I need a route building program for PC

smritte

As the title says, I need a stand alone mapping program. I have Gaia but its web based and while it works for mapping and sending to my Ipad, it has issues sending a GPX file I created to my PC.
Here's what I need to do, create a route and put the GPX file into my PC and modify one of my existing GPX files. I have folders with all my GPX files stored. I would like to modify, share (email a GPX), update.....from my pc.

When I searched, I found a few older posts and mostly said install Gaia.

chacomaya

Depending on how much you need the program to find good routes for you, what I do might also work for you. I ride motorcycles (street and dirt), and often do long trips, so I subscribe to REVER. I create the route in REVER, then save the GPX to my computer. Then I upload the GPX to Garmin Basecamp and use one of my Garmin devices to navigate (Zumo for the bikes, Overlander for the Jeep). I *could* make the routes in Basecamp, but I find it very annoying to use for this purpose and it always overrides my plan with a more direct route, which is usually exactly what I am trying to avoid! I also do not like using Gaia and a phone or tablet for navigation. I have had too many situations where they lose signal and stop working.

Howard70

Adventurer
You might look into ExpertGPS. I've used it off and on for nearly 15 years. One of the best programs I've run across for handling, translating and editing gpx and other formats. I'm not sure it does routing but it may.

Howard

smritte

Depending on how much you need the program to find good routes for you, what I do might also work for you. I ride motorcycles (street and dirt), and often do long trips, so I subscribe to REVER. I create the route in REVER, then save the GPX to my computer. Then I upload the GPX to Garmin Basecamp and use one of my Garmin devices to navigate (Zumo for the bikes, Overlander for the Jeep). I *could* make the routes in Basecamp, but I find it very annoying to use for this purpose and it always overrides my plan with a more direct route, which is usually exactly what I am trying to avoid! I also do not like using Gaia and a phone or tablet for navigation. I have had too many situations where they lose signal and stop working.

I used basecamp for years. It was exactly what I needed. I built a new computer and when i load it, it needs to see the "garmin" gps to finish set up. My Garmin was stolen years ago. If I did have it, all I could find was on a monthly subscription. My biggest reason here is being able to create a backup of my GPX files in my computer and maybe add in some new routes. Doing this on my 8 inch tablet is ok but I prefer my 22 inch monitor.

smritte

I downloaded basecamp last night. Following the link in the program got me to the topo maps for sale. I have a vague memory of it needing to see my Garmin device. That wasn't the case last night. I'm hoping that doesn't pop up when I buy the topo part. I already have an account that shows I bought the topo part several years ago. Sadly I have to buy it again. It wont let me redownload. I have to wait until next month to purchase it and I will post up my findings then. So far I have been loading all my routes and waypoints. I knew I had issues with some of them and have already started resorting.

BagiMT

Naturalist
Make sure the maps you buy for the Garmin are routeable. Some of the topo maps are (or at least in the past were) not routeable. There are also Open Street Map based maps available in Garmin format that are free.

This might be helpful if you are on a Mac.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

smritte

Make sure the maps you buy for the Garmin are routeable. Some of the topo maps are (or at least in the past were) not routeable. There are also Open Street Map based maps available in Garmin format that are free

Thank you for that.
When I ran basecamp before I had the topo maps installed. Back then, the price was $99. Funny the price didn't change after five or six years. Still, in the back of my mind, something was wrong when I reinstalled it after I replaced my computer. I vaguely remember being pissed because it needed to see my Garmin GPS to complete the install and I had to repurchase the topo again and it didn't work.

I'm going to give those a try also. Worst case is I have to remove them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles