I want your opinions on the Ecoboost.....

huntsonora

Explorer
Lol! It will take some getting used to for sure but the truck I drove was the crew cab long bed and it was like driving a car. Smooth ride.

As nice as it was it still didn't make me change my mind. The dodge diesels will be out sometime between August and October depending on who you talk to and I want to see how the torque is and if it gets good enough mileage to justify buying it if it runs good

Kaisen

Explorer
Ugh, nothing more annoying than coming into a thread specifically about ecoboost and reading about dodge, chevrolet, etc. Lets keep in mind lots of people will be viewing these threads, so if its specific to ecoboost lets try and keep it that way, there are plenty of other threads on which truck to buy.

The dodge diesels will be out sometime between August and October depending on who you talk to and I want to see how the torque is and if it gets good enough mileage to justify buying it if it runs good

I'm confused. Should I heed the warning from some random thread nazi about keeping this thread pure of EcoBoost content? Or comment on the OP's seemingly off-topic reference to the Ram 1500 diesel? My head's going to explode...

sourdough

Adventurer
It looks like my 03 Dodge QCSB is sold and I am thinking about selling my 4Runner Trail Edition and just going with a crew cab F-150 with the Ecoboost. I drove one the other day and absolutely loved it but other than that I just don't know a lot about them. The torque was amazing and the truck was cruising 65 at just over 1500 RPM's. It was effortless

Whats unknown is the durability of the twin turbo setup. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I think this would make a better family vehicle for my wife and I with our 2 kids and dog. We have a son due in August and our daughter is 14 months old so both will be in rear facing car seats. They just have a difficult time fitting on the 4Runner with the front seats back. I'm 6'4" and 260lbs so I need that seat back to be comfortable on longer trips

Talk to me fellas

My thoughts are totally about the true cost to own and reliabilty. The big three don't have it, getting better but for my money Toyota is the way to go.

http://www.edmunds.com/tco.html

huntsonora

Explorer
Or comment on the OP's seemingly off-topic reference to the Ram 1500 diesel? My head's going to explode...

It wasn't an off topic reference to the Dodge. If you were keeping up with the thread you will see that 2 other posters brought up the Dodge diesel, just as you brought up the GMC, and I was responding to them. I was merely pointing out that the new Ram 1500 diesel may have comparable torque to the Ecoboost and if it does it might make it a contender. I have driven the 2013 Dodge with the Hemi and I have driven the 2014 GMC and I don't like either one as much as I like the Ford with the EB engine.

Sorry your head is about to explode, its a shame that something as simple as this thread pushes you to your limits:victory:

Kaisen

Explorer
It wasn't an off topic reference to the Dodge. If you were keeping up with the thread you will see that 2 other posters brought up the Dodge diesel, just as you brought up the GMC, and I was responding to them. I was merely pointing out that the new Ram 1500 diesel may have comparable torque to the Ecoboost and if it does it might make it a contender. I have driven the 2013 Dodge with the Hemi and I have driven the 2014 GMC and I don't like either one as much as I like the Ford with the EB engine.

Sorry your head is about to explode, its a shame that something as simple as this thread pushes you to your limits:victory:

Haha, no I have been reading since the beginning. And if Ram or GM or Toyota or V8s were referenced by you, me, or anyone else....it's certainly pertinent to the thread. That's why they're called threads.

Tongue in cheek

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I'm confused. Should I heed the warning from some random thread nazi about keeping this thread pure of EcoBoost content? Or comment on the OP's seemingly off-topic reference to the Ram 1500 diesel? My head's going to explode...

X2…. I agree. I wonder how many other people will be annoyed and inconvenienced by this perceived worthless thread as they stumble across it after Googling “Ecoboost” in the future and sifting through pages of problems and lawsuits related to the ecoboost engines. This thread will look pretty informative. Now where is that face palm smiley when you need it :)

zeke2.0

Adventurer
For the record, I have 29K miles on my 2011 F-150 with EB. No problems, mileage varies on driving conditions. Traveling 25mph on Eastern FS roads, no one gets great mileage. But on the Freeway doing 75, between 18 to 20. Using 87 regular unleaded. City driving been getting between 15 to 17 depending on conditions (accident slowing everyone down, hurts the mpg).
I also run Motorcraft full synthetic. As good as Mobile 1 but less expensive.

19psi

The Devil Made Me
the thing about modern turbo engines is the torque and responsiveness. iv'e driven all the v8's and it seems that you ahve to rev all of them in order to get to that rated power. turbo engines make the power at cruising rpm which is exactly what we want.
Gone are the days of turbo lag due to VVT technology and direct injection.

huntsonora

Explorer
the thing about modern turbo engines is the torque and responsiveness. iv'e driven all the v8's and it seems that you ahve to rev all of them in order to get to that rated power. turbo engines make the power at cruising rpm which is exactly what we want.
Gone are the days of turbo lag due to VVT technology and direct injection.

This is what has me so impressed with the ecoboost. I am still going to wait to drive the new Dodge 1500 diesel and I would like some more information on that new 6.2 from Chevrolet. I hear that both of those engines have a lot of torque at 2000 RPM and up

19psi

The Devil Made Me
This is what has me so impressed with the ecoboost. I am still going to wait to drive the new Dodge 1500 diesel and I would like some more information on that new 6.2 from Chevrolet. I hear that both of those engines have a lot of torque at 2000 RPM and up
i'm thinking the 1500 diesel will also be impressive at low rpm, as all modern turbo diesels are. I'd certainly strongly consider one of those as well.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
i'm thinking the 1500 diesel will also be impressive at low rpm, as all modern turbo diesels are. I'd certainly strongly consider one of those as well.

The 6.2L GM engine is going to be bada$$ if it's anything like the other 6.0L I've driven. That's alot of engine for a little 1/2ton though.
-
Still, I prefer the 4.6L or 5.0L to the ECO in the F150's. Decent power/economy and it's really simple/reliable (give or take the cam phaser noise). The Ford 6.2L is overkill for the F150 (if that's even available outside of the Raptor). The Raptor I drove was insane, no need for that engine in a normal truck.
-
I'm going to wait to judge the Dodge diesel. Hopefully it's a marginally slow engine with great economy, not a momo diesel.

Kaisen

Explorer
Here's the Corvette's version of the new Gen V 6.2L
It's rated at 460hp and 465lb-ft, and we can expect the truck will have roughly 30-35 less horsepower and 5-10 less lb-ft
But the curve will remain largely similar, if not for shifting the torque curve slightly lower in revs for the truck

2014-Corvette-LT1-V8-TorqueHP-medium-650x781.jpg

Note that it's over 400 lb-ft from 1850 rpm to 6000 rpm.....high compression, direct injection, and variable valve timing will do that....

Kaisen

Explorer
BTW, GM anticipates a 20mpg official freeway EPA rating out of the 6.2L in Crew Cab 4x4 trim. The 2014 5.3L Crew 4x4 earned 22mpg.

For comparison, the Ford EcoBoost is rated 21mpg, and the Ford 6.2L does 16mpg.

Wiley

Adventurer
I really wasn't wanting to get into a Ford vs Chevrolet thread. I appreciate the feedback but am trying to gather as much info on the Ecoboost as possible.

Ugh, nothing more annoying than coming into a thread specifically about ecoboost and reading about dodge, chevrolet, etc. Lets keep in mind lots of people will be viewing these threads, so if its specific to ecoboost lets try and keep it that way, there are plenty of other threads on which truck to buy.

X2…. I agree. I wonder how many other people will be annoyed and inconvenienced by this perceived worthless thread as they stumble across it after Googling “Ecoboost” in the future and sifting through pages of problems and lawsuits related to the ecoboost engines. This thread will look pretty informative. Now where is that face palm smiley when you need it :)

Its ok girls, I will ignore you, you can do the same with me. Clearly reading comprehension is tough for some of you, as the comments were not directed to anyone in specific, and if anything were directed to the vehicle, not engine comments. Yes, it is annoying to go into a thread about an engine and see the usual this truck is better....we are talking about engines here....sorry if I got your panties in a bunch, its the internet your free to post what you'd like.

I will continue to follow the thread and get what I can from it regarding the engine, as the thread has lots of potential. Thanks OP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles