I may have to switch from Ford 6.2 to Ram 6.4 :'(

Bama67

But it's not what you think...

I love my 2018 Ford 6.2
It is a crew cab Long bed 4x4 and is excellent all the way around. I average 16 mpg, and have plenty of power. It has been stone reliable and worked hard.
But....

I just bought some property in Northern Idaho where we will be moving, it has a switchback driveway into the property and it is a living hell getting in and out of there with my Ford, the turning circle absolutely sucks.

I looked it up and it's something like 59 feet

Then, my father in law came by in his newer Ram Crew Cab short bed and getting in the drive is a total non-event the Ram turns SO much tighter.

I looked it up and it's around 15 feet smaller turning circle. That is huge!

I don't want to trade to Ram because I hear so much about the Hemis eating camshafts. Is this still a problem?
I'd rather avoid diesel if possible, I tow alot bit not super heavy.

I assume there is nothing that can be done to help my Ford turn better?

The short bed Ford Crew cab is only a couple feet better or I would absolutely just get a new 7.3 Tremor.

What do?

85_Ranger4x4

Make sure whoever you are comparing them is measuring it the same way. Some measure curb to curb as in the the amount of space you can turn inside of and others measure how how tight you can turn around something, like if you was turning around a building.

Kind of a ID vs OD thing.

A quick search shows the Ram 2500 turning maybe 3' tighter than a 250.

Last edited:
I don't know the specs but I have had a similar experience comparing my 2018 Ram Power Wagon and my FIL's 2020 F250, both crew cab and standard box lengths. My truck's turning radius is meaningfully tighter.

Halligan

Adventurer
Some trucks eat camshafts. The majority don't. How long do you normally keep a vehicle? If you buying new you can purchase an extended warranty from Mopar for up to I think 7 years which will add piece of mind in the event it does eat a cam. I would buy the longest extended warranty I could regardless, only due to how complex modern vehicles have become. Overall the Ram's are a really nice truck and you will enjoy it just as much as the Ford.

Knock on wood my 2015 is still on the original camshaft at 56,000 miles. I change my oil every 5,000 with Penzoil Ultra Platinum and either a Napa Gold or Mobi 1 filter.

85_Ranger4x4

Some trucks eat camshafts. The majority don't. How long do you normally keep a vehicle? If you buying new you can purchase an extended warranty from Mopar for up to I think 7 years which will add piece of mind in the event it does eat a cam. I would buy the longest extended warranty I could regardless, only due to how complex modern vehicles have become. Overall the Ram's are a really nice truck and you will enjoy it just as much as the Ford.

Knock on wood my 2015 is still on the original camshaft at 56,000 miles. I change my oil every 5,000 with Penzoil Ultra Platinum and either a Napa Gold or Mobi 1 filter.

Is 56k doing good for an original cam?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
No. A cam should last the life of the long block.

I'd just do a three point turn. Or go in wider and cut harder. Quit being lazy. I'd go diesel if you switch to Ram. But this IS officially the stupidest reason I've ever heard of. My Ram turns much wider than my Ford. But the Ram is DRW. Maybe that's the difference. Wheelbase seems similar.

Or add another locking diff and Baja straight across the switchback.

85_Ranger4x4

Not worthy of a trophy. Just saying my truck is 5 years old and still has the original cam at 56,000 miles. Maybe it will go to the crusher with the factory cam, maybe it won't. Maybe I'll live to 100, maybe I'll drop dead tomorrow.

Just trying to get a feel for the cam issue mentioned earlier. I didn't know if yours was on borrowed time or where it was at.

5 years old and 56k miles is still pretty young to me.

Halligan

Adventurer
No. A cam should last the life of the long block.

I'd just do a three point turn. Or go in wider and cut harder. Quit being lazy. I'd go diesel if you switch to Ram. But this IS officially the stupidest reason I've ever heard of. My Ram turns much wider than my Ford. But the Ram is DRW. Maybe that's the difference. Wheelbase seems similar.

Or add another locking diff and Baja straight across the switchback.

And this Is officially the stupidest reply to a reasonable question I've ever heard of.

The OP asked if 6.4 Hemi's still have an appetite for camshafts or not which I don't see being a stupid question.

As for his reason to trade maybe he doesn't want to do a 3 point turn during a snowstorm. Maybe he doesn't want his wife or kid's to do a 3 point turn during a snowstorm if they're driving his truck. Those hypothetical scenarios are not stupid either.

Considering a Cummins is not a bad idea to avoid potential 6.4 camshaft issue's but a diesel presents with it's own set of issues as well depending on how it's driven.

Halligan

Adventurer
Just trying to get a feel for the cam issue mentioned earlier. I didn't know if yours was on borrowed time or where it was at.

5 years old and 56k miles is still pretty young to me.

Gotcha. It's not on borrowed time that I'm aware of. There's much discussion across many forums on some 5.7 and 6.4 Hemi's eating cams. My point is not every truck will eat a cam but it's always a possibilty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles