Iceco VL45 refrigerator error

dmicucci

I have an Iceco VL45 refrigerator in my 4runner. Its about a year old, and I've just started getting an e1 error (low voltage cutoff). I have a 96ah agm Northstar battery (also a year old ish) that tests at 100% health with a digital battery tester. I ran a direct line from the stock battery location to a marine 12v socket on the right rear quarter panel directly under the factory 120v outlet, where the fridge is plugged in. There is a 15 amp in line fuse at the battery. 14awg wire.

I noticed this spring when I reinstalled the fridge (taken out for the winter) that after only a few hours with the engine off I get the e1 code. Battery protection is set to low (9.6v cutoff).

I have unplugged the cord from the fridge and checked voltage at the plug while the fridge has an error set and I get anywhere from 12v and up. I'm assuming that when the compressor goes to start the voltage drops and triggers the cutoff. Vehicle starts strong every time, so I know the battery is not actually low.

Do I have a problem or is my choice in wire size just abysmally small? That is how I'm leaning. I haven't been able to get an in-line voltage meter to see the numbers in real time.

Thoughts or suggestions?

86scotty

Cynic
Try swapping to 10 gauge wire. I’ve done it with several finicky 12v fridges/rigs and it solved my problem almost without fail.

be ready for the possibility that your control board is failing though. It happens. No telling if you can get any parts for an Iceco or any of these modern Amazon brands. I have one too these days and am hoping for the best.

dmicucci

Thanks for the input!

I'm definitely going to try to swap to larger wire. I'll probably try that tonight if I have a spool of 10awg at the shop.

I forgot to add above that the problem only happens when the truck is off. Theres never a problem with the fridge starting up with the vehicle running. I'd assume if it was the control board it would happen with the vehicle running too.

86scotty

Cynic
Not necessarily. Logically yes but boards can be finicky about voltage. Sounds like you're on the right track though. 14g is too small for any fridge IMO.

dmicucci

Just thought I'd post an update.

I didn't have a roll of 10awg wire at the shop so I ordered an ARB fridge wiring kit (ARB 10900027 ARB Fridge Freezer Wiring Kit And Threaded Socket Mount ) and a replacement cord for an ARB fridge/freezer (ARB 10910076 12/24C DC Cord 12/24C DC Cord ).

This cord will mate with the threaded plug in the wiring kit, creating a proper and secure connection. I took a chance as there was no definitive information out there that I could find, but the ARB replacement cord was a direct replacement for the Iceco unit.

So far I haven't had a chance to run the new 10awg wiring harness, but I've already seen an improvement over the regular (poorly and loosely fitting) 12v socket.

Also, I ditched the surface mounting option for the ARB socket and installed the socket itself into the panel that I had previously installed in the 4runner (Kohree 12V Marine USB Outlet... ). This was also a direct replacement.

I will update again when I get the wiring itself installed this week, but the 4runner was parked in direct sunlight all day yesterday with an outside temp pushing 90*F, and I had ice cold beer all day...

(Yes there was food in there too...)

dmicucci

OK, I'm going to officially update this one as solved.

Almost 2 weeks ago now I was able to run the ARB wiring harness. Along with the ARB screw-in plug, this fridge has never run better or colder. I have actually been able to set the battery protection to high (shuts down the fridge with the highest battery voltage) and it hasn't kicked off once since.

Looks like it was the 14 awg wiring (and possibly the poor plug connection) that was the problem. I also believe that the negative run back to the battery instead of relying on chassis ground was helpful.

Also noteworthy is the fact that the 10 awg duplex wire in the kit is far more difficult to work with and hide than the single 14 awg wire ?...

Oh, and because I couldn't find any info about it ahead of time, yes, the ARB kit comes with just enough wire to go from the stock battery location, through the firewall, down the driver's side of the vehicle under the kick panels, across the back seat and to the location of the factory ac outlet with about a foot to spare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles