I hate sleeping bags! Bed rolls?

Nvydvr

Thanks all for the suggestions and advise. All good ideas.

Just to clarify any confusion, I have a massive Teton sports bag which I tried hoping to stop it twisting when rolling around (I roll a lot in my sleep) but still have issues. I was thinking a bed roll with a canvas base would be stiffer allowing a bit of body movement without the bag/roll moving too.

The Nemo system looks interesting. I will definitely watch a few reviews on that. Also will look into a down quilt suggestions.

Another reason for the question is because I sleep at work when on shift, something I can quickly roll out (on a regular bed matress) and pack away without having to make a full bed would be handy.

Cheers from Australia.

Nvydvr

Just another thought...

Oztent make a great quality stretcher that is slightly padded. This plus a down quilt may be the ticket but I will see how I go.

Cheers.

GeoNomad

My choice has always been a king size duvet (comforter).

For sleeping, I use it somewhat like a sleeping bag, with half under and half over.

Before taking my clothes off, I lie on top of it for a while and that acts like a mattress warmer to make it ready for me.

In the morning I stuff it into a stuff sack. No need to roll carefully or do anything else, just keep grabbing bits and stuffing until it is all gone. It is amazing how small a down comforter can stuff like that.

Laundry is a matter of taking the cover off and washing it, then putting it back on.

This has worked for me for over 100,000 miles in 4 different campers. YMMV.

And they are reasonably priced almost everywhere if you shop around with lots of choice for thickness/stuffing/warmth.

Nvydvr

Sorry its just a big single one not a double, but when two joined together its bigger than our home king bed!

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
My choice has always been a king size duvet (comforter).

For sleeping, I use it somewhat like a sleeping bag, with half under and half over.

Before taking my clothes off, I lie on top of it for a while and that acts like a mattress warmer to make it ready for me.

In the morning I stuff it into a stuff sack. No need to roll carefully or do anything else, just keep grabbing bits and stuffing until it is all gone. It is amazing how small a down comforter can stuff like that.

Laundry is a matter of taking the cover off and washing it, then putting it back on.

This has worked for me for over 100,000 miles in 4 different campers. YMMV.

And they are reasonably priced almost everywhere if you shop around with lots of choice for thickness/stuffing/warmth.

That what I use as well. With a couple of wool army blankets on top and a stocking hat it's good to below freezing. The most important thing is the sleep surface. If you don't need to roll around due to pressure points every hour you sleep warm and tight.
Before I got what is basically a bed I'd put down a foam pad and then a double Thermorest folded in two. Three layers is what it takes if your using backpack style pads. A handful of nuts or other slow burning food right before bed also keeps you warm at night.

chet6.7

Explorer
Sorry its just a big single one not a double, but when two joined together its bigger than our home king bed!
Cool,I just bought the double version so that was on my mind.It is so big it is unwieldy,but it serves it's purpose.

Have you considered a "swag?" Many sizes and materials with different ratings. Most come with a built in pad and you can find doubles if you are really keen on stretching out or snuggling with a partner. Unroll it to air out, add your sheets, blankets, and pillow. Once done roll it back up and toss it in or on the vehicle. "Easy peasy" as my seven year old would say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94