I have an Express AWD 2010 with a 5.3 Vortex and I want to get more power!!! How???

Jet-Unit

Hi, I've just bought a Chevrolet Express AWD 2010 with a 5.3 vortex in it. Someone know what can we make as a modification to get more power?? Sometime little thing make big difference. Thanks!!!

JDZ

Me too! Seems like the my 2004 awd with 5.3L is a complete dog compared to my old 2003 two wheel drive with same 5.3L. I am interested to see what others have done if anything to get more power. Thinking about one of those programmers.

1stDeuce

Explorer
6.0L cam wakes the 5.3 up. Not really "something little" though, because of the work to change it. If there was much "little" stuff you could do, your van probably would have come that way. Are you hauling around too much crap? Take some out! That's where cheap and easy end. Intakes aren't worth much, exhaust isn't either... Programmers can help some, but not a lot. Axle gears is a good suggestion, but neither small, easy, or cheap.

One of my friends has a 5.3L AWD van that he's using for a HVAC business and he loves it... Says it "halls balls". ?? I wonder what the difference is. (His is a 2010 IIRC)
Good luck!
C

LR Max

Local Oaf
Intake and Exhaust. Get a LS1 intake manifold. Brings all kinds of win.

X2 on the cam. Lastly, get the ECU tuned.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
4.30-4.56 gears ain't too bad. Compared to swapping cam(s). Also keep in mind that white service vehicles get a lame ECM program. Often it's tuned weak on the bottom to prevent field techs from pounding on the drivetrain at low speeds. Something gears will help overcome. But a custom tune helps a ton. Too bad that a custom tune is serious money these days. Programmer $$, custom tune $$$, dyno time $$$.

LR Max

Local Oaf
4.30-4.56 gears ain't too bad. Compared to swapping cam(s). Also keep in mind that white service vehicles get a lame ECM program. Often it's tuned weak on the bottom to prevent field techs from pounding on the drivetrain at low speeds. Something gears will help overcome. But a custom tune helps a ton. Too bad that a custom tune is serious money these days. Programmer $$, custom tune $$$, dyno time $$$.

As you mentioned, the proper way to tune is to get it on a dyno and play with it. However there are a lot of shops have "out of the box" tunes. I'm sure there is a shop nearby that has had a bunch of customers come in, wanting something a little more, but not over the top for their 5.3. Having this on tap is quick and easy money. Seen it at a few shops.

This would be a great starting point. Also check and make sure it has the same injectors as the truck 5.3 engines. If not, I bet that'll help a lot (injectors with 100k on them probably aren't at their peak anyway).

Jet-Unit

Thanks for the info. I dont want to make drag race with it but just to find some little thing who give more HP. I have a Mercury Grand Marquis and I had the chance to find a guy who knew everything about this car and he told me a few thing who give more HP without spending a lot of money. Sometime the company who build the car do stuff who limit the performance and only by changing those stuff you gain the power that the motor is suppose have and it will be more efficient. That's was my main question but for sure, I will put a programmer and a dual exhaust, after we will see!!!

Someone tried the BoulderOffroad 6" kit for the Chevrolet Express AWD??? This kit is 4500$ and I want to know if it worth this money!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles