I Found it in the Woods

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Found this old boy sitting at the base of a pine tree, in the Colorado Rockies, at about 9000 feet and off trail in the forest.....since pull tab beer cans disappeared in the 70's or close to 50 years ago, I suspect some good ole boys from the front range were camping out there and forgot to pickup their empties!

IMG_6540.jpeg

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Found this old boy sitting at the base of a pine tree, in the Colorado Rockies, at about 9000 feet and off trail in the forest.....since pull tab beer cans disappeared in the 70's or close to 50 years ago, I suspect some good ole boys from the front range were camping out there and forgot to pickup their empties!

View attachment 820354

I myself Love to find that kind of history, too much is disappearing every day, that's why I travel backroads and consult my folders of ghost towns and historical places whenever I go somewhere, I want to see and visit it all before scum eliminate it all!

robtbritn

While exploring deep in the mountains up in Idaho I pulled the Jeep off to the side of the trail next to a small stream, walk up the steam a ways and decided some ice cold water splashed on my face would be refreshing. As I was leaning over I spotted something in the water, I reached in to pull it out but discovered in was mostly buried in gravel so stared digging it out. What I found was an old rams horn. It was covered in moss and just looked like another rock in the water, looks like it had been there for a long time!

Attachments

• IMG_2011.jpg
    IMG_2011.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2016.jpg
    IMG_2016.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Junk in the woods.....

We live in the ghost town of Tungsten, Co. The white tents up on the hill in the B/W photo is our land. Every spring I wander our property and usually find a neat piece of old steel that gets added to the "junk" pile. The "junk" pile is mining/milling debris that was once part of the tungsten mining industry and was mitigated in the 50's- 60's.

Except for the brick wall portion, that came from the old Red Crown Tavern/Inn in Kansas City, Mo where Bonnie and Clyde got into a shoot out with my old LE Agency in 1933. The site was cleared for construction around KCI Airport in the 90's so I rescued a piece.

IMG_6546.pngIMG_6541.pngIMG_6547.png

NOPEC

Travel by water in remote areas in most of North America can give you a completely different slice of the non-mechanized history of travel, exploration at the time and above all, the fur trade. The shore and ancient campsites along these historic highways often produce some nice stuff made even more interesting by the ravages of time. Here are a few shots from a paddling trip in the East Arm of Great Slave Lake not too far from the village of LutselK'e in the Northwest Territories of Canada.

Bannock was a main stay of early water travellers, both indigenous and white, with good old Magic brand baking powder as a main ingredient. These old tins seem to last for ever, unlike the new plastic ones that UV to dust in a few years.

P7290172.JPG
P7290173.JPG

Of course with lots of Bannock and cowboy coffee, other considerations, like a John, are usually important...

P7200101.JPG

Of course while you are out nosing around in the northern bush, the odd vistor might pop by to see what you are up to.....

P7230119.JPG

Last edited:

robtbritn

Again in Idaho I stopped at this old cabin, took a walk across a meadow as I could hear the river a few hundred yards away. I walked upstream a ways and found this soaking tub, the black hose went upstream further and was used to fill the tub. Under the tub was dug out for a fire pit, nothing like a hot bath after a long day of hard work!

Attachments

• IMG_2029.jpg
    IMG_2029.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2043.jpg
    IMG_2043.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 32

dierkz

Travel by water in remote areas in most of North America can give you a completely different slice of the non-mechanized history of travel, exploration at the time and above all, the fur trade. The shore and ancient campsites along these historic highways often produce some nice stuff made even more interesting by the ravages of time. Here are a few shots from a paddling trip in the East Arm of Great Slave Lake not too far from the village of LutselK'e in the Northwest Territories of Canada.

Bannock was a main stay of early water travellers, both indigenous and white, with good old baking powder as a main ingredient. These old tins seem to last for ever, unlike the new plastic ones that UV to dust in a few years.

View attachment 820407
View attachment 820408

Of course with lots of Bannock and cowboy coffee, other considerations, like a John, are usually important...

View attachment 820409

Of course while you are out nosing around in the northern bush, the odd vistor might pop by to see what you are up to.....

View attachment 820410
Healthy wildlife there! And that can is so tough

RDK13

Observer
Found this out at Mott Lake on Fort Liberty (Fort Bragg) while hiking around with my dog.

Attachments

• m1 clip.jpg
    m1 clip.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 13

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Reminded me of a news story from years ago about a 132 y/o Winchester found leaning against a tree in Great Basin NP. Found this article about it on line.

Pretty amazing …
do you have a reference that doesn't require a membership to read?

pretty amazing that a tree would not grow in 132 years. think about it.....

dstefan

Best I can do is some screen shots. As far as growth, trees up there don’t grow much or fast. You’ll see its a scrawny cedar type tree. Maybe it was moved, but they didn’t think so. Who knows!
1711495047727.png
1711495087893.png
1711495107697.png

deserteagle56

Adventurer
At the altitudes in Great Basin Park, trees grow very slowly...and live seemingly forever. Some have been found that are nearly 5,000 years old - so 132 years is nothing.https://www.nps.gov/grba/planyourvisit/identifying-bristlecone-pines.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles