Icon stage one or stage two?

prerunner221

Adventurer
I have the OME heavy kit on the FJ currently. While it worked well and handled all the weight on and in the rig well, there are some things I didn't like. I want my new suspension to actually level the vehicle. I want it to have a better ride, meaning the ride with the OME heavies wasn't bad, but I want it to be even better. Lastly, it has to handle the weight the current suspension does. For the most part the vehicle is just an weekend warrior, with 2-3 big trips a year. In the last few years I've been from Florida to CO to go wheeling and camping, up to the Overland Expos and all over Florida.

I've had coilovers on cars in the past and feel like it's the next step with this vehicle, but I'm not sure it is in the budget. I want to keep the kit in the $2,000 range.

I've been through the suspension buyers guides, and I've been on the FJ forums since 2011 so I know what a lot of folks are riding on, but I'm looking for suggestions for my particular needs. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Update: Looking around and speaking with people locally I think I have it narrowed down to Icon. First, their stage 1 and stage 2 will both give me the 3 inch lift I want, but I don't know anyone locally that has as much weight added to the vehicle as I do so they can't tell me if it will handle it. Second, is the stage 2 really worth the extra money? Slightly longer wheel travel would be nice, but its a big chunk of change and I'm not sure it would do me a lot of good for my type of vehicle use. If you run one of these kits, what are your thoughts?

22089901_10155803139419494_875976962422882099_n.jpg

22195766_10155803180969494_145132980619347657_n.jpg

27749809_10156159467409494_6109426493503782553_n.jpg

23473029_10155915739474494_5306634760083607730_n.jpg

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
Lots of people running Icons. Lots of venders will custom valve them for your use. They were way too stiff for me out of the box since my truck is relatively light. You could save a few bucks on the stage two by getting SPC control arms. They will change the feel of the suspension and help your alignment. Those reasons justify it in my mind more than the added travel.

(none)

Adventurer
I had a bastardized stage 2 kit on my 4R. I really liked it. As tacollie notes, i ran the SPC upper control arms. Provide more travel and allow the front to get into alignment while providing more travel.

What part of Florida are you in? I have set of Icon 3" overland rear springs that will work on your FJ which i bought from someone else and never installed before selling my 4R. I'm in Jacksonville frequently.

4runnerteq

Explorer
We have a customer with Icon on a Taco that we installed. I don't recall what stage. Its nice stuff, but man, for a weekend warrior 2 or 3 trips a year, is it worth the expense? That's something only you can decide. If I remember right he spent maybe $3k on the lift itself. One of the guys here at the shop has this Toytec setup http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/3-Lift-W-Bilstein-5100-Front-Coilovers_p_1198.html on his 4th gen Runner he really likes. He is not carrying any weight though.

mtran

I'm running a pieced together Icon set up on my 4th gen 4runner, Front RR coilovers with tubular arms, Rear 2.0 RR, and overland springs. For me even though it is a daily driver with weekend trips and a few big trips a year the expense is worth it because I like the firmer ride on road in addition to the off road benefits. It makes the truck feel more planted and controlled. The rear is pretty stiff with the overland springs when not loaded down for a big trip but it doesn't bother me much. I would rather have it ride slightly stiff when unloaded than deal with a squishy soft ride when loaded. As far as the weight it would just be a matter of running the correct springs. Since you're running a bumper and winch in the front you can order them with 700lb springs to compensate. For the rear there's lots of spring options between many brands to handle the weight and attain the lift you want. I like the overland springs but the rear sits pretty high when not loaded. I don't have any experience with the SPC arms but I would highly recommend running aftermarket UCA's. I have the Icon tubular arms currently and ran Camburg uniball arms on my Tundra before I sold that truck. The biggest benefit is definitely being able to properly align your truck. Not only does it improve road manners after lifting but being able to get an alignment that matches the type of offroading you do is great. The extra caster makes a tremendous difference in how the truck feels even just cruising down forest roads.

With my current set up I like the ride and handling better than stock in all conditions including smooth highway driving which makes the price a little easier to justify. But on the other side of a spectrum there's lots of people that might think its way too stiff on road, but again I actually like that feeling because it reminds me of car on quality but stiff coilovers rather than riding like a typical boaty truck. That might not be so helpful to you but it really is a matter of personal preference.

Last edited:

prerunner221

Adventurer
We have a customer with Icon on a Taco that we installed. I don't recall what stage. Its nice stuff, but man, for a weekend warrior 2 or 3 trips a year, is it worth the expense? That's something only you can decide. If I remember right he spent maybe $3k on the lift itself. One of the guys here at the shop has this Toytec setup http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/3-Lift-W-Bilstein-5100-Front-Coilovers_p_1198.html on his 4th gen Runner he really likes. He is not carrying any weight though.

I don't mind spending the money if it's nice stuff that will work when I need it. I've also been looking at the Toytec Boss kit. When I do use the vehicle I like to be able to drive it hard and not worry about it breaking. Living in Central Florida I usually have to drive a ways to get anywhere worth going, so breaking on the trail would really stink. Thanks for the input, I'll have to get with Toytec to see what they think about their kit handling the weight of the rig.

prerunner221

Adventurer
I'm running a pieced together Icon set up on my 4th gen 4runner, Front RR coilovers with tubular arms, Rear 2.0 RR, and overland springs. For me even though it is a daily driver with weekend trips and a few big trips a year the expense is worth it because I like the firmer ride on road in addition to the off road benefits. It makes the truck feel more planted and controlled. The rear is pretty stiff with the overland springs when not loaded down for a big trip but it doesn't bother me much. I would rather have it ride slightly stiff when unloaded than deal with a squishy soft ride when loaded. As far as the weight it would just be a matter of running the correct springs. Since you're running a bumper and winch in the front you can order them with 700lb springs to compensate. For the rear there's lots of spring options between many brands to handle the weight and attain the lift you want. I like the overland springs but the rear sits pretty high when not loaded. I don't have any experience with the SPC arms but I would highly recommend running aftermarket UCA's. I have the Icon tubular arms currently and ran Camburg uniball arms on my Tundra before I sold that truck. The biggest benefit is definitely being able to properly align your truck. Not only does it improve road manners after lifting but being able to get an alignment that matches the type of offroading you do is great. The extra caster makes a tremendous difference in how the truck feels even just cruising down forest roads.

With my current set up I like the ride and handling better than stock in all conditions including smooth highway driving which makes the price a little easier to justify. But on the other side of a spectrum there's lots of people that might think its way too stiff on road, but again I actually like that feeling because it reminds me of car on quality but stiff coilovers rather than riding like a typical boaty truck. That might not be so helpful to you but it really is a matter of personal preference.

I actually prefer a stiffer suspension like a car might have to the floaty feel most trucks have. I've had coilovers (Tein) on a couple cars and used to love how they drove, so I'm not opposed to having that feel in the FJ. Thanks for the recommendations, it sounds like you and I are on the same page with what we want.

“I should have gone with the 2.0 vs the 2.5 shock body” said nobody ever. Running the icon 2.5 piggy’s in the rear, 2.5 cos front with UCA on 1st gen Tundra. Would never downgrade. Resis I’m not convinced on (but when I upgrade I will probably get for the adjustability). Not saying to LT (I haven’t) but a nice big shock just makes everything better.

Stage 2 all the way.

I would definitely recommend shock boots front and rear, after 6 years my shafts are starting to pit and rust (and this is a SoCal truck).

Teamoatmealpie

Observer
If I understand correctly the Fj and 4R use many of the same suspension components.

I have a 2016 4Runner -had the ToyTech Boss 2.0 with SPC upper control arms, since about Feb 2016, and am very happy with it. I started with regular springs then moved to HD in rear after adding weight.

The suspension is valved to be firm but plush - no nose dive and eats speed bumps and washboard.

I added winch, roof rack, 3 person roof top tent, full size spare and drawer system, it still drove great with all the gear, but needed a little lift in the rear, so i scored some TT HD springs for the rear, and it drives excellent on and off-road. Last summer we did 30 days thru Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado. Many many miles off-road and its great.
I almost bought the Icon Stage 2, but have no regrets with the Toytech, I would buy it again.

tacollie

Glamper
I actually sold my Icon extended travel CO's and bought the Toytec Boss 2.0. I haven't looked back. The Icons were to stuff and valved horribly right out of the box. They ride like crap in all conditions. That's why I recommend buying them from a shop that can custom valve. If I was to go with 2.5 again I would go Fox. I definitely prefer progressive valving over digressive.

prerunner221

Adventurer
Thanks for the tips about Toytec. I'll look into it, and maybe give them a ring to see what they suggest for the weight I'm carrying. Thanks guys.

mtran

I actually prefer a stiffer suspension like a car might have to the floaty feel most trucks have. I've had coilovers (Tein) on a couple cars and used to love how they drove, so I'm not opposed to having that feel in the FJ. Thanks for the recommendations, it sounds like you and I are on the same page with what we want.

Glad I could help! Good luck in your search for new suspension, from the sounds of it I think you will like the Icons.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
If you’re rig is really heavy, you’ll probably be better off with 2.5s all the way around. Partly that will be due to the type of terrain you’re driving. The extra weight will translate into heat. The bigger shock body will be able to better handle that heat for a longer period of time, resulting in less shock fade (or delayed shock fade).

I’m running Icon on my 5th Gen and ran Icon on my Tacoma. I have been incredible happy with the performance of their shocks. Just amazing. Customer service has also been top notch.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier