Ideas please, motorcycle on a 4X6 RTT equipped trailer.

BlackdogGS

Observer
I’m designing a light weight trailer with a low mounted RTT. I’d like to mount a motorcycle across the tongue close to the trailer. My motorcycle weighs 350 pounds. Have you seen this done before?

BlackdogGS

Observer
Placing the axle would be critical, what are you towing with ?
How long is the bike ? It looks heavier than 350#.
This comes to mind. But smaller.

bike is 320 then with fuel and all my stuff I’m around 350. I want a light weigh, single axle. I have a F150 and a Tacom.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
350 doesn’t sound unreasonable. High but not unreasonable.
My AT Chaser is roughly 4x6, close enough anyway. The tongue has 20 gal water + tank…. Maybe 175 lbs.
And 10 gallons gas in 2 Jerry cans plus can holders, maybe another 100 lbs.
And a group 31 battery plus a tool kit in a steel box, maybe another 125 or so…

Basically it adds up fast. However, the Jeep pulls it happily. Loading gear in the trailer for proper balance is important, so is adjusting the tongue length to get the ideal weight and balance.

7975DDC6-635F-4BF4-A5CD-ED9803D400B9.jpeg

WillySwan

Here is what I built for hauling bicycles on the tongue of my M416 which is basically 4x6.

IMG_6261.jpg IMG_4344.jpg

I rebuilt my trailer A-frame with 2x3x0.25 rectangular tube and a 2.5 inch hitch receiver for a tongue extension. The tongue extension is 2-1/2 x 0.25 tube. On to the top of the tongue extension I welded a 2-inch receiver which I mount my bake rack onto. On all of the receiver junctions, I use heavy duty anti-rattle hitch clamps.

I have had this setup for 5-years and have taken it over hundreds of miles of gravel secondary roads at a high rates of speed with no issue. Granted, the bikes weigh much less than your motorcycle, but I think something similar may work for a 350 lb motorcycle

Last edited:

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I’m designing a light weight trailer with a low mounted RTT. I’d like to mount a motorcycle across the tongue close to the trailer. My motorcycle weighs 350 pounds. Have you seen this done before?

I've been working on something similar. I hope to eventually add a frame for a RTT on my chuck wagon.

I still need to road test this setup, and just a temporary setup to see how it would fit. Tongue weight is the issue I think.

BlackdogGS

Observer
I've been working on something similar. I hope to eventually add a frame for a RTT on my chuck wagon.

I still need to road test this setup, and just a temporary setup to see how it would fit. Tongue weight is the issue I think.

thanks, that’s what I’m after. Let me know how it handle.

Trailboss

Senior Curmudgeon
I use a VersaHaul carrier to carry my 300 lb Yamaha XT250 and a small trailer. The carrier comes in 500lb and 600lb capacity and extends the receiver tube. Mine's a 500lb model, and I just have to keep the trailer tongue weight under 200lbs. Worked great for 6-7000 miles on dirt roads and interstates.

Versa Haul hitch.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior