I have a bunch of Tesla batteries. Should I use them???

darkostoj

Hey guys.

Have a 2017 F350 Dually with a Cirrus 820 slide in camper.

I'm in the process of building a flat bed and want to integrate either a generator or battery power.

Here are my two ideas.

1. Diesel Generator
Truck has a 55 gallon Titan fuel tank and I can use an Onan RVQD3200 off the truck fuel tank. Hard mount this to the front of the flat bed in a sound enclosure box.

This is simple and has a lot of reliable power for as long as there is fuel in the tank. Downsides is they are expensive (6k) and noisy. I hate being the guy that starts up a generator at a small campsite so I can be spoiled with my A/C

2. Tesla battery setup
I own a salvage yard and have hundreds of tesla battery modules. I like the idea of setting something up where the truck has a heavy duty 2nd alternator that specifically charges the battery packs.

My thought is if I can have enough batteries to run the A/C for say 12 hours and have the truck run to recharge for the next night that should be enough in a worst case scenario.

I am not sure what inverter/charger setup I would need or how many battery modules. Something that could power the 12v system & 120v system of the camper at the same time...then also take say 24v from an alternator for charging.

Anybody have an idea of how much kwh I need? One battery module has ~5kwh

Thoughts???

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
My immediate reaction is that without the right charging equipment, monitoring equipment, and software you are just pre-loading your eventual roadside fire, but your mileage might vary.

Aren’t they worth quite a bit on the secondary market? I seem to recall an article about repurposing electric car packs for stationary power or some such use.

darkostoj

We sell them, but we have so many of them...nobody will notice if I repurpose a handful... Trying to figure out how many I need, then hopefully I can find some type of bms that can safely manage & charge the modules.

ExpoMike

I would HIGHLY recommend you check out this forum regarding doing DIY batteries. So much good info about how, BMS's, pitfalls, etc. I ended up building my own batteries from ThunderSky cells with an Overkill Solar BMS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior