Iceco JP40 or VL45?

potfish

Hi. I am struggling to choose between the JP and VL series. Other than esthetics, form factor, dimensions which are personal choices, are there differences that are less obvious that need to be considered? I prefer the form factor of the VL but prefer the size of the JP. So I'm looking for other factors to swing my decision.

As best I could gather (it's not easy to find the internal dimensions for Iceco in general) the dimensions are:
JP40 23 w x 13.8 d x 17.5 h external, 18.1 w x 10.6 d x 13.9 h internal (not on Iceco site but they do have for the JP50, so I've scaled down the height by the 3.4" difference in their external heights)
VL45 27.4 w x 15.8 d x 19.2 h external, 22 w x 10.7 d x 14.8 h internal (from Iceco website)
So with slightly thicker walls, is the VL better insulated?

In both cases I would most likely put it on a slide, so the door opening direction isn't really important.

What else?

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
Hi. I am struggling to choose between the JP and VL series.

I can't personally compare the two, but I do own the JP40. I really like it. Used it on several trips so far and it has worked great. Again, not sure about the other, but the iceco uses the Danfross compressor, which is highly regarded.

Here is a review video that I made of the JP40. In it I show current/ voltage consumption from room temp down to 37 degrees. Also talk about a few other things. If you have any questions, let me know here or the channel and Ill get them answered.

roving1

Just pulled my Vl45 out of the box last night so early days. But the build quality is amazing and it feels like a tank in the best way possible. Also a lot quieter than I thought it would be. Just a slightly more whirry fan sound but can't really hear the compressor. Also no vibrations to speak of. I thought there would be some, at least on initial compressor on or of. But nothing.

I do wish it had a remote or Bluetooth because where I am going to mount it is really difficult to see the controls.

The led light in the fridge is seriously worth half the cost of the unit lol.

A long way to go but initial impression is you would be crazy to buy an ARB or an Engel for a grand. We'll see if this has the longevity going forward.

Last edited:

potfish

Yeah I agree, and Axles I did watch your video already. Both the models I'm talking about are Iceco. Their website doesn't really help with the differences. I am guessing it's just two different form factors to widen the appeal.

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
Yeah I agree, and Axles I did watch your video already. Both the models I'm talking about are Iceco. Their website doesn't really help with the differences. I am guessing it's just two different form factors to widen the appeal.
I should stop posting before my second cup of coffee as I totally missed the fact that you were looking at ICECO for both!

So now that I realize my error...

I went with the JP40 because of form factor. I had already had a home built pull out for my regular cooler and looking at the measurements of the JP 40, it was an even swap. Plus the price was better as I got a discount from Revere Overland. Just enter "REVERE" during checkout. Anyway, I really like it and carry it with me all the time. It's not real loud and seems to hold temperature after it cools down very well.

I would suspect that aside from the 15 pound weight difference, it really comes down to personal preference. Honestly, I doubt you would go wrong with one over the other.

potfish

It was only this morning that I realized quite how much heavier the VL45 is. That pushes me to the JP40. Thanks for the code. There are a few 12% codes around. Shame I missed the bigger discounts that have been available recently.

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
It was only this morning that I realized quite how much heavier the VL45 is. That pushes me to the JP40. Thanks for the code. There are a few 12% codes around. Shame I missed the bigger discounts that have been available recently.
Yeah you bet!

Like I said, mine is in my Wrangler. 15 pounds does not sound like much, but those add up. An extra pound here and a few there, next thing you know you are over GVRW.

roving1

Yeah my cooler will stay put where it is going. If I had to lug it around regularly I would definitely want it lighter.

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
Did you look at the JP42? I’ve also been looking into all of these recently...
I did when I was comparing. And again for me, like other purchases, it came down to price. The 12% code did not work on the 42. Pitty too as it is the same desert color as my Jeep and that would have been cool! But I also seem to remember that dimensions were a little bigger on the 42 so that may have caused me pause as well. I did not want to have to remake my slider.

highwest

Just an FYI for anyone looking at IceCo right now, codes BFCM and HOBOTECH seem to be working for everything I’ve tried this week... haven’t pulled the trigger yet though, I can’t decide on size or form factor.

tacollie

Glamper
Just an FYI for anyone looking at IceCo right now, codes BFCM and HOBOTECH seem to be working for everything I’ve tried this week... haven’t pulled the trigger yet though, I can’t decide on size or form factor.
I bought an VL45 4-6 weeks ago using one of your codes. Thanks! We are happy with it. We were worried about the nose in our FWC while sleeping but it hasn't been an issue yet!

MiamiC70

I went with the VL45PRO S as the multi-open top was what I needed.

Attachments

• E7B36101-2A44-4631-8390-F0A0C48E2FD2.jpeg
    E7B36101-2A44-4631-8390-F0A0C48E2FD2.jpeg
    665.4 KB · Views: 39

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Fridges are one area where bigger is better, IE I just happened to end up shopping one day and I bought a load of frozen foods trouble is I only had the 18L in the Van, So your 45 is a nice happy medium, Packed properly you will be suprized just how much you can get in there. (y)

Don't get me wrong my 18L is incredible when it comes to power draw and my 47L is great and I can use it as a fridge and a freezer at the same time because of where the cooling element is placed, But for a long trip the 78L allows me to carry a lot of frozen food while using the top are as a fridge, You can't do that with a fridge where it's element goes from top to bottom,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles