I have caught the bug...

Good call on the roof rack - my first thought was that the crossbars might be a bit close to the roof. And the interior progress looks great, keep it coming!

Actually a fair amount done just haven't updated here. She was away at what I thought was a pretty reputable shop that specialized in old 4x4s. Five weeks later I went down and picked it up. Drum brakes and a new sending unit was all they got done. Needless to say, I am working more and more on her myself these days.

Rear axle shafts have been bent slightly since I got her and has caused a vibration at roughly 55. Wanted that shop to replace them but they "had trouble finding them". Once I got her back I ordered up a set from Dutchman and had a good shop replace them as well as go through the front axle. Replaced u joints in those shafts but everything else looked good.

Also developed an issue with the drums that were replaced from first shop. Were way too tight and causing lots of heat to the point you could smell them after a few miles. Opened them up and found all the original hardware was re-used. Now why you would not spend the $10 to replace the probably 40 year old internals is beyond me. But the biggest "shock" to me is finding that wheel cylinder was basically shot, most likely causing the issue. Once again, why they did not go ahead and replace those as well makes me believe they just rushed the job.

e312a43d3904253043256d2b534d9045.jpg

OK. End of my rant. On to more fun things.

Settled on rhino rack for my legs and crossbars for the roof rack. They seem to be the perfect height for our rigs (in between the Thule hi mount and standard height). Not to mention the excellent customer service when I called them. Very helpful in making sure I was getting the right product, especially since they offer these legs with different clamps. And of course my unique vehicle application. The head of customer service was out on vacation on a Friday and I was directed to send the team an email with my questions and he would get back to me. Head of customer service called me 30 minutes later with answers, on his day off. Highly recommend rhino rack. So here is how she sits now:

ebaca768064bdfc7ddbed30091b1cbb2.jpg
6873950ecc7db10bf377e07bdb692d1b.jpg
6bb99bfc9341d275b87d9a907612a0e6.jpg

Next, I finally got my a/c sorted. Wound up just replacing all the hoses, dryer and installing a new sanden compressor and charging it with 134a. Had my radiator shop test the original condensor and evaporator cores as well. Both checked out. I still retained the original box inside the cab for that OE look. Nice cold air now for our georgia summers.

Currently I have just wired up a tailgate relay panel for the back window. Hopefully I will get in installed over the next couple days and eliminate all the gremlims of the FSJ rear electronic tailgate window. Followed Rick Serehill's old diagram. My window currently works off the dash switch but as all FSJ owners know, it will stop working just when you need it to work. Want to avoid that.

And finally the best news of this post. Finally got my RTT. Decided to go with the Kukenam 3 Ruggedized from Tepui. Of course some of the decision was based on the fact it matches the Jeep perfectly, but plenty of other added benefits as well. After reading tons of reviews it seems that it really holds up and some of the added items it has, I would have probably wound up investing in down the road anyway. Waited until the REI member sale and got it for 20% off, points on an REI credit card, and shipped free to the store. But it is supposed to be my Christmas present, so I don't know if the significant other will let me have it before Christmas, lol. But I will update with pics when I do.

Sorry for the long post. Been a while. Thanks for asking about her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Very nice! That is a ton of progress!

How bad was it to make the tailgate harness? I am wiring up Serehill's headlight harness right now, and the tailgate harness is next... I'm a little nervous to do that because the PO put in one of the manual crank mechanisms, but he thankfully included the old motor and arms when I bought it. Are you going to use a new in-tailgate switch like the one from BJ's?

As always, your Chief looks amazing!

borison

Adventurer
The Rhino rack looks pretty good on there, clean. I think the Rhinos look better than the Thule, especially in this application.

The harness is really not hard to make yourself as long as you have all the materials. I ordered up all the parts from Dell city. I may convert the tailgate switch but I don't know if I will use the kit from BJs. I will get some pictures up soon along with comments about the install.

JPet3127

Check out the CVT hard shell. It's a little bit more expensive, but it's aerodynamic and setup is only about two minutes. But I'm the same way you are, I hammock camped for years and once I finally nutted up a bought a rtt, it was worth it. One of the biggest things, the girl friend is happy and that's what matters most. At least if you want to enjoy your time in the woods. Hahah

Check out the CVT hard shell. It's a little bit more expensive, but it's aerodynamic and setup is only about two minutes. But I'm the same way you are, I hammock camped for years and once I finally nutted up a bought a rtt, it was worth it. One of the biggest things, the girl friend is happy and that's what matters most. At least if you want to enjoy your time in the woods. Hahah

Wound up getting the Kukenam 3 from tepui. Installing it after Christmas probably. But need to do some research and find a good way to take it on and off as I may not run it all the time.

Couple pics of it closed up in case anyone cares about how it is mounted.
27f62f2bcb03f14d1cd30452869ea686.jpg
ab03d3c27a2d84cba53826e55ea4adee.jpg

Also, I fashioned up my own system to hoist it off the jeep and up to the ceiling. A couple 2x4s lag bolted to the ceiling joists with eye bolts on the ends. A couple more 2x4s with eye bolts on the ends to go underneath. Plan on attaching a ratchet strap at each corner and lifting it off a few inches for clearance. Just will help with around town driving and in case I want to use the roof rack for other things in the meantime. It's over 7 feet tall easily with the tent installed. No parking garages, lol.
5505a0926b593f26dac34cc5c47a3104.jpg

bea546c49e6d3187716a9116e3113a98.jpg

Sorry it was dark when I got done last night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior