Ice Climbing for the first time!!

Willman

My brother-in-law took me up ice climbing for the first time up Provo canyon, Utah! The locals call this climb Stairway to Heaven. Boy was that a blast and one heck of a workout! :REExeSquatsHL1: I'm still sore from climbing!! Just to get to the ice wall we had to climb this steep 500' rocky/snowy climb. Here's some pictures of the climb!

Brother-in-law showing me the ropes...Great climber that makes it look easy....Notice that he free climbs first to hookup the rope for me....nuts i say!!! :yikes: He told me....you just do not fall......

DSC02316.jpg

DSC02324.jpg

This was a great shot taken by my father-in-law from the road of me climbing !

IMG_6217.jpg

Overall it was time well spent! I had to rent the ice climbing gear totaling around $45 for the day. That day we climbed around 150' of ice. It was a great experience that i would love to take on in the future!

:REAdvRockClimber:

pwc

Explorer
Awesome!! I've been to the "Ice Day" or whatever it's called right up there at the Falls, when they have vendors and a man made 30' tower you can try out gear on. A good way to get hooked on it.

I love the different seasons in Utah.

Willman

Thanks guys!!

It was a lot of fun!!!

Thinking about buying me the gear for future climbs!!! I don't know if the wife is going to like that one or not???...oooh well...

:ylsmoke:

Willman

calamaridog said:
Very cool Nic!

So is that near Provo then?

Your right! It is about an 10 min. drive from Provo up the canyon. It was a great quick place to climb.....I can't wait to move to UT....UT has a lot to offer as in outdoors!!!

:rappel:

:REOutArchery02:

:safari-rig:

:Astrologist:

:gunt:

:roost:

:truck:

:ar15:

And
:REExeSwimmingHL:

JPFreek1

Explorer
Willman, isn't ice climbing a blast?! I went for my first time the week after you while I was in Colorado Springs. We climbed Helen Hunt Falls and while it was a pretty easy climb, I am absolutely hooked! Unfortunately for me, being in Houston, TX isn't conducive to ice climbing but now I have even more reason to hit up the mountains!

Glad you enjoyed your experience. :clapsmile

Willman

JPFreek1 said:
Willman, isn't ice climbing a blast?! I went for my first time the week after you while I was in Colorado Springs. We climbed Helen Hunt Falls and while it was a pretty easy climb, I am absolutely hooked! Unfortunately for me, being in Houston, TX isn't conducive to ice climbing but now I have even more reason to hit up the mountains!

Glad you enjoyed your experience. :clapsmile

Thanks my friend!!!!

Moving to Utah is going to have its edge on this one!!!!

JPFreek1

Explorer
Ahh, I'm envious! :bowdown:

Keep us posted through pictures, etc. I'll be living vicariously through you until I can hit the ice up again!

Take care,

Frank

tommym

Observer
I have always wanted to try...Is it more difficult than rock? I think this year I will try! Any advice?

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
tommym said:
I have always wanted to try...Is it more difficult than rock? I think this year I will try! Any advice?

Good to see the thread revived. Ice climbing is so different than rock climbing that it's tough to say if it's harder or easier. If you come from a solid rock climbing background you will pick it up much faster or at least wont be as gripped out while climbing.

I prefer ice climbing and technical mountaineering but living in Southern California lends itself more to pure rock climbing. Either though is way fun and I always look forward to climbing no matter if it's rock or ice:)

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
tommym said:
It's way different from rock climbing in my opinion. Rock climbing is about small muscle strength; your ability to hold micro ledges, crimpers, etc. Ice climbing uses larger muscle groups, but you're also wearing about 30 pounds of clothes and gear. The body movements are also waaaay different for TRADITIONAL ice climbing. Mixed climbing (very advanced) is more like traditional rock climbing. Traditional ice climbing is unique in the sense you make your placements based in large part on your reach, not just were the holds are. So that's different.

There's a definate technique to ice climbing. If you don't employ that technique you'll pump out and be stuck.

The gear involved is extensive and expensive. Not something you want to do once in a blue moon as you'll have $1000 of gear in your basement 362 days a year.

Ice climbing is also EXTREMELY dangerous for novice climbers. There's so much involved with regard to safety. In most areas, avalanche and ice-fall are major concerns. Lets not forget you're climbing with knives on all of your limbs. Then theres the cold temps, combersome clothes, limited daylight, etc. I think ice climbing promotes more stupid mistakes than rock climbing. More variables.

For those reasons, it's best to start in areas with super safe top rope options. I love the Ouray Ice Park for that reason. Super safe. Way different from boot-packing in for 3 hours to access a remote flow.

I think there's no better place to learn that Ouray, but I'm sure there's great places in the NE. Like anything, to "learn" to do it, you have to go often and hit a variety of flows. I probably climbed ice 10-25 times a year for a few years before I felt truly comfy on ice.

Have fun!

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
By the way...if you're not top roping, falling on ice is just NOT an option. Ice screws and traditional ice pro work and are necessary, but screws pull with alarming frequency. I know two guys that have taken falls on the ice. One was climbing the Ames Ice Hose in Colorado and broke both his legs in 15 places. He walks with a cane. The other pulled three screws on a climb in Vail and decked out...on top of a pine tree. All he got was a big cut. Lucky.

tommym

Observer
Safety is "good".I have 2 little guys who need me around.:) I have been checking out places to "learn".Do you recommend buying any equipment over renting to start?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz