I have gone to the dark side

tacollie

Glamper
I recently said good by to my 02 Taco and have gone to an 05 Taco! This is a big adjustment for many reasons and why I felt I have gone to the dark side. My 02 truck was built and the 05 is stock. I have made the jump to an auto tranny(I am not crazy about this). I always said the 02 was the biggest truck I wanted. So why did I buy an 05? I got a sweet deal from a family friend on a truck with a flippac, dual battery, and 20 Gallon water tank. With the exception of a fridge this truck has all the expo equipment done already, at least for my needs. Plus my fj55 will be more of a trail toy for me. I also went from a truck with 157,000 miles to one with 47,000 miles.

My first mod was to put some 02 Tacoma wheels(4.5" bs) with some 255/85r16 BFG muds in place of the stock wheels. This was actually easier than puting them on my 02 truck. They rub, but just barely on some plastic at the top of the wheel well when fully compressed. I did remove the mud flaps.

I did want to do a quick comparison between the two trucks for some people since there have not been many. I am doing this based on both trucks in stock form for now. When the new one is lifted, locked and geared I will compare them built. The older trucks are more nimble on the trails, however the new one has never stopped me from going where I want to. I think good skids are a must because of the lack of ground clearance on the newer trucks. The truck is balanced increadibly well. This is the biggest advantage in my opinion. The newer truck is not as big as it seems, although it is noticably bigger. So far I would choose the newer one for an expo truck because of its, space power, and on road characteristics. I also think the new one would be a great SAC candidate. The older trucks are better in tight harder trails, I give them the vote for a rock rig. Just my 2 cents.

Futures mods in this order:
Armorology sliders(in the works)
OME lift(in the works)
4.88's and arb locker(probably with my christmas bonus)
Fridge
Bumpers if I get the time next winter(the fj55 is my priority so the taco may not get a whole lot of attention)

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
AWESOME!!! We need more pics!

Your mod list looks perfect. I agree with putting bumpers at the bottom of the list. I'm still not sold on the benefits of heavy aftermarket bumpers. I decided awhile back to leave my stock bumpers in place until I damage them on the trail. My truck takes me to every camping spot I care to go and the bumpers are still intact. Lift and sliders are "Must Haves" IMO.

243152458_Mftf6-S.jpg

tacollie

Glamper
Thanks everybody. The flippac is like having a tree house on top of my truck. They are very well built. I will try to get some more pics soon.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Congrats tacollie! Your truck is a thing of beauty (but then I might be biased.....:wings: ) I agree with your assessment of the new gen Tacomas - while bigger than their predecessors, these trucks will go anywhere you point them off the pavement, and give a bit of room and refinement that makes it better for long trips behind the wheel.

Hope to see you out there on the dirt this year!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Kermit said:
Same reason here, hose off the blood and keep on going.
It's a big plus in my mind that I might still be around to have the remainder of the poor elk or deer that might end up on my bumper dressed for steaks. So what if I get some dents in my 17 year old junk, as long as I don't end up face-to-face with Bullwinkle.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
I'm at the other end (literally). Given what I know now, I'd say rear end clearance and protection are a must for these trucks - more important than a lift.

The condition of my rear bumper, and the masking tape holding in my tail light are pretty strong evidence.
IMG_3274.jpg

tacollie

Glamper
I know all about the benefits of a good bumper. I would have gone to an 05 taco in 05 had I not had an ARB on my 02 taco. $7700(insurance money) and 4 weeks later I got my truck back. I hit a 650lb elk doing 60mph. The bumper saved the truck. I just want to put the money else where. And as far as doing it myself I also want to put my time elsewhere. This is when my post would end and I would leave you with a picture of my fj55, but I realized I am at work and don't have any pictures. I think I will try and build some bumpers next winter.

Jacket-I know how you feel, I already bent my 2" reciever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste