Ice, Ice, Baby 2023

Trail Talk

We have become a Scepter brand ambassador if only because of the investment.

Well, the honeymoon has come to an end with Scepter. We've now experienced our second failure with their gear; first was a pour spout that lost its hose but thankfully was replaced on warranty. Now one of our Scepter MFC jerry cans, only two years old, has lost its internal vent tube - the piece separated along a molding seam and fell off the mounting nipple. This time Scepter won't repair or replace, or even provide me a vent tube to attempt a DIY.

Researching the problem led to an Ebay seller that has supplied these vent tubes, taken from surplus military Scepter containers, to over 600 buyers. Clearly something to this issue! Will try the Ebay route but won't be adding to our MFC collection.

Deleted Member 183

I got 4 Scepter cans over 20 years ago when I was doing a project for the DOD (long before they could be bought by the "public") and quickly learned they were junk. I gave 2 away and the other 2 I just use for lawnmower gas.

Trail Talk

Well I won’t go so far as to say they are junk, the outer is very tough and no paint to scratch up like metal. Their military water containers are still ideal for us. Just seems they have a QC issue with these vent tubes and have chosen to ignore it.

Ninelitetrip

We've added a few items since taking delivery of our rig in Sept of 2020. Here is a summary, roughly in order of appearance:
  1. Necessary items not provided with the F350 cab chassis; spare wheel, bottle jack, tire wrench, axle stands, back-up camera (Camera Source, compatible with factory harness, replaced once under warranty).
  2. Lagun table mount. Also required rebuilding the dinette floor panel to retain access to our FW tank.
  3. Froli Star spring system under forward mattress. Also required replacing 6" thick mattress with 4" to retain headroom.
  4. Builtright Dash Mount and various Ram fittings for truck navigation, etc. Also Builtright rear seat-back release.
  5. MaxxShade retractable vent cover.
  6. Steel 20lb propane tank to replace a composite cylinder that was leaking at the valve.
  7. AirHead dry toilet to replace cassette toilet.
  8. Aluminum horizontal storage locker at rear, designed for skis but carries tents, chairs, etc., in summer.
  9. Aluminum fuel rack at rear, designed for two Scepter 20l cans.
  10. Method 701 HD 18" wheels and KO2 tires for summer, retained stock rims with Firestone studded tires for winter.
  11. OEM front fender flares, mud flaps, fender liners.
  12. LED headlamp bulbs, GTR Ultra 2 with ballasts, great improvement!
  13. Fire extinguisher mounts for truck cab and cabin, also small fire blanket for cooktop.
  14. Folding mast step for easier access to forward bed.
  15. OEM 2WD front valence, 3" shorter for increased clearance.
  16. Quarantine cargo net, to secure items carried in back seat area.
  17. Undercounter LED lights, over sink and cooktop areas.
  18. OEM polished ss exhaust tip, to direct exhaust moisture away from exterior cabinet.
  19. Radflo tuned 2.5" shocks, front and rear.
  20. Various bits and bobs that fall under housekeeping, like a cordless vacuum, shower curtain, etc.
I'd be pleased to discuss any of these items by pm or on this thread.

People also wonder about weights and we've had the opportunity to weight the rig in both wet and dry modes while on the road. So, with 2 occupants and their clothing, gear, food, etc., here are the results:
Summer (full fuel, water) #11,726
Winter (1/3 fuel, no water) #11,089
GVWR #11,300

I anticipate a switch to LiFePo in the cabin will reduce at least 100lbs over our two 170Ah Victron AGM's and greatly increase available power. With AGM's, we are limited to two days boon-docking during winter, without shore power or solar, before we have to drive or at least idle to recharge.

@Trail Talk

Dean,

Somehow I missed this write up. Looks like a great time. Curious on a couple of items.

1. OEM front fender flares, mud flaps, fender liners.
  2. LED headlamp bulbs, GTR Ultra 2 with ballasts, great improvement!

So the flares and flaps are all Ford OEM part numbers? Not aftermarket? Would you happen to have part numbers, please.

Any part number for the LED bulbs?

Cheers.

Trail Talk

@Trail Talk

Dean,

Somehow I missed this write up. Looks like a great time. Curious on a couple of items.

1. OEM front fender flares, mud flaps, fender liners.
  2. LED headlamp bulbs, GTR Ultra 2 with ballasts, great improvement!

So the flares and flaps are all Ford OEM part numbers? Not aftermarket? Would you happen to have part numbers, please.

Any part number for the LED bulbs?

Cheers.

Your profile says you have an F550? I don't know if the fender parts I used on my F350 would work. FordParts.com would list what is available depending on your model year.

I ordered 6000K GTR Lighting Ultra 2 LED bulbs as a vehicle-specific kit from Headlight Revolution. It came with four H13 bulbs and, importantly, two modules that make them play nicely with the stock Ford headlight system. Straightforward installation, 100% improvement over halogens. While they don't list an F550 application, perhaps you could contact them as they might have done similar installs.

Edit: its the module I'd want to confirm works with your model...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94