I keep watching this Montero video

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
it was mostly in the front that I was seeing the difference. You're rig was doing wheelies, and the Green 1994 was tiptoeing through. There was a little bit of difference in the skinny pedal to account for some of that, but generally, I was pretty impressed with the Green one's level stance despite the terrain. My rig does wheelies just pulling in and out of my driveway :)

Our front's are identical as far as the hard parts go (stock arms and bumpstops) he has polyurethane bushings (mine are in the mail)

I had to get a run at everything that day, doing wheelies all day. The spot I got all tippy on was a lack of front traction deal, I slid off the line and into the rut where PA_JERO just walked over. The video is a very good example of not having proper gearing, I always tell everyone get the transfer case gears to go with those new tires. I think transfer case gearing is more important than a front locker or bigger tires. As you can see from the video I lack both of those things, I sold the 3.15:1 T-case and Detroit locker and have an ARB air locker and an even lower transfer case (looking like 4:1).

Even Mark's 2.72 gearset for the Montero is a worthwhile investment and plenty for 33" tires, it will make a world of difference. 3.15's were nice but 4:1 or better is really nice.

lordtrunks

camp loser
Anyway gears winch tires sliders lockers not in that order but all together make the real deal wheeling is an adventure and if you've never had an adventure you've never been wheeling just locked in 4wd. BOOOM! JUST DROPPED THAT ON YOUR DOMES!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Anyway gears winch tires sliders lockers... make the real deal wheeling is an adventure

My Jeep had all that. Man do I miss it.
[video]https://videos.smugmug.com/Destinations/Deserts/MJR-Bullfrog/i-m4FPS3L/0/SMIL/m4FPS3L.smil/master.m3u8[/video]

FullMonte

Adventurer
Anyway gears winch tires sliders lockers not in that order but all together make the real deal wheeling is an adventure and if you've never had an adventure you've never been wheeling just locked in 4wd. BOOOM! JUST DROPPED THAT ON YOUR DOMES!
DAMN Lord don't hurt em!! Haha! Hey guys any winter trips planned? Oops did I just derail the thread? Ok let me get back on...is there 4:1 transfer case gears for the Gen 3? I was just about to pull the trigger on the 3:15s at Marks4wd..

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

PA_JERO

Adventurer
You'll be happy with 3:15s rain. Your first gear is already pretty low. Transfer case gears will improve your low range tremendously.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Get the 3.15's, you'll have a better overall ratio than we can get with 4:1 because of your lower 1st gear (3.7:1 vs the gen 2 2.8:1) it'll make wheeling much more enjoyable and easier on your truck.

Last edited:

SD_Montero

Observer
First part of this video I was like I could do that, then it got pretty gnarly. Don't think my stock LS would make it in one piece 😁

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles