I hate sleeping bags! Bed rolls?

Nvydvr

Did I say I HATE sleeping bags! Never get a good nights sleep and always wake up during the night twisted in knots.
Looking for alternatives other than sleeping bags or full sheets and doonah setups.
It needs to be...
a) super quick setup and packup
b) mild to warm weather use 5+ deg C
c) can just throw on stretchers or mattress if required
It doesn’t have to be waterproof or have padding as it will be in a tent or car and will be used with separate self inflated mattress.
Came across this which is heading down the right path.

https://www.duluthpack.com/other/camp-hike/bedrolls/bedroll-campers-roll.html

Thinking something like this with a wool blanket inside that rolls up smallish. Think a swag with no foam inside and running blankets instead of sleeping bags.

Anyone tried bedrolls or made something similar???

perterra

Adventurer
Did I say I HATE sleeping bags! Never get a good nights sleep and always wake up during the night twisted in knots.
Looking for alternatives other than sleeping bags or full sheets and doonah setups.
It needs to be...
a) super quick setup and packup
b) mild to warm weather use 5+ deg C
c) can just throw on stretchers or mattress if required
It doesn’t have to be waterproof or have padding as it will be in a tent or car and will be used with separate self inflated mattress.
Came across this which is heading down the right path.

https://www.duluthpack.com/other/camp-hike/bedrolls/bedroll-campers-roll.html

Thinking something like this with a wool blanket inside that rolls up smallish. Think a swag with no foam inside and running blankets instead of sleeping bags.

Anyone tried bedrolls or made something similar???

They work fine though not sure what is gained over a large rectangular sleeping bag. If you get off into cold weather, they do not roll very compact with 4 or 5 blankets inside.

I tried a down quilt, worked well but for me no better than sleeping bag

SoCal Tom

Explorer
I use a comforter in my tear drop. If it’s going to be below freezing, I unzip a sleeping bag like a second comforter. It seems like a rectangular sleeping bag could pack small, then be unzipped to give you what you are after.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Freebird

Adventurer
Re:Superbag.
Buy a size bigger than the bed/mattress you sleep on would be my advice.
We had a queen size bag on a queen size mattress that was TOO confining with both of us sleeping in it. (It becomes "rounder" when occupied, so it no longer reaches near the side edges of the mattress.)
Bought a king size bag for the queen mattress. Great sleeping. Plenty of room. Making the oversize bag look nice/neat when made up is the challenge..... (It doesn't. Who cares if it sleeps good? Lol)

CSG

Explorer
I hate mummy bags and can't sleep in them but in warmer weather, I use my old Marmot (Made in USA) semi-rectangular bag, usually zipped open like a comforter. But I camp more often on cold weather (and almost always in my camping van with a near full size bead when the sofa is pulled forward. I tried a few things but an XL Teton 0 degree rated rectangular bag that's 39x80, flannel lined, really does well in sub-freezing weather, and was something like $60-70 at Sportsman's is very easy to sleep and roll around in. Might be worth a try before moving to another system. And, if you want something even bigger, look at the double size bags, some are about the same size as a queen mattress.

Lucky j

Explorer
I am confused here.

If you hate sleeping bags, cause you get all tangle and twisted inside in the middle of the night, how and other type of bag with loose blanket inside can be better at keeping you from waking up in the middle of the night with all blankets where the are supposed to be? In my book, it will just get worst.

My own opinion, get a bigger sleeping bag that as nylon lineing inside and get a liner that you will sleep in. Or full sleeping clothing, all this should simply slide against ecah other and you should be fine.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

I am confused here.

If you hate sleeping bags, cause you get all tangle and twisted inside in the middle of the night, how and other type of bag with loose blanket inside can be better at keeping you from waking up in the middle of the night with all blankets where the are supposed to be? In my book, it will just get worst.

My own opinion, get a bigger sleeping bag that as nylon lineing inside and get a liner that you will sleep in. Or full sleeping clothing, all this should simply slide against ecah other and you should be fine.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

+1. Maybe a queen size sleeping bag with liner inside, long johns if you need them. Had some unexpected 39 degree weather on beach trip few months ago. Had nylon sleeping bags for 60+ degree weather on top of air mattress. A good blanket on top of sleeping bag was enough.

towee

I used to have the same problem until I got the nemo strato loft. Double zipper flap that acts like a blanket hood that holds the pillow and sleeve that holds a pad best system out there imo. They have lots of bags with the same features.

Lucky j

Explorer
Just a quick comment about air matress is that if they are, well simple air matress w/o iner foam like self inflating, they can be cold as snow to sleep on in cold weather. Reason, air is not a good insolation when it can move. It will disperse cold air from the ground directly to sleeping surface. If you really like tye confort of air, place some king of insulation over it.

I have tried it in the past, and learned from it in winter camping.

Jayhat

The new hoteness in the backpacking (UL and regular backpacking) world is quilts. You use a sleeping pad and then throw the quilt on top. The quilt has a couple straps that clip to the side and go under the pad. When you turn your quilt stays stationary. Saves weight and is more flexible (easy to kick your foot out, leave unclipped, etc). Also laying on compressed down or other insulation doesnt really add any insulation value so it's kind of a waste anyway. Enlightened equipment is about the best manufacturer out there for quilts. I have a 30 degree revelation. They make some other really nice down gear.

https://enlightenedequipment.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94