I have Mercedes chassis motor homes questions

Paddy

Adventurer
Hi, sold my sprinter a while back, foolishly. But, I’m looking into buying a modern sprinter RV, like a real coach built one and use it for me and my friend so we can go on adventures. So, ideally the floor plans that we’d be able to find would maximize space based on the parameters that two dudes would require. Mainly that we have decent size bed for one person at each end of the rig, and that it has a nice trunk for adventure gear and stuff. This type of layout is very common in Europe but I’m having a DARN time finding anything like this in USA. So, my questions pertain to that.

Then, there’s the question of SLIDES. I don’t understand why they are installing these “slides” on this type of vehicle. They create floor space which is the last thing I’m concerned with. “Oh cool the dinette is now there, which it was here a second ago”. Why. SOMEONE said it’s great when there’s a storm and you need floor space for unexpected guests, but that’s not enough for me to want to pay for the cost, weight, and complexity that they don’t seem to warrant. If they made something useful I’d be into it. Like counter space or a bed where there isn’t one. But, the slides that are installed in master bed are also dumb, makes it harder to take quick naps or nap while underway. SO, does anyone have input on why slides are desirable? And does anyone know of a floor plan that doesn’t have the slides, has a trunk in back for gear under the master bed, and has a sleeping pod above the cab.

This is the van we had last few weeks in Iceland. Great design, no slides, simple.

Please help direct me to any models you know of either new or slightly older!

Attachments

• DE7017B5-1FFA-4BF8-A9A2-3D9A00B73784.jpeg
    DE7017B5-1FFA-4BF8-A9A2-3D9A00B73784.jpeg
    599.6 KB · Views: 30

Paddy

Adventurer
Winnebago view 24J is the closest I’ve found so far, but it lacks the large trunk in back under the beds that we need.

D

Deleted member 9101

Well... I happen to like being able to share the space with someone and not constantly bumping into each other.

Also, they are not complexed at all. I have had three travel trailers with them and never had an issue.

Paddy

Adventurer
But they add weight. And they don’t exist in Europe and people seem to get on fine without them. I just don’t need one more thing to do while camping. We rarely stay longer than a night in one space

D

Deleted member 9101

But they add weight. And they don’t exist in Europe and people seem to get on fine without them. I just don’t need one more thing to do while camping. We rarely stay longer than a night in one space

Everything adds weight. At the end of the day the weight is not a big deal... the RV is already heavy. To use them you press a button... they are not an inconvenience at all.

As for Eurpoe... I really don't care what they have.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
[QUOTE="Paddy, post: 2528934, member: 106471" they don’t exist in Europe and people seem to get on fine without them. [/QUOTE]

They don't know any better however they are beginning to find out.

Here is a new idea from Belgium.

How about this in the back of your 4WD Sprinter?

https://www.iocamper.com/home

Last edited:

Paddy

Adventurer
Gah, no. Not for us and how we adventure. We are here, and there and everywhere all at once. That looks geared for people who show up and spend all summer in one spot.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I understand your troubles. I have not seen anything in the US market that meets your needs. Most are designed around retirees that are not active in the way you describe. Most sprinter RVs are pretty damn near overweight. Some only have 400lbs of payload off the showroom floor! Slide outs just make it worse. They can leak, break, etc. If you drive some dirt/gravel, or rough roads they can also be a liability.

My suggestion is to find an RV that meets your needs as closely as possible. Then modify the interior layout to get the rest. Adding a fold out bed, raising an existing one, etc is not very difficult. The vast majority of the plumbing and wiring should (hopefully) already be done.

From my exeperience most of these rigs need significant systems mods to make them usable for people that don't want to stay in RV parks all the time, and want to be comfortable outside of ideal temps. So this would be a good time to add solar, insulation, and improve the usually poorly designed cabinetry.

If possible I would try too get a T1N based unit, or a NCV3 with the 4cylinder and 7 speed trans combo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles