I Need Opinions. You Guys Like Giving Opinions, Right?

Clutch

<---Pass
If you haven't seen this already:http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/68424-My-new-custom-ATC-flatbed-camper

gallery_2_125_63875.jpg

LilPoppa

Adventurer

I did see that. That's a pretty cool build. I noticed he said the bed was 7x7, so that's basically what I'd be looking at (does 7' wide seem too much though?)

I haven't talked to them about it, but I'd like a huge door in the back so the whole thing would open up. Inside would be basically empty and I'd just use camping furniture inside with one of those bunk-bed cots( http://www.discobedshop.com/Disc_O_BedL_p/30001bo.htm) for the kids to sleep in. We do a lot of camping out of our canoe, so we have all that stuff anyway. Then if I needed to haul ******** I could empty everything out and I'd have a pretty spacious cube.

Clutch

<---Pass
I did see that. That's a pretty cool build. I noticed he said the bed was 7x7, so that's basically what I'd be looking at (does 7' wide seem too much though?)

I haven't talked to them about it, but I'd like a huge door in the back so the whole thing would open up. Inside would be basically empty and I'd just use camping furniture inside with one of those bunk-bed cots( http://www.discobedshop.com/Disc_O_BedL_p/30001bo.htm) for the kids to sleep in. We do a lot of camping out of our canoe, so we have all that stuff anyway. Then if I needed to haul ******** I could empty everything out and I'd have a pretty spacious cube.

7' doesn't seem too wide to me, doesn't look like it sticks out any further than the mirrors.

An empty shell is how I do it, makes it more versatile. The only thing I would have permanent would be a heater.

Not sure if they can do a huge door or not...read somewhere they can't because of structural integrity. Might be wrong, you'll have to ask. Can do it on a Callen..."should" be able to do it on a ATC.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...en-Air-Camper-build-Callen-on-Dodge-Short-Bed

images

Fairly large door on this Phoenix Camper...should be able to do one.

callen-4.jpg
callen-3.jpg

callen-2.jpg

Last edited:

LilPoppa

Adventurer
There we go. The doors on that Callen camper would be perfect, but something like the Pheonix would be good too.
I'm not sure how big their furnaces are, but that is one thing I need I suppose. I was thinking about AT Overland's portable heater with an access hatch on the camper for the ducting. It may just be simpler to have give up a little space and install one of theirs.

STREGA

Explorer
I just went through (and subscribed) to your thread. It looks like you're doing what I'm dreaming of doing. I'll probably be copying you quite a bit in the next year, haha. I really like that rear step.

I'm thinking more and more that a 1-tonne is the way to go. After seeing you end up with over 3000lbs to work with after the flatbed being installed swayed me a bit. It will be my "DD", and will therefore suck (literally and figuratively) in the milage department, but I don't drive that much anyway. I have the opposite of vehicle ADD and want to have this truck for many years, so no sense overloading it.

Copy away, that's pretty much what I'am doing there's already quite a few flatbed/popup's out there that are my inspiration. Mine will be a DD as well, been seeing between 9 to 16 mpg with just the flatbed actually gets good mpg's @ 65 mph. Thanks for subscribing to my thread hoping that others will be inspired by it.

Clutch

<---Pass
There we go. The doors on that Callen camper would be perfect, but something like the Pheonix would be good too.
I'm not sure how big their furnaces are, but that is one thing I need I suppose. I was thinking about AT Overland's portable heater with an access hatch on the camper for the ducting. It may just be simpler to have give up a little space and install one of theirs.

I have been using a generator and a portable electric heater, heats well enough for me...however... it is kind of a pain in the ********, have boat gas tank plumbed in so it will last through the night...all of that takes up a lot of room in travel mode... plus listening to the gen all night when I want peace and quiet. Find myself, just turning it off, and dealing with the cold. Last camping trip I left it at home, cause I didn't want to deal with it.

Have been looking at these propane catalytic heaters.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/olympian-wave-3-catalytic-safety-heater/19332

Last edited:

STREGA

Explorer
I have been using a generator and a portable electric heater, heats well enough for me...however... it is kind of a pain in the ********, plus listening to the gen all night when I want peace and quiet. Find myself, just turning it off, and dealing with the cold.

Have been looking at these propane catalytic heaters.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/olympian-wave-3-catalytic-safety-heater/19332

We have a similar heater in our 5th wheel that helps take the load off the main furnace, it works well but being ventless I don't use it while sleeping.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
We have a similar heater in our 5th wheel that helps take the load off the main furnace, it works well but being ventless I don't use it while sleeping.

That scares me about propane...why I went with electric instead. But it is a pain, since I have to go outside to fire up the gen. Thought about wiring in a remote, not sure I want to fuss any more with that system. Finding out I don't care for the generator.

rruff

Explorer
Here is an idea how far an 8' camper will hangover the rear on a 6.5' bed. Which isn't too bad. Would imagine the flatbed would sit right where that crease is on the lower body panel that runs the length of the truck..

IMG_0550.jpg

No, that's where the current bed sits. The flatbed will need to be lot higher to clear the wheels at full articulation. The top of the wheel wells is a better estimate.

I don't see the appeal of flatbeds. It makes your CG higher and you need a ladder to get in. What are the upsides?

rruff

Explorer
That scares me about propane...why I went with electric instead. But it is a pain, since I have to go outside to fire up the gen. Thought about wiring in a remote, not sure I want to fuss any more with that system. Finding out I don't care for the generator.

I would hate a generator also! Incredibly wasteful too, to use them for heat.

Pretty much everybody uses propane, so I don't think it's that scary if you use good sense. A better sleeping bag if it is real cold at night is the best solution, vs leaving a heater on. Batteries, solar, and an electric blanket inside your bag might work too. How cold is it when you camp?

I lived in my truck for 13 years and never heated it. I moved with the seasons though, so it wasn't that cold. Rarely below freezing.

LilPoppa

Adventurer
I want a flatbed because of the extra room it would give me. I don't know man, I've driven loaded flatbed pickups down some pretty gnarly "roads" up North and it wasn't so bad. You just have to drive to conditions and drive the vehicle you're in, you know?

I hear about not needing heat a lot of the time. I can't imagine using it in the summer, but if I had a heated camper we'd be going out earlier and later in the year. Currently we camp in sub zero (celcius) temperatures and our sleeping bags work just fine. It would just be nice to be able to hang out with a coffee in the morning and not be bundled up.

That's one reason why I'm hesitant to get a permanent heater. If I had something I could remove, I could take it out in the summer and have that extra space.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
No, that's where the current bed sits. The flatbed will need to be lot higher to clear the wheels at full articulation. The top of the wheel wells is a better estimate.

I don't see the appeal of flatbeds. It makes your CG higher and you need a ladder to get in. What are the upsides?

Ahh you're right...just looked at it real quick...his departure angle wouldn't be too horrible then, might even be close to stock or a little better.

There is a lot of wasted space with a conventional truck bed...yeah you give up a little COG, but gain a bunch of useable space. Keep the weight low and you'll be fine. Guess the same argument can be said by going well over a vehicle's payload ratings. Some guys say it is ok, while others are vehemently against it.

I have had our old F350 dump truck (which is more or less a flatbed) down some gnarly roads fetching firewood. Never put its' roof...even with it loaded down. That dump bed was all steel...not exactly light.

An aluminum bed and camper, would be like nothing.

I would hate a generator also! Incredibly wasteful too, to use them for heat.

Pretty much everybody uses propane, so I don't think it's that scary if you use good sense. A better sleeping bag if it is real cold at night is the best solution, vs leaving a heater on. Batteries, solar, and an electric blanket inside your bag might work too. How cold is it when you camp?

I lived in my truck for 13 years and never heated it. I moved with the seasons though, so it wasn't that cold. Rarely below freezing.

Good friend's aunt and uncle died because of carbon monoxide poisoning. It was from a vented furnace in their RV. Very leery of propane heating. Generator while a pain in the ********...pretty safe though.

Winter camping here in Idaho it can get into the negatives. I like the cold, but... :D

Don't really have the right camper for winter camper...have a Wildernest which is more or less a glorified tent. Reading up on it...FWC and ATC's aren't that good either in below freezing temps either.

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
There is a lot of wasted space with a conventional truck bed...yeah you give up a little COG, but gain a bunch of useable space.

I agree that conventional truck beds are less than ideal, which is why I'm removing mine. But a flatbed isn't any better. You are throwing away a ~50" x 96" x 10" space that is low and centered. Prime real estate. Everything is 10" higher then, including the roof.

A better solution is to make a "flat" bed at the same height as your regular bed with cutouts for the wheel wells. Make it whatever length and width you like, and build the rest of the camper on top. If you don't want to build your own, Total Composites makes custom camper kits that aren't that ridiculous. ~$15-20k. Foam sandwich, very light and well insulated.

Good friend's aunt and uncle died because of carbon monoxide poisoning. It was from a vented furnace in their RV. Very leery of propane heating.

Did they leave it on at night? I'd never advocate doing that. Gotta have bags and blankets that are enough when sleeping. You can fire up the heater in the morning.

UHAULER

Explorer
I agree that conventional truck beds are less than ideal, which is why I'm removing mine. But a flatbed isn't any better. You are throwing away a ~50" x 96" x 10" space that is low and centered. Prime real estate. Everything is 10" higher then, including the roof.

A better solution is to make a "flat" bed at the same height as your regular bed with cutouts for the wheel wells. Make it whatever length and width you like, and build the rest of the camper on top. If you don't want to build your own, Total Composites makes custom camper kits that aren't that ridiculous. ~$15-20k. Foam sandwich, very light and well insulated.

Did they leave it on at night? I'd never advocate doing that. Gotta have bags and blankets that are enough when sleeping. You can fire up the heater in the morning.

You are right about that " prime real estate." On most flatbeds it becomes dead air space.

Clutch

<---Pass

Always a compromise no matter what you do. Could always augment it with a drawer under the bed and tool boxes under the sides, like most people do.

A sunken flatbed would be more ideal, like you're saying.

maxresdefault.jpg

They did.

I dunno...since temps drop at night, that is when you need the heater...otherwise what is the point? For me I don't camp just to camp...I am out doing something during the day...the camper is really only used for sleeping and a place to cook, don't like hanging out in it. These things are made to make camping more comfortable. What is the point of spending all this money if you're gonna freeze your ******** off at night? Ya know what I mean?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles