I need some MAJOR help!!!!

KG6BWS

Explorer
Someone please talk me out of going and buying a brand new KLR650!!!

I SOOOOOO miss riding and Im really wanting one right now.

:bike_rider::bike_rider::bike_rider:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
OK.

Go try a Yamaha WR250R first. Has about the same power/weight, but the Yamaha is about 100lbs lighter. The WR also has no vibrations at speed. 3000 mile oil change interval and 24,000 for the valves (which one person has reached already, and valves were still good).

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
The new KLRs are great bikes...so I'm not going to help you other than to say it's a great time to ride....

-H- :elkgrin:

scarysharkface

Explorer
If you want to focus on off-road, get the WR250R. If you want to ride highways to get there and other places further afield, KLR.

Riding is good for the soul, regardless which bike you're on.

John

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I'm wondering, other than the seat and fuel range, what is better about the KLR onroad? I've never ridden one.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I don't think anyone here is going to try and talk you off the ledge.

I hear you can get some pretty good deals on the new KLR's right now.

csw4

Before you sign on the dotted line, educate yourself on the new "improved" KLR:

http://tinyurl.com/2wgco93

I'd shop for a lightly used older KLR, or a new DR650, V-Strom, F650, XR650.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Before you sign on the dotted line, educate yourself on the new "improved" KLR:

http://tinyurl.com/2wgco93

I'd shop for a lightly used older KLR, or a new DR650, V-Strom, F650, XR650.

The 685 kit works wonders for retaining oil. Then all you have to worry about is whether the normal engine sound is really the doohickey preparing to explode and what an overly long side stand might do to a parked bike!

I've had an 08 KLR for about 2000 miles, mostly highway with a few trails, and its been fun. The PO of the PO installed the 685 kit, Sargent seat, SW Motech crash bars and luggage racks which are all very useful. I wish he hadn't "upgraded" the horn to an aftermarket Stebel which started off unimpressive and now doesn't work at all.

Enjoy. :bike_rider:

Cheers,
Graham

D

Deleted member 9101

Buy used...take the money you saved and use it to buy farkle.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I've heard you can get an 09 KLR for $3999 right now. What was a very good value got a lot better - provided it is the right bike for you (it isn't for me). I would also be a little leary of the oil burning issue - which may or may not have been taken care of (haven't heard one way or another).

Right off the bat it has great fuel range and can carry loads. Right off the showroom floor, it is truly an "Adventure Bike" in the sense that you can go long distances on it over varied terrain. For all it's detractors - try to find an adventure ready bike anywhere near the price of a KLR (not that it does anything great). It's a half-price KTM 640 (and probably less than half performance).

On the downside, it is a big heavy pig. At 5'8", it is waaaay too big for me to consider taking on anything other than fireroads. We had a rider go down on a pre-08 KLR yesterday and, although it was somewhat loaded, I could barely get it upright. Seriously - it's not even close to a dirt bike. It's listed at 432 pounds (about 100 pounds more than my XChallenge - or a TE610 or 50 pounds more than a DR650). Only 20 pounds less than a Versys and 40 pounds less than a VStrom. (I would go for one of those - but that's me)

But if you're a bigger guy who doesn't plan on doing aggressive trails (or you have the ability/balls to take it on those trails), it's a great value.

Last edited:

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
How about doing what I did and keep your eye, and your friends eyes on Craigslist for a used KLR?

I found a 2000 for that. A little fix up here and there and I think if I decide it is not for me, I can sell it and get my money back.

Thus far I am really enjoying it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles