I Need Opinions. You Guys Like Giving Opinions, Right?

rruff

Explorer
A sunken flatbed would be more ideal, like you're saying.

There isn't much gained on that truck. But I checked mine yesterday and there is 12" between the top of the wheel well and the bottom of the bed. If you are going to leave the camper on all the time you could design the camper bottom to mount to the frame and save weight and cost.

I realize that you can get some of that space back with external boxes but the center part I mentioned does not have easy access. You could in theory stick batteries or a water tank or something under there, but I'd rather have stuff where it's easy to get to. And it's nice to have the entry and main floor ~12" closer to the ground.

I dunno...since temps drop at night, that is when you need the heater...otherwise what is the point?

IME the time when heat would be nicest is at night *before* going to sleep, when you are doing things and can't be buried in a bag. Or in the morning when you get up and it's cold. When sleeping you should have a really good bag, or like I said earlier maybe you could rig up an electric blanket inside if you have decent solar capacity. A well insulated camper can make a significant difference also.

Clutch

<---Pass
There isn't much gained on that truck. But I checked mine yesterday and there is 12" between the top of the wheel well and the bottom of the bed. If you are going to leave the camper on all the time you could design the camper bottom to mount to the frame and save weight and cost.

I realize that you can get some of that space back with external boxes but the center part I mentioned does not have easy access. You could in theory stick batteries or a water tank or something under there, but I'd rather have stuff where it's easy to get to. And it's nice to have the entry and main floor ~12" closer to the ground.

Yeah, always some sort of compromise. Fix one problem...6 others arise. ;) Nice thing about a flatbed, is not having to deal with wheel wells. Seems like defeating the purposed by putting wheel wells in it.

Could always do a service body and have a a camper built for it.

41981d1330319737-flatbed-camper-ford1.jpg

IME the time when heat would be nicest is at night *before* going to sleep, when you are doing things and can't be buried in a bag. Or in the morning when you get up and it's cold. When sleeping you should have a really good bag, or like I said earlier maybe you could rig up an electric blanket inside if you have decent solar capacity. A well insulated camper can make a significant difference also.

My point is, if you're gonna spend all that money...you shouldn't need a sleeping bag. Might as well tent camp and save yourself....$15-70K. (those are FWC to XP Camper prices, not including the truck) Heck, that buys an awful lot of cabin rentals during ski/sled season. Maybe it is just a matter of finding the right heat source that won't kill you in the middle of the night ;) ....though somewhat of a pain in the ********...the generator/electric heater is winning so far. Wasn't too costly either...$1000 for the gen...those little 1300-1500w heaters are like $20. AT's portable propane is what $1200? Nice thing about the gen, you can use it for a variety of things...AT's heater, is used for one thing only.

Will have too look into solar more...don't know too much about it. Not sure how well it will keep the batteries charged during the winter months, especially with overcast skies and snow storms. How long can you run an 1300-1500w electric heater before draining the battery?

Looking diesel too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/122167397772?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

https://www.webasto.com/int/markets-products/truck/heating-systems/products/air-top-2000-stc/

Have been looking at composites...or even taking a reefer slide-in and convert it to a camper. Cut some windows in it and call it good.

http://www.cstk.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/IMG_0168_.jpg

Even considering building my own so you can get a popup...make it so you can sleep with the top closed during the winter months.

https://tembotravelservices.wordpre...mper-unit-4x4camper-unit-offroad-camper-unit/

q.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles