If Jeep offered more choices.....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I was going to make this a poll, but decided to just open it up for discussion......

If Jeep offered more engine options in the JK Wrangler (basically anything in there current inventory) what would you choose and why?

Let's try and keep this semi-realistic, the 6cyl Cummins will not fit in the JK :) If you want to talk about different transmissions, transfer case's, or axle choices that is very acceptable also, again...try and keep it somewhat realistic.

Other than a smattering of info spread out over about fifty other threads I haven't seen it try and be compiled in one place for the people at jeep to stumble upon.

Hondarider

Adventurer
I'm planning to go with the 5.7 liter Hemi VVT from Burnsville for my JK if I don't sell it to buy a 4Runner or a Cruiser instead. While I've always loved Wranglers, it's not great for the type of family travel and exploration that I'd like to be doing in the next 10 years. Unfortunately, I have over $30K into and it has 3500 miles on it...hate to take the loss of selling it.

Attachments

• 100_0969 (Medium).JPG
    100_0969 (Medium).JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 31

ryancrouch

I'd like to see a 3.0 diesel with possibly a 8 speed auto as well as an option to have the interior floor lined with spray on bed liner like they did for the JC12 concept.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Diesel.

The 3.0 coming to the 2013 GC would be great, although I really don't know if everyone needs 550 ft. lbs. of torque.
Maybe it's possible to use a 2.4 or 2.2 to get even better mileage.

If they offered a diesel, I would buy tomorrow.

2,666 people have signed at http://jeepdieselpetition.com to agree with me.

-Dan

88Xj

Banned
Theres the Isuzu 4bd1t/4bd2t also..cheaper than a 4bt & used widely in box trucks ect.

However I think jeep should bring back the inline6. The damn thing is insanely reliable, my 2 year old can work on it & parts are everywhere & cheap and interchangeable! However bring it back with changes.
Like myself, I'm making a efficient 4.2L..but jeep could keep the thing a 4.0L. Using the 232 crank & a .60 over bore you get 4.2L. Using a standard 3.875" piston makes a 4.06L. Use the old 232(3.8L) crank with a 3.500 stroke and use a 1.581-1.585" pin height pistons..this gives almost a zero deck or zero deck, pending block height. And would make for a much more responsive motor, better emissions, better power & mileage ect. Idk why they made a new crank to start with..the 242(4.0L) crank is a 3.410" stroke & the 242(4.0L) pistons have a 1.601" pin height..Should of thought that through better honestly..
They could do that & bring in a true torque cam..similar to the 96-06 dual pattern cam. The 87-95 cam was single pattern and didn't make balls for power or torque until 2800rpm, but it held power all the way to 5800rpm...not they we rev them that high lol.

My quench height will be .038..using a .043 Mopar head gasket, pistons .005 above deck. 12cc dish, polished combustion chambers, LS1 valves, springs & retainers. I will have a 9.7:1 compression ratio, run on 91octane & make a but load more power. And because the crank gives a zero deck with the correct off the shelf pistons, theres really not much machine work needed lol...super cheap to build & a but load more power!
I've got 1200 bucks into it, with a .60 over bore, dual roller timing set, aftermarket cam & lifters & LS1 valve train..The best part is, the "low buck 4.5L strokers"....this will make similar power..maybe more, because of the super tight quench height. And the 4.5L low buck still cost at least 1500 to build lol.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Diesel with a manual, thank you very much. Also would like heavier axles with leaf spring rear. My wife wants leather heated seats but bed linered floors with rubber floor mats.

forsakenfuture

Explorer
I'm planning to go with the 5.7 liter Hemi

VVT from Burnsville for my JK if I don't sell it to buy a 4Runner or a Cruiser instead. While I've always loved Wranglers, it's not great for the type of family travel and exploration that I'd like to be doing in the next 10 years. Unfortunately, I have over $30K into and it has 3500 miles on it...hate to take the loss of selling it.

What made you decide to go with a two door over a four?

Nomad_K

Adventurer
Just put one of the international diesels through U.S. emissions testing - 24.75 MPG COMBINED - then I would take a left hand drive, 2.8L diesel, with Dana 44's.

As far as towing capacity, I have seen a number of international models are rated to tow 2000 - 2300 kgs - well over the 4000 lbs someone asked about earlier.

The only thing with the current diesel offerings I saw in Australia - you can't get the diesel with the Dana 44 in the front.

TheTransporter

the problem with diesel here is that the emissions is MORE STRICT than europe is.

otherwise id say bring the diesel. but since owning a dodge cummins. i say anything other than diesel sadly. that truck bled in $1000 bills and you cant swing a dead stick at it without hitting something that cost a grand.

my cherokee on the other hand. me likey haha.

to answer the topic id love something like those eco boost engines. tho i have heard they dont return the gas mileage they tell u it does... :coffee:

The EPA is the problem and their blowing smoke up our *€€'s. how can burning one gallon of diesel fuel be worse than a gallon and a half of gasoline over the same distance? Of course that would mean less taxes collected because we'd be using less fuel. Don't drink the Kool Aid
I'd buy a diesel Jeep in a heartbeat if it wasn't all screwed up trying to pass Commiforina emissions. I like to be able to work on the stuff myself without having to work around a mind blowing contraption that is only there to provide a little less CO2 from the exhaust. What idiot decided that was something to limit? Next you'll have to wear a face masks to help convert the co2 that you exhale.

Clutch

<---Pass
Would love to see that J12 go into production...crew cab, 5' bed, 3.0 diesel (or the 5.7 Hemi...the 6.4 would be ridiculous!), 6 speed manny, twin stick transfercase....6500lbs towing capacity, rhino lined flooring....

Basically give the Toyota Tacoma a run for its' money...

This

xlarge.jpg

and this need to mate....

AEV-Brute-Double-Cab-Jeep-Wrangler-rear-quarter2-626x415.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94