if hiding spare truck key IN cab of 2020 F350 - an issue with truck getting confused that keys are IN the truck as well as out ?

LosAngeles

Hi - I sometimes go camping alone, and the best place to hide a 2nd set of backup keys for our F350 2020 (Lariat, so it has the keypad for keyless entry) would be IN the cab of the truck somewhere.

however i am concerned the truck would get confused, if there were one set of keys in the truck, (and would sense them) plus my set outside the truck.

would wrapping the keys in foil (?) be enough to make the truck not "see" the keys I had hidden in the truck, as a backup?

or any other clever solutions? so the truck does not 'see' the keys i had hidden in the truck.

just in case i'm out hiking and somehow i lose my main truck keys, so then i'm not 100% stranded in the middle of nowhere.

thanks for any ways to do what I'm after. (hide a backup set of keys IN the truck cab)

(not interested in a magnetic key holder under the truck, for what it is worth)

billiebob

Since you have the keypad, I would think you would be okay to just lock the set inside while you are gone and enter/exit with the keypad.
yeah. never even considered this but if one breaks a window can one push the button, start it and drive away.... without even looking for the key?

I don't think the truck would be confused and I doubt the thief would be either.
There must be a simple solution to shield the key.
A lead lined box?
Amazon ??

yeah. never even considered this but if one breaks a window can one push the button, start it and drive away.... without even looking for the key?

I’m not entirely sure...someone who’s more familiar with the newer trucks should respond. I would hope not, but it may be possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karmann Vandiego

When I worked for new car dealerships, they would put all of the keys in the lock boxes on the vehicle windows. Vehicles with keyless start would have their keys put in a metal case before being put in the lock box to block the radio signal from the key fob.

Maybe just a small metal case would be enough to block the signal. I believe they were made from aluminum.

Scoutman

Explorer
My suggestion would be remove the battery like Mike just mentioned. The other thing you could try is to slip the key into an RFID blocking wallet and see if that prevents the signal from getting to the truck.

Edit, I would still hide a plain (non-chipped) key under the vehicle somewhere. A dead battery or some goof of the electrical system could still leave you stranded.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke