I may have to switch from Ford 6.2 to Ram 6.4 :'(

85_Ranger4x4

So I had done some research on the Hemi camshaft issue and one guy finally figured out the how/why they do them and it made sense in the explanation. Mopar did not build the block to allow oil to drip down onto the cam from the upper part of the block. GM and likely Ford (I am not a Ford person) have an oiling system that helps keep the camshaft lubed, especially at idle. It seem the Hemi does not and long idle times tends to starve the camshaft of oil, leading to failures.

Interesting watch

Most Fords in the last 20+ years are OHC.

Explorerinil

Observer
Most people trade trucks for no reason what's so ever, they just want a different truck.
I feel my reason is pretty valid.
Hey I’m with you, I get bored with stuff and trade it in, life is short enjoy it. I have owned a ton of vehIckes over the years, only one I regret selling is my wife’s 03 rubicon, I miss that badly.

i say ditch the ford, get a ram and see how you like it.

jonathon

Vast majority of Hemi powered vehicles never need a cam. My personal experience with the Hemi platform and late model Dodge and Ram vehicles has been really good. My work has a fleet of Hemi powered vehicles, very few issues. I ended up buying a Ram with the 6.4 Hemi in part because of my generally positive experience with the platform. I have zero concerns about it wiping a cam.

That said I would not trade a truck in for another just because of turning radius. Ford builds great trucks, unlike their cars, and the 6.2 is an awesome engine. The Ford has has a more spacious cab and is overall longer.

Explorerinil

Observer
Vast majority of Hemi powered vehicles never need a cam. My personal experience with the Hemi platform and late model Dodge and Ram vehicles has been really good. My work has a fleet of Hemi powered vehicles, very few issues. I ended up buying a Ram with the 6.4 Hemi in part because of my generally positive experience with the platform. I have zero concerns about it wiping a cam.

That said I would not trade a truck in for another just because of turning radius. Ford builds great trucks, unlike their cars, and the 6.2 is an awesome engine. The Ford has has a more spacious cab and is overall longer.
I’ve read about a couple failures on a few forums, but I’ve never seen one in person, I know a few guys with high mileage 6.4 (200k) and they haven’t had a problem. I’ve talked to a few other pd’s that run hemi powered chargers and they have been problem free unlike the ford explores that are known for internal water pump failure (2500 repair). Everyone in my fleet has had the water pump replaced, some under warrenty most slightly after it’s up and some multiple times.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Is true that if Californians or New Yorkers move to Idaho, the proud Idahoans descend upon them with bats and rifles to have a conversation with them in way so they don’t vote for another Karl Marx in the local office?

vox or buzzfeed was complaining about it...

jonathon

I’ve read about a couple failures on a few forums, but I’ve never seen one in person, I know a few guys with high mileage 6.4 (200k) and they haven’t had a problem. I’ve talked to a few other pd’s that run hemi powered chargers and they have been problem free unlike the ford explores that are known for internal water pump failure (2500 repair). Everyone in my fleet has had the water pump replaced, some under warrenty most slightly after it’s up and some multiple times.

A friend of mine is a mechanic at a local dealer and he’s never opened up a 6.4.

I’m not sure how the newer platform is but the previous Explorers were awful. In the dealer all the time and flat worn out at 50k. After warranty every repair was over a grand easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles