ICECO JP40 external temp test with thermal imagery

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
As the owner of a Thermal Imagery Device, I thought this would be a cool little test to see if the JP40 had any funky temperature issues outside of the fridge.

Video is about 20 minutes long. In true scientific method, I predicted my hypothesis and was absolutely confused by the end of the test!

Come give it a watch, and please post any questions or comments on the 'tube along with....well, you know the rest.

I say trapping the cold and a longer run time after placing the cover on. Start test with fridge uncovered not running with outside of fridge reaching ambient. Cover fridge and start fridge. Allow longer run time before checking case temp ie Hours. There is some cold escaping the fridge case. Using the insulated cover traps cold air transferring to ambient, therefore cooling the case.

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
I say trapping the cold and a longer run time after placing the cover on. Start test with fridge uncovered not running with outside of fridge reaching ambient. Cover fridge and start fridge. Allow longer run time before checking case temp ie Hours. There is some cold escaping the fridge case. Using the insulated cover traps cold air transferring to ambient, therefore cooling the case.
Yeah. I may revisit this test again on the future and modify the test in a few ways. Fun anyway. I always like tearing stuff like this. Results are what they are. So it’s a good learning process.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
The Contents you put in there will have a bigger impact on how well it holds the Cold than the cover does,

I tested one of my fridges and it took over 32 hours for it to come back up to temp,

I had been running it at -18*c / 0*f and then I took out the food and replaced it with cans of drink that had been stored at 2*c and it took 32 hours+ for it to warm up enough for the fridge to power up at 2*c/3*c,

From doing the above I worked out that when set to -18*c If I had left the frozen food in there it would of taken more than 48 hours even to warm up to 0*c / 32*f.

rruff

Explorer
Heat travels from high to low. The insulation blanket slows heat gain.

Yes. And a lower fridge surface temp is exactly what you'd expect if the cover was doing anything. Heat flow is proportional to delta temperature and the conductivity of the material. If say the cover resisted heat flow as well as the fridge walls, you'd expect outer surface (and inner surface of the cover) to stabilize at half way between ambient and the fridge inner temperature.

rruff

Explorer
The Contents you put in there will have a bigger impact on how well it holds the Cold than the cover does.

That's nice for turning it off at night...

But the average watts of cooling you need to supply will be proportional to the outer-inner temperature and the conductance of the box. What's inside won't matter once you've stabilized.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
That's nice for turning it off at night...

But the average watts of cooling you need to supply will be proportional to the outer-inner temperature and the conductance of the box. What's inside won't matter once you've stabilized.
Well If you place canned drinks in the bottom it will hold the cold better because Metal conducts the Cold, and they will keep the fridge more stable, doing that makes it have longer off times, If you load the bottom with food and put the cans up in the Dairy compartment its on and off times will be much shorter, Like I posted in another thread at the moment my ARB is running for around 15 minutes and staying off for around 2 hours and it is only using about 10.25Ah per 24 hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94