I think I found my Overland Rig.... Help me out here

heraldj07

So during lunch yesterday i found this CL post for the following.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-toyota-4runner-sr5-sport/6323776765.html

It looks really clean and im strongly considering it. However, i havent seen it in person yet.

I have printed off the buyers guide that walks through all of the common issues.

My question is, Is It Worth It? Do i have room to negociate? Maybe down to 4k?

Timing belt was changed 25k ago.

This will not be a daily driver.

The lift on it is spacers in the front and rough country shocks in the back. (I will be upgrading this later)

ANY and all Thoughts are welcome!! Ive been searching for quite some time.

plus it has E-Lockers

Nikkshepherd

Observer
Great looking runner. As i'ts a Midwestern vehicle, be sure to examine the frame carefully. Other than that she looks great!

Mako1114

Adventurer
That looks like it has a center differential locker rather than an e-locker which is typical of 2001 model year.

Cheers

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
the features in the sport package mentions the RR locker. i would make sure it engages before you buy as well as try out the 4-lo etc. no front locker, don't think that was available.

Always try to get it cheaper if you can. seems like an OK price, but i live in an inflated market

heraldj07

First off I want to thank this fourm for guiding me and giving me all that I needed to politely tell you kid to ******* off.

We parked in the back corner of a local wine store and I was able to watch it drive in.. a thing of beauty. My wife and I got all giddy. Afterall this is our dream.. to finally have a travel specific vehicle for our family!

We went though the pleasantries and I asked if I could look around. I immediately looked for underbody rust.. thanks to previous posts.

And now this is where it gets... Umm frustrating.. rust was usual for this area. A negotiating point.

And as I scanned the under body ... I saw it. The dreaded lower control arm was hastily repaired with some steel plate and some really shotty welds.

I kindly told him what I found and he said "o really?" And didn't send surprised didn't get down and look. It was a horrible performance on his part. I thanked him for wasting my time and drive off..

Maybe next month

dman93

Adventurer
I know this is now past history, but I looked at the CL ad and it set off alarms for me ... for example, he mentions 3" lift and 33" tires, but no mention of brands; and the sticker he shows has no mention of the rear locker (front locker never available on 4Runner). On the other hand, a new or rust-free used replacement lower control arm can't be very pricey. My perspective on older Toyotas is that if the body and interior are good, mechanical parts can always be found. Anyway, good luck! I'm in a newer truck now, but I still think the 3.4V6 and 4 speed auto make a fine platform, and the Made in Japan 4Runner just seems nicer than equivalent US made Tacomas.

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
Firstly...I applaud you and your wife for taking the plunge and grabbing the wanderlust by the horns. The 4Runner is an excellent platform with plenty of choices, a well supported aftermarket, and solid drivetrain to build from. Good times are sure to follow.

One tip I'll offer that helped us during our Tacoma search...look at a lot of vehicles before pulling the trigger.

I drove and looked at ten Tacomas before I pulled the trigger, and I saw alot and learned even more about what people write in a CL ad versus what you actually discover once you see the vehicle.

heraldj07

https://limaohio.craigslist.org/cto/d/4runner/6333326980.html

So we decided to get up this morning and make a three-hour Drive North to Clinton Ohio to test drive the one in the ad above everything looks really really good the interior is immaculate the exterior has minimal rust only on the rocker panels but the ad says 200,000 miles and when I turn the key on it was 222,000 Miles I'm in the middle of negotiating with this guy right now he's supposed to call me back soon but if I can get it down to 3500 I was considering it what do you guys think?

heraldj07

The truck was actually in really good condition he had all the service records from 2010 on with every single oil change and new part that was added or replaced. I think the mileage was a true mistake but he won't budge on price as of right now he said he's going to check with his wife and we all know what that means. my wife and I drove the truck around for about 45 minutes and all the four wheel drive features work correctly the truck steered really well brakes really well the suspension itself seems really tight overall it seems like a great vehicle it's just the price tag and the mileage

Arktikos

Explorer
https://limaohio.craigslist.org/cto/d/4runner/6333326980.html

So we decided to get up this morning and make a three-hour Drive North to Clinton Ohio to test drive the one in the ad above everything looks really really good the interior is immaculate the exterior has minimal rust only on the rocker panels but the ad says 200,000 miles and when I turn the key on it was 222,000 Miles I'm in the middle of negotiating with this guy right now he's supposed to call me back soon but if I can get it down to 3500 I was considering it what do you guys think?

I think it sounds like a good deal. Extra bonus for having cloth seats rather than crappy leather. Good luck!

heraldj07

I'm going to re name this thread to "adventures in purchasing a runner with Josh"

The guy never called back and is ignoring my calls. I will continue to hunt these down and test-drive every listing on Craigslist. I will without restraint share my experiences on here as more of a support group for my sorrows . Stay tuned.....

Simons

Adventurer
I've had a bit of experience with higher mileage 3rd gen 4Runners, I own three of them. The newest being 17yrs old, the oldest 21yrs old. In my experience there's a few other things to look out/ask about other than the typical frame rust, timing belt and lower ball joints. I think It's not so much the mileage but the age that contributes to the following. I find that it's just typical maintenance up to the 250000kms range. Then you start to see pricey things like the rack and pinion begin to leak from the input shaft seal. If the cooling system hasn't been maintained both heater cores tend to block up. Rear differential pinion bearings start to go. Front and rear wheel bearings. The rears aren't too difficult to do but require a special fixture to hold the bearing while you press it off the shaft. The front bearings are TIGHT to press out. A/C compressors usually hold on into the +300,000kms range. If you find one with the rear e-locker the actuator tends to get ornery, sometimes not fully or not at all engaging the locker. The tailgate window regulator guide wheels wear out and pop off causing the glass to jam in the tracks usually half way up. The fuel tank, filler neck and sending unit are steel and if it's from the rust belt area expect to be replacing at least the filler neck and sending unit for perforation. If you see rust on the outside of the rockers on one equipped with running boards, it's usually rusted from the inside out. So what you see is usually just the tip of the iceberg.
Good luck with your search.
Cheers and happy hunting!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles