Ice chest vs 12v fridge

FrenchieXJ

Expedition Leader
I did not see the total questions answered, so I will go a bit deeper.

Does the 12v option save space?

For a 3 day weekend Yes and No! The reason I say this is how much time is the vehicle being driven? If you are parking the vehicle for 3 days straight and not starting it = You may need a second battery. You may need a solar panel as well. = This takes up space in, on or around the vehicle with the added weight as well.

If your driving the vehicle long enough each day to get the battery charged up for the next night then you may not need the extras,

If the fridge does not have a low voltage cut off, you may need to carry a jumper battery pack.

Can you sleep near a 12v without getting woken up by a cycling compressor?

This depends on the person. Some people can sleep through almost everything, while a drop of a pin wakes up the next person. Mothers can here a baby roll over in their crib in the next room and sleep through a barking dog outside of their window.

Living on a ship with with constant noise around you, many people adjust to the noise.

What size is ideal for a couple few people on a 3 day weekend? Week long trip?

This is again subject to the eating and drinking habits of the people. Will you have a opportunity to resupply? From all of my years as a guide, what I do and have seen clients do. These are my thoughts.

It can go from one extreme to another and be just fine. I have been on 2+ week trips where a clients did not bring any cooler on purpose. By using canned food and drinking water. This was there life style. The fruits and produce were eaten as they ripened. Water was consumed at the ambient temperature.

I have also had clients that can consume a 6 pack of cold beer in a evening. They have to have a stake at dinner with fruits and vegetables every day, even ice cream. OK! Maybe the ice cream is me more then them.

When I was working I used a 80 Qt. fridge/freezer. When I retired I sold the 80 and went to 43Qt. size. It works for a 10 to 12 days for myself and about 5-6 days with 2 people.

I do cool down drinks at abut 3 to 4 at a time. Replacing the one removed with a warm one.

Without knowing your eating and drinking habits it is a guess for us to make.

Can they make enough ice to keep a beer cold in a separate cooler?

I generally have a small cooler for keeping items closer to the 45 * (degree) temp. (note; I do a lot of very warm desert temperatur traveling. I bring 4 of the QT. size blue ice and rotate them every day, into the cooler.

Again to answer you question. How cold do you want the beer. Is 33* your goal or is 40* + or - OK.?

This question again has a lot of variables. If you drink a 6 pack for yourself (group) in a day you may be able to keep it close to the 33* mark. If you have a group of people drinking a dozen or more them it may not keep up with replacing them and maintaining that temp. of the other stuff around it that cold.

I had one on a boat years ago that worked great but it was an energy hog.

That is the situation they do work and they take energy. The ambient temperature that the fridge is in makes them work harder to remove the heat from the stored goods.

Thoughts;
Living 50 years in the San Diego area I know about the desert temps.. I have found that by putting my Fridge/freezer in the vehicle where the AC can keep it cooler around will make the more efficient.
I have a cooler cover and that helps as well.
I do have most of the time the AC blowing into the intake of the fridge cooling vent. Granted this only works when the AC is on, but it helps the fridge use less energy.
I put in cool or cold goods to save it from working as hard.
The biggest thing that helps is I keep the door/lid closed. If you have kids this is a challenge.
I have seen people with the fridges set into small compartments some may have a vent for the cabinets and others do not. It seams to me that the cooler inside air and goods of a fridge will exchange the cold with the outside air through walls faster do to the hotter air around it. This will consume more energy.

From the other side of the fence.
For a need of cold beer the use of dry ice inside of a soft sided cooler, inside of the beer cooler will keep the beer very cold.

This is just my observations and experience.

Da Frenchman

Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Can you sleep near a 12v without getting woken up by a cycling compressor?

This depends on the person. Some people can sleep through almost everything, while a drop of a pin wakes up the next person. Mothers can here a baby roll over in their crib in the next room and sleep through a barking dog outside of their window.

Living on a ship with with constant noise around you, many people adjust to the noise.
You can sleep within a couple of feet from the small Snomaster, Even if you are awake trying to get to sleep they run that quite getting to sleep is not a problem, I am a light sleeper and the slightest noise wakes me, Other fridges really annoy me when it comes to getting asleep but not the 35L Snomaster, nothing comes close in that respect when it comes to the lack of noise.