite common with the modern PSD/Cummins crowd...

That's exactly what I was thinking about.
I'd like to "trick" the computer however possible to let me run low quality diesel.

I wonder if that will have any longevity impact on the engine itself, or if the only consequence will be nasty emissions. I'll cross that bridge when the diesel becomes reality.

-Dan

Clutch

<---Pass
That's exactly what I was thinking about.
I'd like to "trick" the computer however possible to let me run low quality diesel.

I wonder if that will have any longevity impact on the engine itself, or if the only consequence will be nasty emissions. I'll cross that bridge when the diesel becomes reality.

-Dan

Engines are the same...it is just the emission equipment that knows the difference.

Loads and loads of information on delete kits out there...

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Engines are the same...it is just the emission equipment that knows the difference.

Loads and loads of information on delete kits out there...

Nice. I was wondering if there would be horrible build-up on the injectors or anywhere else critical?
I figure I would run a very high grade diesel filter anyway when in 3rd world countries, so that would help with the "contaminants" side of things.

Thanks for the info... (sorry for the thread hijack)

-Dan

MOAK

Adventurer
If they offered a diesel with 6 speed manual in the JKU, and offered a stripped down Rubicon package, I'd order one tomorrow.. I don't need $12000 worth of mall crawler gizmology..

Vinman

Observer
How about a JK with the complete drivetrain out of a Powerwagon?
Hemi - check
5 speed auto - check
Strong diffs - check
4.56 gears - check
Selectable lockers - check

If Jeep would build that, I would almost like the JKs

Vince

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles