I need help and advice on finding s camper for my new 1/2ton truck.

Luckychase5

Adventurer
So I see pepper pole with pop up campers all over Oregon in half tons and first gen Tundras. Why is this so achievable? Or are they just overdoing their GVWR? Do “helper air bags” help at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazysccrmd

Observer
So I see pepper pole with pop up campers all over Oregon in half tons and first gen Tundras. Why is this so achievable? Or are they just overdoing their GVWR? Do “helper air bags” help at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The airbags keep the truck from squatting in the rear end but they are still over GVWR. In my experience with my Tacoma it isn't a huge deal but I don’t want to do it again if I can avoid it. In this picture the truck is about 1200lbs over GVWR and I had just finished towing a 3500lb trailer from AK to WA without any problems. I then drove the TAT halfway across the country without any problems as well. With the right suspension the truck won’t look overweight when’s in reality it is way over.

E6B44BA7-8421-4692-B28B-C5E2514025C4.jpeg

Last edited:

Photobug

This is a common misconception. The roads to Alaska and in Alaska are not difficult or dangerous. The biggest problems likely to be encountered are a flat tire or running out of gas due to poor planning.

Won't you want at least a good selection of spare on hand and the tools to install them?

I just watched a trip of an overlander on the way up the Yukon to the Arctic Circle. His story was a lot of people with lesser vehicles were being towed out of mud and ditches and he had to improvise a fuel pump repair to keep his truck moving. I was figuring the road to Alaska would be similar. I am considering doing it next summer, good to hear it is not so rough.

crazysccrmd

Observer
Won't you want at least a good selection of spare on hand and the tools to install them?

I just watched a trip of an overlander on the way up the Yukon to the Arctic Circle. His story was a lot of people with lesser vehicles were being towed out of mud and ditches and he had to improvise a fuel pump repair to keep his truck moving. I was figuring the road to Alaska would be similar. I am considering doing it next summer, good to hear it is not so rough.

Not really. I have driven or ridden up to Tuktoyaktuk, Deadhorse and just about every driveable road that leads somewhere in Alaska and a honda civic could make most of them if the weather is halfway decent. If your vehicle is in good repair when you start you shouldn’t need any spare parts. Tools to repair or replace a flat tire and enough gas is all you will usually need. There is no overlanding through the Yukon to the Arctic Ocean, you drive on a two lane gravel/dirt road that’s used by semi-trucks with gas stops well within normal ranges on a single tank for all but the worst gas guzzlers.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Op, EVERY Tacoma, tundra ,F-150, RAM 1500 and Silverados with slide in truck campers Are OVER gvw, I might add as well as most 3/4 trucks.
Before you waste your time and money on little trucks be diligent and and add ALL possible weight scenarios.
I would bet within a year you'll be buying heavier springs or air bags, and regretting not going with a larger vehicle.
I'm also very skeptical of these high MPG claims.
IMHO, little trucks do far better towing a camper rather than carrying one.

tacollie

Glamper
I run a FWC on a Tundra. Loaded up for trips in an offer GVWR by a couple hundred pounds. I have e rated tires and different leaf springs. The truck handles and stops great. 80mph through Wyoming with 33s yields 13.5 mpgs. I have yet to regret my choice to buy a half ton. My buddy just sold his 2012 E350 camper and bought a tundra/fwc combo because the Ford handled like crap on and off road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles