I hate Van shopping....

DannyL

I'm in the market for a vehicle that can tow 7500 lbs and convert to "camper".

No frills, bed, ARB fridge, water supply, porta potty. We cook out side and always have even with our motorhome.

Today I went to see a van that was from our provincial Hydro Co's fleet. Serviced and inspected by the Gov every 6 months.

It's a 2003 Express 3500 RWD with 114000km (70000 miles) certified on it and has full aluminium cabinetry in it.

It's a hightop and to my surprise it's double wall and insulated and as far as I can see the van walls are done as well.

It even has a aftermarket rear heater, although it's noisy.

Powered by a 6.0L 300hp/360tq engine. Great for towing.....

I don't need 4x4 since I'll either be towing trailer+4x4 or flat towing my Samurai.

The only nagative I really found was the sliding door. Not a fan.

I looked at a couple of sites for the high tops (roof only) and once delivered in Canadian funds I'm looking at $5K :Wow1:

They are asking $6500 ($4800usd) for the van. Test drove and rides great but needs brake work that they are going to do.

I figure I could reuse some of the cabinets in a different format and sell the balance off. I could see an elevated bed with cabinets (cut down) below....

So what do ya'll think of the white beast? worth it?

Thx
Danny

Attachments

• Express_3.JPG
    Express_3.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 44
  • Express_1.JPG
    Express_1.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Express_2.JPG
    Express_2.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 45

macexpress

Observer
I think for what your getting its a fair price. The hightop looks nice, low miles and sounds like it was maintained well. All a big plus. If it's in good condition body wise go for it

Johny5

Adventurer
If it was local to me i would buy it . I prefer the sliding door too . You can get into the side door if somone is parked next to you .

My van has 450 km and slider works great . Back barn doors stick

BobbyJones

Observer
If you hate van shopping now, it'll just get worse if you let that one get by you.

Seems to check all of your boxes and a decent price if all is solid.

SirMrManGuy

Observer
If the interior is done that's a huge plus. I'm doing mine right now and it's harder than it looks... Lots of little curves to work around.

I had a bunch of good potential vans get sold before i got there, move fast if you like it.

DannyL

If the interior is done that's a huge plus. I'm doing mine right now and it's harder than it looks... Lots of little curves to work around.

I had a bunch of good potential vans get sold before i got there, move fast if you like it.

I've adopted a funny philosophy about buying things over the years.

I give myself a timeline and if the "thing" is still available then it's ment to be.
I never quick myself for having made a hasty decision like I used to.

I've bought and sold ALOT of cars/trucks/motorcycles over the years and been burned because "|I wanted it"....

I've become wiser in my old age.......:wings: (ok that statement is somewhat debatable!)

macexpress

Observer
The 6.0 is GM's bigger gas motor. One step above the 5.3 they put in the awd models. Their diesel motor is a 6.6

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
If it was a Duramax diesel I would be screaming buy it buy it buy it because my friend bought one about two years ago and is a darn rocketship with exhaust intake and chip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior