Identify Your Enemies - How are Enviro/Eco Groups Funded?

kmlacroix

Explorer
Regardless of what other think or purport to know, I believe the only way to save our "wilderness" areas is through conservation and responsible use and management. This, I believe needs to be done from the individual level through the Government level. Individually Tread Lightly or Leave No(or little) Trace. Those of us the actually care need to take it upon ourselves to be the best stewards of the place we like to go.

To keep access open, we the users, need to show that we respect the land. If we do not, then those that want to fence off the land will win, and we will lose. As will the people that depend on we, the users, for the livelihood. This is not about Liberals vs Conservatives, Right vs left, Reps vs Dems. This is about our right to use the land and our responsibility to protect it for nature and future users.

Conservation groups and exploitation groups are often funded by annonymous donors, Neither is clean.

Just because it is there, does not mean we need to lock it up, or destroy it.

brushogger

Explorer
There is always an almost childlike hope that these diatribes will take a happy turn.....

It's a good thread at the root of it because it showcases the witless divisions between groups.

The most entertaining aspect of these "discussions" is never knowing where I fall within them. To a vast number of people, I'm a gas-burning redneck out to defile Mother Nature. To others, I'm a greenie hippy with a satchel full of granola bars and an Edward Abby book in hand.

Ridiculous.

Some folks feel they have to immediately pigeon hole everyone into some category for there own mental comfort. People just need to realize it's ok for people do have differing opinions. They have been formed by each individual's life experience. Civil discussion with those of differing opinions can be a great learning experience. I think the key is, "Am I on this earth to learn?" or "Am I on this earth to be right?" Years ago, I was very conservative politically. One of my rugby team mates was actually a card carrying communist. We spent many hours discussing books, beliefs, religion, and politics. I seldom agreed with him, but still fondly remember those talks. 35 years later, he's now a lot more conservative and I'm much more liberal. Neither of us are in a category unless you consider long haired, nonpolitical, recycling, off roading, former fundamentalist Christian with a concealed carry permit a category. If you have the same beliefs in your late fifties you had in your twenties, you haven't grown as a person. I'm glad there are still people like you with that optimism and child like hope. Seek out those with differing opinions, as a learning experience. If one just wants to argue, he will learn nothing.

PS. I really enjoy your articles.

mezmochill

Is outside
Some folks feel they have to immediately pigeon hole everyone into some category for there own mental comfort. People just need to realize it's ok for people do have differing opinions. They have been formed by each individual's life experience. Civil discussion with those of differing opinions can be a great learning experience. I think the key is, "Am I on this earth to learn?" or "Am I on this earth to be right?" Years ago, I was very conservative politically. One of my rugby team mates was actually a card carrying communist. We spent many hours discussing books, beliefs, religion, and politics. I seldom agreed with him, but still fondly remember those talks. 35 years later, he's now a lot more conservative and I'm much more liberal. Neither of us are in a category unless you consider long haired, nonpolitical, recycling, off roading, former fundamentalist Christian with a concealed carry permit a category. If you have the same beliefs in your late fifties you had in your twenties, you haven't grown as a person. I'm glad there are still people like you with that optimism and child like hope. Seek out those with differing opinions, as a learning experience. If one just wants to argue, he will learn nothing.

PS. I really enjoy your articles.

Good stuff.

Kevin108

Explorer
The biggest issue with organizations on any side of the argument is the "mine, not yours" mentality.

There's hikers that want to stop horse riders, horse riders that want to stop mountain bikers, mountain bikers who want to stop motorcycle riders, motorcycle riders who want to stop ATV riders, ATV riders who want to stop Jeeps, and Jeeps that want to stop full-size rigs.

If we had any sense at all, we'd be working together to protect, maintain, and expand the areas to which we have access. Lost in all this infighting is that we all love the outdoors and want to be able to enjoy it as we see fit.

mezmochill

Is outside
They divide is ultimately between those that give a **** about how their actions effect others and those that could give a flying ****.

The trend seems to be toward the later???

rruff

Explorer
To a vast number of people, I'm a gas-burning redneck out to defile Mother Nature. To others, I'm a greenie hippy with a satchel full of granola bars and an Edward Abby book in hand.

Ridiculous.

Edward Abbey was a gas burning redneck greenie hippy. Most people who stop to think once in awhile would fall into this camp. But oddly the powers that be wish to divide everyone on convenient and simple political lines.

The Raven

Funny, I am an overlanding, adventure riding, beer drinking, gun shooting guy who drives a rig that gets 15mpg on a good day. I'm also a conservationist, environment and regulation loving hippy who in his teenage days used to be an earth firster and all associated activities. These days though; I fund those things I support. Some days it's sierra club, other days its the ACLU and I've even sent some money to the CMP and the Liberal gun club. Not everyone is evil...it what they do that defines that

BobsCreek

Adventurer
Gosh darn it... Im a 40 something eco-loving environmentalist who must be one of the "enemies" who funds "enviro/eco groups". I also drive a 4wd v6 that on a good day gets about 24mpg....

The Raven

Gosh darn it... Im a 40 something eco-loving environmentalist who must be one of the "enemies" who funds "enviro/eco groups". I also drive a 4wd v6 that on a good day gets about 24mpg....

You are also from that anti-American state of Commifornia. You are the devil, my friend. trade that 4x4 in for a prius, add some glitter to your beard and go away. Joking of course lol.

BobsCreek

Adventurer
You are also from that anti-American state of Commifornia. You are the devil, my friend. trade that 4x4 in for a prius, add some glitter to your beard and go away. Joking of course lol.

Ahh, by way of Upstate NY (red area), NV (confused as all hell area) and Montana (red) and now I'm in far Northeastern CA which is very red.

But damnit, if I could afford a 2nd vehicle I would consider a Prius, I could love the mpg lol... You also see them cruising around in fairly nasty conditions in MT

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Funny, I am an overlanding, adventure riding, beer drinking, gun shooting guy who drives a rig that gets 15mpg on a good day. I'm also a conservationist, environment and regulation loving hippy who in his teenage days used to be an earth firster and all associated activities. These days though; I fund those things I support. Some days it's sierra club, other days its the ACLU and I've even sent some money to the CMP and the Liberal gun club. Not everyone is evil...it what they do that defines that

I read your blog about the election.... You could add conspiracy theorist and worry wart to your self description list. You were right in with the Hollywood elite wanting to jump ship to Canada after the election. Don't take this as a bash on you, the world needs all types.

The Raven

I read your blog about the election.... You could add conspiracy theorist and worry wart to your self description list. You were right in with the Hollywood elite wanting to jump ship to Canada after the election. Don't take this as a bash on you, the world needs all types.

Canada is still "HIGH" on the list. I'm not getting into politics here, but I have strong feelings about the matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles