Ideas for NM to OK roadtrip

gallen

Howdy All,

I’m taking the family (wife, myself, three kids 1, 3, and 7) from New Mexico to SE Oklahoma this week and was hoping to hear some good places to stay along the way. Hoping ideally to minimize I-40 time and maximize the backroads and see more of the good that’s out there, and a bit less of the same ol, same ol. Would anyone like to pass on some good recommendations for camping spots, swimming areas, favorite restaurants, and the like?

We’ll be traveling in a 4wd capable setup with a small teardrop, won’t need electricity or anything special except your tips and tricks on where to stop along our way.

Thanks in advance

mnwanders

Not sure where you are coming from in New Mexico, but I imagine you have to cross Texas. Go see Palo Duro Canyon State Park in Texas. Spent a night there last year and my entire family wished we could have spent more time there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gallen

I sure appreciate that. We tried for it but the Texas Archeological Society had the whole place filled so we went to Caprock state park to the south. Stopped for a swim at the pool in Childress, TX. Will have to get to Palo Duro next time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles