Adventurer
After long searching, I think I found the tent that fit my needs (in order):

-easy setup
-attached screen room
-"lifetime warranty"
-excellent customer service

King Pine Dome Tent - Six-Person.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/53083?from=SR&feat=sr

It has very good reviews. The price is reasonable compare to REI Base Camp 6 tent.

Does anyone have this tent? Please give me your personal review. I want to sleep on the decision couple days before I order it. I won't need it until 1st week of August.

Edited:

Just placed order for REI Kingdom 6 Tent. I was about to order King Pine and saw email from REI for 25% off on one of the item. I have been back and forth between REI Kingdom 6 and LLBean King Pine. %25 off + lighter weight (19lbs vs 34 lbs) swayed my decision toward REI.

Last edited:

kjp98TJ

Observer
i just bought the tent last week and used it this past weekend. it wasn't a real "camping" trip, we visited friends that have a camp on a lake, and used the tent for sleeping only.
easy setup: imo was easy. setup by myself. heavy duty poles. 4 for the tent, well marked sleeves, etc. one pole for the rain fly, and one small one for the "lip" on the fly.
i think sleeping 6 is a bit of a reach. we put a queen air bed in for the 2 of us, and we had 3 kids with us, 11, 10 and 8 yrs old. and an 80lb lab. we all fit OK, but i don't see how 6 adults would. but, you have the screen room to stow gear and such. screen room has full fly coverage.
very large doors and windows. good ventilation. very warm and muggy last weekend, and sleeping wasn't unbearable. no "dew" inside the tent either.
built in gear loft. pockets sewn in the whole length of 2 sides of the tent for other stowage.

it's HEAVY. min weight 33lbs......that must be w/o half the poles.

i love LLB stuff and have quite a few things, and many family members also, all with various tents, bags and such with good reviews.

clarkarcher

I don't have that tent, but i do have an LLBean. We have had the tent for about 8yrs. It has held up very well, and kept us dry in very hard driving rain. I think that we may try this tent out also. Since I am from Maine, LLBean is kind of a staple for us. I think they have lost their way a little, I hope their camping stuff has stayed quality.

Superu

Explorer
After long searching, I think I found the tent that fit my needs (in order):

-easy setup
-attached screen room
-"lifetime warranty"
-excellent customer service

King Pine Dome Tent - Six-Person.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/53083?from=SR&feat=sr

It has very good reviews. The price is reasonable compare to REI Base Camp 6 tent.

Does anyone have this tent? Please give me your personal review. I want to sleep on the decision couple days before I order it. I won't need it until 1st week of August.

224331_0_45

One thing you didn't mention is how many people you need to sleep in this tent and if you need extra space for gear, etc.

We have a Eureka Blue Mesa 1610 that's going on its 4th year of use with 2 adults, 3 boys (now 5,8&10) and an 85lb. dog. Great tent, lots of room, easy setup and take down.

Although I am tempted of late to look at a friend's new Coleman 1-minute tent. It's a bit smaller but has near vertical walls which may help make up for the difference. 14 x 10 vs my 16 x 10.

01tundra

Explorer
This is exactly what I've been searching for :sombrero:!

I want to find a tent that's relatively simple to set up, doesn't "have" to have stakes/rope to stand, and has a large enough front "porch" area so I can quit having to lug around my heavy ***** EZ-UP........

There's only two of us with a queen size air mattress and maybe a medium sized dog crate from time to time, so this tent looks like it fits the bill nicely.

It looks like there's plenty of space for two camp chairs, wonder how well the front area shields you from direct sun light and rain?

net4n6

Adventurer
224331_0_45

One thing you didn't mention is how many people you need to sleep in this tent and if you need extra space for gear, etc.

Although I am tempted of late to look at a friend's new Coleman 1-minute tent. It's a bit smaller but has near vertical walls which may help make up for the difference. 14 x 10 vs my 16 x 10.

I camp with my 2 sons (3 total). That tent will serve us well as far as size.
I read lots of reviews on Coleman 1 min. tent. It's not that good and not strong either. I have Coleman 1-minute canopee (not tent) and it was good.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
The Base Camp and the Kingdom are very different in the Kingdom has separated rooms one is your basic screen room while the other is full coverage. I am not a fan of the base camp but would buy a kingdom.
Honestly the LLbean tent your looking at looks like a heck of a setup. which is one reason I would like to see and hear more about it.
I would not touch one of the new Coleman tents with a ten foot pole. that goes double for the 1minute plastic hub style tent. Plastic is not a viable material for a hub in any type of weather where wind might be an issue and we all know what happens to plastic with a lot of sun exposure.

barlowrs

Explorer
What are the difference between base camp 6 and Kingdom 6. Kingdom 6 sold out and back order for 3 weeks

The Basecamp 6 is just one large room. It is VERY large though. I can easily stand all the way up in most places in the tent (except VERY edges). One complaint is that without the rainfly it is mostly mesh (nice if sunny and alone) but in groups, you have no privacy without the rain fly (though it install easily).

The only problem I can see with the 2 room tesnts is you have wasted space becuase of them. For example, that LLBean there has a bigger footprint thatn my basecamp 6, however, I would not be able to use it becuase the cots me and my gf run are too long for one of the rooms. With the center divider, you limit your options.

Last edited:

rngrubi

Observer
My wife and I just bought the LLbean King pine dome 6 this year and think it is great. Initially, I was concerned about the strength of the poles since they are fiberglass instead of aluminum. They seem to be holding up well. It is well ventilated and you can completely enclose the screened area. Seems as well made as my northface expedition tent.

We have 2 sons, ages 16 and 14, they are the size of a full grown person. We also have 2 labs, 70-80 lbs each. We keep the dogs in the screened area, my wife and I in the other space (she likes lots of room) and the kids use a seperate tent. Bottom line, it is roomy for 4 but I think it would be a very tight fit for 6 people.

This is the only tent she has ever said she was happy with. If she's happy, then I'm happy.:wings:

barlowrs

Explorer
My wife and I just bought the LLbean King pine dome 6 this year and think it is great. Initially, I was concerned about the strength of the poles since they are fiberglass instead of aluminum. They seem to be holding up well. It is well ventilated and you can completely enclose the screened area. Seems as well made as my northface expedition tent.

We have 2 sons, ages 16 and 14, they are the size of a full grown person. We also have 2 labs, 70-80 lbs each. We keep the dogs in the screened area, my wife and I in the other space (she likes lots of room) and the kids use a seperate tent. Bottom line, it is roomy for 4 but I think it would be a very tight fit for 6 people.

This is the only tent she has ever said she was happy with. If she's happy, then I'm happy.:wings:

Can you tell me the dimensions of the enclosed room (not the screen room)? I want to see if my gf and my cots would fit in there. thanks.

ocean_explorer

I just purchased the King Pine Dome Six and spent a week in it on the St Joe River in northern Idaho. Here are my comments/observations on the tent:
- recommend purchasing the accessory ground sheet. Leave it fastened to the tent when packing up. Fold the tent, this makes it easy to spread out when setting it up again. Mark the main entrance with tape or something on the ground sheet, makes it easy to get the orientation the way you want it.
- rear entrance rain fly (this is the outside entrance to the main sleeping compartment) is poorly designed. You need additional poles and when it rains water collects in the middle - big puddle!. A fix is to put 3 foot poles (3/4" electrical conduit works well) at each corner and make a small weight to attache to the fly between the poles to act as a channel to drain rain water. Fly also zips closed (no poles needed) offering a small vestibule - this is probably the best configuration in the rain, use the main entrance and avoid tracking mud and water directly into the sleeping area.
- screened porch, rain fly has zippered panels to protect the side screens on the screened room from direct rain fall. This is a great idea, unfortunately it is not well designed and it leaks (a flap sewn over the zipper would prevent the leaking). During moderate rain there were puddles in the screened room along the sides of the tent. Puddles ranged from 6 to 14 inches in diameter after about 8 hours of rain.
- there are numerous zippers for the doors and screens. The cord used for the pulls are all the same color, I changed to a different color for the screens, much easier to get the right pull, especially in the dark.
- there are extensive mesh pockets along the edges of the main sleeping portion of the tent. Very well done. No leaks in the main portion of the tent during rain.
- there are hooks in each room for hanging an electric light, very sturdy.
- tent is very well constructed and materials seem to be good quality.
- bag for tent is flimsy and too small, recommend replacing with a large heavy duty duffel bag.
- tent is easy to set up, especially after practicing in the back yard. One person can set it up in about 20 minutes, two can probably do it in 15 minutes or less.
- overall quality is very good and I would recommend it as a great tent for campgrounds and undeveloped sites. Tent should do very well in the fall and spring with the addition of a heater. Can easily set up two chairs and a table in the screened room and watch it rain or escape from the bugs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior