Ideas for my Silverado

hikingff77

Adventurer
I love seeing all the rigs on these pages, both big and small. You people have imagination and skills I can only long for. Add in the time it takes and the money, and I'm really quite envious.

Here's what I'm looking for, it'll be kind of a tick list from you guys and your ideas. Just looking to see if I'm on the right path, I know it's my truck, but I don't want to miss out on some ideas I should just have on the rig.

Let me start out, I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado Z71 crew cab. I love it. Best truck I've owned to date. Sadly I haven't gotten to wheel it but I know she'd do great. I'm a family camper, it's at least four of us, sometimes five and also sometimes two dogs. I also use the truck for home improvement and everyday life. What I'm looking for is a my truck being slightly more capable off-road wise, weather prepared wise and user wise.

I plan on taking this truck on a two week trip to the Lake Superior area, UP, and hopefully get to do the trails there that have been written about here.

I'm planning on getting a 2" leveling kit or something similar, just to get the truck a little better stance, any thoughts on which brand is best, and who to avoid?

I need new tires, I have 265 R65 18's on there now, I'm looking for a good all-terrain tire with more of an aggressive look, but nothing crazy.

I would love a swing out rear bumper, but I know that's just not in the cards right now budget wise, maybe someday. If only for ease of changing the tire and looks.

I would love a front bumper but that'll never happen, I will be installing a lightbar just for some extra lumens up front. Also any opinions on which one is best, not looking for extra protection, just light mounts.

I want to get a high lift, is it worth it? I'm sure the answer is yes.

I have a cap on the back and want to mount LED's under the rail, I've seen some great installs here.

I know CB's have their limitations but I love them, I miss the one I had and will be putting another in this truck some day soon.

I plan on building some cabinet type things on the sides of the bed so that I can store long items safely on trips, i.e. fishing rods and kayak paddles. But I want it to be easily removable if nesc.to haul stuff. Does anyone have a set up similar?

Thanks, I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Rot Box

Explorer
High lift jacks are a great tool to have if they are used properly. That said if you aren't familiar with using them they can be more of a death trap than anything :Wow1: Most 4x4's are sold with little or no lift points unless you want to seriously damage body panels and plastic bumpers lol. Hi-Lift actually makes a product that latches onto your rim and allow you to lift from that point without damaging anything. I would definitely look into getting those for your rig http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/lift-mate.html

As for CB's I think they're great. They're are not HAM and I wouldn't count on one to save my life but for traveling in groups they are VERY handy and highly recommended by most group leaders. I also use mine on the freeway you wouldn't believe what kind of traffic and poor road conditions you can avoid and/or prepare yourself for if you listen in on 19 ;) Given the cost I would definitely add one to your rig and find someone locally that can help you professionally tune it in.

As for the rest the best advice I can give is strictly follow your owners manual on vehicle maintenance and upkeep and keep a very detailed log of all the maintenance performed. Pack plenty of first aid and plenty of extra food and water (for the dogs too!). Keep basic tools handy and invest in a good recovery kit and high quality strap. Build your rig to fit your needs and not your wants and you'll win in the long run. Its all a matter of getting out there and seeing what works for you :bike_rider:

Andrew

nick325i

Adventurer
I have an 09' Z71 that I'm taking on a similar path. I've done a 2" leveling kit, bilstein adjustable struts, larger tires, front and rear bumpers and 4.56 gears.

I would strongly recommend the Bilstein 5100 lift struts and maybe a 285 series tire (i did 305's and it hurt me a lot on power until i regeared). I also did a rough country 2" leveling kit. It worked well for how cheap it is ($65). The bilsteins also give you 2" and a lot better ride but they are a little more expensive.

Send me a message if you have any other questions.

nick325i

Adventurer
I don't have any recent photos but i will take some soon.

The struts have an adjustable snap ring that moves up where the springs sets on the strut. These struts are popular on trucks with front struts. I run mine on the first setting above stock with my rough country spacer. This gives me approx 2.5 inches of lift and helps offset the sag from my front bumper.

I think bilstein's site explains more about how the struts work.

I'm also interested to see other people's ideas for your truck. I'm just now starting on the expedition route and I'm also looking into camper shells, cbs, winches and etc.

Aaron bobby

Exploder
Do the leveling kit . You should be able to fit some 285s under there and with the back spacing of the stock rim you shouldn't have to do much trimming of fender wells at all. On my 04 I have BFG 285 all terrains and love them on stock wheels no rubbing. On my moot metal rims with 4.5 backspaging they rub at full turn with 285 nitro terra grapplers. Hope that helps!

Mooneywa

All - I too have a 2008 Z71 - Tahoe though. I have heard good reviews on the Bilsteins as well but can someone exactly say why? What makes the ride better - firmer? Better control? Do they last longer?

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Suspension is a real hard one to make recommendations for because everybody's use and budget are much different. If you want a good performing base level setup then the Bilstein adjustable height front shocks are the way to go. If you plan on using the truck for alot of off road stuff and want more durability and control then I would recommend an Icon 2.5" extended travel front system with their upper arms. This is about 10 times more expensive, but is a very slick way to go and they can be rebuilt in the future instead of having to replace them.

Regarding tires, I would try and go to either a 17" or 16" wheel setup if possible. You may not have the budget for this, or you may just be really attached to your current wheels. Either are fine. I recommend this because of the increased availability of tires in those rim sizes and the decreased cost of said tires. You will end up with more sidewall for any given tire size which should improve ride as well. You should be able to run either a 285/75R16 or a 285/70R17 with about a 2" front lift. If you decide that you want to run the 16" wheels you must grind the front calipers a little bit to get them to clear. Did it on a friends truck and maybe took an hour. No big deal. There are alot of wheel choices in those sizes, but finding an OEM wheel will guarantee that the offset will provide minimal rubbing of tires on the fenders.

Saiyan66

Adventurer
NOTE: I am saying this not to be a ************ but to inform those who may not be aware of the difference between a shock and a strut.

Shocks are a damping device that control vertical wheel motion and may or may not be paired with a spring to actually support the weight of the vehicle. The GM 1500 truck in question here is an example of this.

Struts are also a damping device, however they control vertical wheel motion and ALSO the camber of the wheel as it arcs through its travel. Many sports cars use what is referred to as a MacPherson strut front suspension and that is an example of a strut system that controls camber alignment. They also may or may not be combined with a spring to support the weight of the vehicle.

Clutch

<---Pass
You really don't need a Hi-Lift, they are wicked dangerous for changing flats, and everything else. I have been off-roading since I was a kid...think I was conceived in a F250. Never really found a need for a Hi-Lift. A bottle jack, hand come-a-long, and a shovel is all you really need. If a bottle jack is too slow, get a aluminum floor jack, pull the wheels and toss on a skid.

Harbor Freight sells this aluminum version for $70 IIRC

downsized_1010091309.jpg

Suspension, it is all how much you want to spend, it can built in stages as funds are available and needs arise, stock suspension can take you farther than you think.

Total Chaos has UCA's for your year, Fox, Icon, Camburg, and a few others make coil overs...well worth the money in the long run.

77500_mr02.jpg

1109or-06+chevy-silverado-1500-plan-b+camper.jpg

For me, I don't like permanent storage cabinets in my truck, I like everything removable...makes the truck more versatile. Rubbermaid Action Packers work great.
Since you have a topper, there are kits that have brackets which hold fishing rods the under side of the roof.

AD56R3421.jpg

Tires, look at Coppers, I used to be a long time BFG guy, then I tried some Coopers because BFG doesn't make my size anymore....very impressed with their performance.

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck.aspx

I wouldn't worry too much about mods, and just go out and enjoy the outdoors...you'll be surprised what you don't need.

Last edited:

Betarocker

Adventurer
First mod would be stronger tie rods. For an aggressive all-terrain tire, Mickey Thompson ATZ is a good tire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94