I don't see much 200 series here, any particular reason?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I think as the 200's get older and move on to 2nd and 3rd owners they will be more common on the trail. Even the 1% types dont like paying big $'s for a trail rig that gets beat up and trashed. Hell the really wealthy types I know drive Range Rovers bought at Auction for nickles on the dollar.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
What about the Sequoia?

Is it better than the 4R and worse then the LC200?

I went from a 93 J80 to a 05 Sequoia. Only reason was for seating space and secondary was more modern crash safety hauling family and all etc. I was invited by the Gwagon crew to join them on a trail run just outside the Rubicon. 100% stock Sequoia on fresh BFG Rugged Terrains, oh and soccer mom running boards. I was slightly wider and longer than the Gs. Never once clipped the running boards but I was being really cautious about not hooking them. Couple of tight spots in the trees I easily got through but no way Id want a wider rig even at the same length. The only place were I had to take a second run was a rocky section that was crossed up, lacking a rear diff locker I couldnt crawl through like the Gs We added a few rocks to a hole and I carried more momentum to get over the crossup spot.

The old timer in the G behind me told me after that he was really impressed with how the Sequoia did. He was surprised at how much articulation it had and that I was able to make some of the tight spots with sharp turns without any issues. I think the first gen Sequoia flys under the radar when it comes to capability. Around here they are a dime a dozen glorified minivans. Hell many of the early Sequoias are HS kid rides there must be 6-8 of them driven by HS kids to school.

atwalz

The 200 is definitely a trail rig. You just have to be willing to ********** the corners. :)

email3029-jpg.1513653

(That's not me. I'm not a madman like the Mudders that visited Moab last weekend.)
Driver: Atwalz Photo: E. Reiten

That's my rig. Love that shot.

Last edited:

blatant1

In to be in this thread. 200's are just a trend. They're for posers, just get a runner. 4runner = superior.

Last edited:

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I like how that model t looks with the modern murdered out look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I have been towing my Kimberley Karavan with a 2004 4Runner that I have been very happy with. As the 4Runner is aging, I am looking at what my replacement vehicle will be. Sadly the 4.7 V8 is no longer an option on new 4Runners. I don't want to tow a 4000lb trailer in the mountains with a 6 cylinder. :-(

So my eyes are starting to look at both the Sequoia and the LC200. Both have the 5.7 V8 with over a 7000lb tow capacity which is what I am after. The cost of a new LC200 does freak me out a bit so I am looking at late model used options with low milage. Lots of research still needs to be done. Just starting down this path. Any obvious reasons a Sequoia would not get the job done for me? I have calmed down a bit and don't need a serious rock crawler. I just want a capable off road rig that will let me tow my offroad trailer to remote spots on the rougher, seldom used FS roads in whatever weather nature decided to throw at me.

Thanks,
Brad

I have been towing my Kimberley Karavan with a 2004 4Runner that I have been very happy with. As the 4Runner is aging, I am looking at what my replacement vehicle will be. Sadly the 4.7 V8 is no longer an option on new 4Runners. I don't want to tow a 4000lb trailer in the mountains with a 6 cylinder. :-(

So my eyes are starting to look at both the Sequoia and the LC200. Both have the 5.7 V8 with over a 7000lb tow capacity which is what I am after. The cost of a new LC200 does freak me out a bit so I am looking at late model used options with low milage. Lots of research still needs to be done. Just starting down this path. Any obvious reasons a Sequoia would not get the job done for me? I have calmed down a bit and don't need a serious rock crawler. I just want a capable off road rig that will let me tow my offroad trailer to remote spots on the rougher, seldom used FS roads in whatever weather nature decided to throw at me.

Thanks,
Brad

Make sure to look for used LX570's. There are a lot more Lexus's on the road than Land Cruisers, and they seem to not hold their value as well for some reason.

mph

Expedition Leader
The one real advantage in my opinion is the KDSS system. I have heard awesome things about it. Not on the Lexus version...

calicamper

Expedition Leader
If you enjoyed the 4runner the Sequoia is just a up sized version of the 4runner I like ours. The 200’s are pricy and pretty lux, like you I kinda dont think I would go that route ever due to price. Plus there are many nice options out there today for far less $. I have the 4.7 in my Sequoia. Its nice but the newer 5.7 with timing chain no belt and its better on 87octane vs my 4.7 clearly does far better on 91octane. I think the 5.7 is a far better engine from that aspect dragging trailers on long pavement hauls.

Im also not too brand picky these days. My next truck will have a high probability if being a GM product. Lower price point, more competition, more indi dealers etc all our toyota dealers around here are owned by the same auto group meaning prices are driven up, service fees are driven higher etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles