I want to find a 120 V timer powered off 12v or battery backup

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'm sure there are many ways to solve my problem, but I'm also sure there is a simple solution... trouble is finding it.

What I'd like to do is plug in to shore power with a single cord and have the charger get constant power and have the block heater turn on at a specified time. Simple enough... except most timers need power to operate the clock.

Possible solutions:

1) Line voltage Timer with a good battery backup that can operate days without being plugged in.

2) 12 volt timer which will switch 120v circuit.

3) 12 volt timer connected to a relay to switch the 120 v circuit.

FDM2012

Adventurer
Does your rig have the male and female plugs under the hood that go to your block heater?
If so, couldn't you just put a 120 volt timer there? If on shore power, mine gets power to that female
plug......

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
12v programmable thermostat controlling a high voltage relay. Most have 7 day programming, but some are more advanced.

Google "heated floor thermostat".

VOODOO7.3

Adventurer
Christmas light timers are cheap and simple. When I've needed block heater daily, I left timer in outdoor outlet, retractable cord, and Marinco male with weather cover in front bumper. I set mine to turn on 45 minutes before starting. Never had to reset it.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I've got one of those, but that doesn't help with the battery charger or other things to get continuos power.

It could be done with two cords. For the most part it'll be for the interior heat and the block heater.

Looking like 12v timer controlling a line voltage relay... Possibly even throw in a thermostat for good measure. Preferably in a neat and tidy package.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I didn't suggest the thermostat as a thermostat...was just thinking of it as a 12v multi-day programmable timer that could be used to control a relay. Don't really think you actually need it as a thermostat per se.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The relay in a household furnace thermostat is probably a reed relay that wouldn't handle significant current, however a thermostat for domestic electric heater would work fine business.

The Honeywell LineVoltPRO 8000, for example, is rated 240V/15A and is a 7-day timer.

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/en/products/thermostat/linevoltpro-8000-7-day-progra-tl8230a1003

Not super cheaper (typically about $50), but there's probably many similar options. But these run off line power, not batteries.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader

I've looked at those... But it looks like they'll switch a 12v appliance... I'm looking for something similar that'd switch a 120v heater and/or block heater. Yes I could run two cords, but that'd be a bigger hassle and would either mean cutting a new hole in the side of the Ambo or no weather protection.

I'd rather just have the single cord and a timer that'd warm the block (if needed) and defrost the windows before I come out in the am. I'd need a 12v timer that'll switch 120v or a 120v timer with battery backup that can be unplugged for days...

image.jpg

DaveInDenver

I've looked at those... But it looks like they'll switch a 12v appliance... I'm looking for something similar that'd switch a 120v heater and/or block heater. Yes I could run two cords, but that'd be a bigger hassle and would either mean cutting a new hole in the side of the Ambo or no weather protection.

I'd rather just have the single cord and a timer that'd warm the block (if needed) and defrost the windows before I come out in the am. I'd need a 12v timer that'll switch 120v or a 120v timer with battery backup that can be unplugged for days...

View attachment 370227
Those timers in the Amazon link are electric water heater timers apparently, so 120VAC is fine (they are rated 240V, 16A on the relay). You want the timer to run on 12VDC and switch 120VAC, right? Pretty sure that's exactly what those CN101A timers do.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-LCD-Di...er-Switch-Time-Relay-12V-DC-16A-/272213696484

12CDCFCE33CECE03C9FE13634393236343CDA363A063.JPG

DaveInDenver

Looks like this is one that might should fit the bill. Rechargeable battery backup which is good for 100 days... Will have to do a bit more reading to ensure it doesn't loose time and just keep programming.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019...s_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QC6A8XZD5S03D2VDTN93
That would switch the 120V side and the battery is charged when it's plugged in. If you leave it unplugged it's probably going to reset eventually, although 100 days is a pretty long time so it might work for your application.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier

Members online