I need Westfalia Measurements.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
I have some crazy idea. Find a bombed out Westy and get the camper parts in particular the roof top bed assembly and put it on something else. I don't know anybody with one to measure myself. Looking for overall length and width and length of just the lift section and what year it was on.

I would love to graft one onto my 4Runner but I a am confident it's not as wide as a Vanagon and I don't think it will be as wide as a 211 bus either BUT I still am tossing around a Diesel solid axle Suburban. The Sub would also allow for MUCH more room including potentially reusing the galley.

Thanks!

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Like this?

Haven't seen Mr. Suave around in awhile, he's probably off chilling on some point break somewhere warm, but you might PM him for ideas...?

slooowr6

Explorer
If you post the question 2 weeks earlier.........
119466743-M.jpg

The wheel is a 215/75/15 so make be you can see how long the pop up is, that's a 86 Vanagon.
This is the inside of the top bed, the fold out session is not open.
119508708-M.jpg

________
ZR750F

Last edited:

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
kcowyo said:
Like this?

Haven't seen Mr. Suave around in awhile, he's probably off chilling on some point break somewhere warm, but you might PM him for ideas...?
\
Yep like that except on a fiberglass removable roof of a 86 4 Runner.

I wonder what year that is off of. It doesn't have the basket section. The front opening looks a little flat to be a Bus

I just missed a Vanagon Westy for $500 with a blown motor and other issues on craigslist a couple months ago. :(

My big problem is I am a softy for hard cases. I put a K5 back to ghether I bought for a $1 and floors were not included...I need a really screwed up rust out or wreck to savage from...If its repairable I wouldn't have the heart to finish it off and send it to the junkyard. LOL.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
slooowr6 said:
If you post the question 2 weeks earlier.........
119466743-M.jpg

The wheel is a 215/75/15 so make be you can see how long the pop up is, ]
Little measuring and Looks like the lift area will be between 95-100 inches. Thats longer then the total roof on the 4Runner. :( It would be a good fit on the Suburban and actually put the opening over the back seats making getting in and out pretty easy.

Wonder if the bus is any shorter. Problem is the bus roof being some domed it may not work at all.

Thanks for the pictures. That helped me get a idea.

Now I have to sell the wife on needing to sell our burb (2wd 454) in favor of a different burb (4wd Diesel) LOL. Now I did run across a newer Greesle converted 2500 Burb on Craigslist last night....hehehe. Hmmmm Solid axle swap thought before I would be happy with it but I could use a Ford D60 and coil spring set up off a SD 250. That would be sweet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier