I finally bought something! 2002 Dodge Dakota quad cab - slow build thread

Hokie

Observer
Well, after asking a ton of questions (thanks again to all who offered input) about Gen 1 Dodge diesels and Gen 2 3/4 ton Rams, I finally got my Dodge......a quad cab Dakota......which is neither a full size or a diesel or a 3/4 ton and has more options than I really need or want. I know opinions vary on the Dakota's and people generally love them or hate them but the price was right, it does everything I need a truck to do, my 5' 2" wife feels more comfortable driving it than she does a full size and it has 4 real doors, and so far, we are thrilled with it.

It's got the 360/5.9 motor which has plenty of umph in a truck this size. It's automatic, has the factory tow package and bone stock other than a Flowmaster muffler. I had the remove the oversized chrome tip noise maker tail pipes almost immediately, but I am debating the Flowmaster. Sometimes I like the noise, sometimes, like on road trips, I don't.

First accessory will be a nice cap. After which, I need to figure out some sort of way to divide the bed into compartments that I can easily remove if I had to haul something large. I am thinking either a slide tray or a cap with tilt up windows on the sides to be able to access the entire bed. I am big on modular platforms so I want to be able to quickly and easily install/remove the cap and anything in put in bed.

Other than that, I am still debating. I am happy with the ride height and don't plan any major off road adventures, so I am not interested in a lift at this point. I have my M416 trailer which goes well behind the truck but I am debating how useful that trailer really is for uses other than off road camping since its tall and there is no tailgate.

As always, any thoughts, ideas, questions or concerns are appreciated!

Here are some pics because I know you all love them as much as I do!

Attachments

• dakota 4.jpg
    dakota 4.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 25
  • dakota 2.jpg
    dakota 2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 23
  • dakota 3.jpg
    dakota 3.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 23
  • dakota 1.jpg
    dakota 1.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 24

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
Clean rig, and looks like a great platform! She will be thirsty but will worth the hp,tq #'s.:ylsmoke:

colodak

Adventurer
nice truck, there are a couple of other Dakota builds on here. I've also got a Quad cab that I'm building. I would refer you to another good site for a wealth of Dodge info, www.dakota-durango.com '

I've got the same engine with a modified gibson exhaust. One thing you will find is a good topper will help cut down on the drone from the louder exhaust.

Hokie

Observer
We just did a 350 mile trip last weekend from GA to AL and averaged 17mpg on a mix of 75mph interstate, 60 mph state highway and a tiny bit of stop and go. Not great, but not horrible either and about what I expected.

The truck is about due for a tune up, so I am looking at some things to do at that point. Is a K&N or similar intake really add that much power or mileage? Are there any drawbacks? Plugs and wires suggestions? I really want to stay away from engine programers and any heavy modifications. I am way out of my comfort zone there and aside from trying to get a few more MPG's out of the truck, I am happy with its performance.

One things I have heard about these motors is that they sludge up bad. Mechanic buddy of mine said to pour in a can of Seafoam into the truck (with the usual amount of oil), run it for about 10 minutes at idle and then drain everything and do a routine oil change. Anyone ever hear of that? I have heard of adding Seafoam to a tank of gas to clean things out but never to the engine oil.

Hokie

Observer
nice truck, there are a couple of other Dakota builds on here. I've also got a Quad cab that I'm building. I would refer you to another good site for a wealth of Dodge info, www.dakota-durango.com '

I've got the same engine with a modified gibson exhaust. One thing you will find is a good topper will help cut down on the drone from the louder exhaust.

Thanks for the compliment and I will be sure to check out that site.

Ryan

ExpoMike

Not sure if it's the same on 4x4 versus 2WD but the post '00 Dakotas love to warp front brake rotors and eat ball joints. I had read of many people going through these in less than 20,000 miles. When I had our '02 2WD quad, I knew about this and was able to take it easy on the brakes. Never had any issues but traded it in at about 20K miles so no long term reports. My dad has a '97 with about 75K miles and still on the original rotors and ball joints. Dodge cheaped out in later years. Look for aftermarket solutions.

Nice truck and I recall liking mine when I had it.

colodak

Adventurer
We just did a 350 mile trip last weekend from GA to AL and averaged 17mpg on a mix of 75mph interstate, 60 mph state highway and a tiny bit of stop and go. Not great, but not horrible either and about what I expected.

The truck is about due for a tune up, so I am looking at some things to do at that point. Is a K&N or similar intake really add that much power or mileage? Are there any drawbacks? Plugs and wires suggestions? I really want to stay away from engine programers and any heavy modifications. I am way out of my comfort zone there and aside from trying to get a few more MPG's out of the truck, I am happy with its performance.

One things I have heard about these motors is that they sludge up bad. Mechanic buddy of mine said to pour in a can of Seafoam into the truck (with the usual amount of oil), run it for about 10 minutes at idle and then drain everything and do a routine oil change. Anyone ever hear of that? I have heard of adding Seafoam to a tank of gas to clean things out but never to the engine oil.

the sludge issue is more of a problem with the 4.7 then with the 5.9, at 120K on mine I haven't seen signs of sludge, but I am going to run a can of BG oil purge to clean mine out. Your mileage is a little off for your altitude (believe me I'd be jumping for joy if I could get 17 mpg), the other site I mentioned has some great suggestions for plugs. Cap/rotor your best choice is MOPAR Performance from the dealer. I currently run Iridium plugs and MSD wires. If you don't know when it was last done, replace the coil, personally, I'd go aftermarket. Summit Racing used to carry MSD, they only carry an OEM equivelent and MSD has apparently stopped making one. Accel still does make one, you'll need an adaptor wire they also sell.

I currently run a Superchips tuner on mine, with a AFE CAI, Gibson cat-back. I've been very happy with the AFE compared to the K&N. K&N has had to redesign their kit for these trucks twice because of design flaws. Really, it's more of a cost, I'd stick with one of those two and avoid the rice kits. Instead of SEAFOAM, get the intake cleaner from Dodge. The people who have used it like it better than seafoam, I would run a can of that through the system, then do a full tune up, maybe run some BG44K through it once a year as well. Oh and avoid the throttle body spacers, they don't help at all.

Buffalo

I have an 08 Dakota and upped the tire size and saw a small bump in fuel mileage.

Same engine and gearing as a 1500 but the Dak's run smaller tire, so its an easy way to lower the RPM's when cruising.

Hokie

Observer
the sludge issue is more of a problem with the 4.7 then with the 5.9, at 120K on mine I haven't seen signs of sludge, but I am going to run a can of BG oil purge to clean mine out. Your mileage is a little off for your altitude (believe me I'd be jumping for joy if I could get 17 mpg), the other site I mentioned has some great suggestions for plugs. Cap/rotor your best choice is MOPAR Performance from the dealer. I currently run Iridium plugs and MSD wires. If you don't know when it was last done, replace the coil, personally, I'd go aftermarket. Summit Racing used to carry MSD, they only carry an OEM equivelent and MSD has apparently stopped making one. Accel still does make one, you'll need an adaptor wire they also sell.

I currently run a Superchips tuner on mine, with a AFE CAI, Gibson cat-back. I've been very happy with the AFE compared to the K&N. K&N has had to redesign their kit for these trucks twice because of design flaws. Really, it's more of a cost, I'd stick with one of those two and avoid the rice kits. Instead of SEAFOAM, get the intake cleaner from Dodge. The people who have used it like it better than seafoam, I would run a can of that through the system, then do a full tune up, maybe run some BG44K through it once a year as well. Oh and avoid the throttle body spacers, they don't help at all.

I calculated the mileage from my daily drive to/from work for a week which is all stop & go or backroad travel and came out right at 15 mpg. I think the highway would have been a little better but at 75mph, I am turning right at 2000 rpm. Overall, I am pleased with that....for a truck with a motor this big in it.

I will look into the BG purge oil, that's a new one for me. The 100K mark is quickly approaching and I want to have some tune up done by then as I don't know the whole service history of the truck. Previous owner seems to have taken good care of it though.

colodak

Adventurer
I'm looking at having the purge done as well as a motorvac where they clean the top end, considering I'm at altitude, it probably won't do much, but at least she'll be cleaned up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz