i dont know jack ********. any help much appreciated.

D-roc

hello the names D,

Ive been riding public transit nearly half my life. Ive been sitting on some inheritance money from my father for nearly a decade not knowing what to do with it. Ive been super hesitant in buying a car because of all the problems that can ensue with owning one. I recently just came back from a trip to new york with my brother. It was at this point over many beers and slices of pizza did i begin to actually want to use my inheritance for something meaningful. My brother told me about "over landing" and the concept of it just being able to have the freedom to just pack up and get out of dodge just pulled my curiosity with such fervor.

why i chose the Toyota Tacoma. I used to work on a pot farm and one of the workers had a truck (if your guessed toyota tacoma, Bingo) that he slept in instead of a tent like the rest of us. i saw his set up, it wasn't anything super fancy but he had a camper in the bed and he had his cooler with food and his sleeping bag. But what really sold me wanting the same truck as him was when the rain came, the workers couldn't do much because of the weather so while the rest of us were in our flooded tents he was chilling in his truck with some hot tea and vodka, relaxing in his sleeping bag all cozy while reading a book while having the sound of rain hit the top of his camper.

I want that.

i want to be able to just leave and disappear deep in nature and not have any thing bother me but the sound of the rain hitting my truck while and i chill with my book. i know barely anything about automobiles. My brother told me the best place to learn is message boards/forums on cars/camping/over landing which brought me here.

what should i look for in buying a toyota tacoma?
Is there a specific year/model i should be on the look out for?
what are some basics in maintenance in caring for a truck?
im not looking to spend more than 5k.

thanks to all who respond.

-D

Toyota's are great trucks! Buy as new as you can afford and low miles. Outfit it minimally. Learn how to drive it and recover it in STOCK form.

Find certified trainer in your area, https://i4wdta.org/?v=7516fd43adaa Once you are comfortable with the truck and have had some training you'll be able to modify it from a position of knowledge. MOST trucks are more capable than beginner drivers. Don't make the mistake of spending money on things you don't know how to use because someone on a forum told you it was awesome.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
too easy; can't do it.
That's a real fountain of advice there...

Your 5k budget is likely too low for a Tacoma, although that changes with the area you live in and what the market will allow.

My recommendation would be a first gen, 95-04. I have seen some 95-97 trucks in decent shape sell for a reasonable price...

Everyone will have a further opinion on drivetrain options. Personally, I'd stick with a 4cyl model. Simpler and more efficient.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Seems to me the 1st gens that have been taken care of or have had frame replacements will be expensive. You'd pretty certainly have to stick with 2WD and probably a regular cab to get under $5k here for a truck that won't need some TLC before it's reliable.

As an example there was a 1999 with 250,000 miles, rusty wheel wells (didn't stick my head under to look at frame though), a 4 cylinder, 4WD XtraCab that the guy even wrote on the sign says "runs a little rough and has a misfire" and he got $3,300 (asking $4k) for it.

For $5k though you're going to get more for your money with a domestic. I bet you could find a pretty decent early 2000s F150 for that money.

ultraclyde

Observer
$5k buys a Toyota truck that is in such bad shape it will likely give you all of the problems you were so scared of. $5k buys a different make (Ford, Chevy, Isuzu, etc) in much better condition that will only give you half of them. The older a vehicle, and the less you spend on it (usually) mean those scary problems are more likely.

Seriously, if you've never been a vehicle owner, start by buying the best condition 4x4 you can find that you can afford. Spend a little more to buy a nicer one because it will be capable of WAY more than you are initially even in stock form, so there's no need to budget money for upgrades and gear. Get it inspected thoroughly by a mechanic before you buy. Get your brother to teach you how to do the basic maintenance. Then go do. Do whatever you want to with it. When you find something you want to do and can't, consider upgrading what you have so you can.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
"If a thousand dollar car was truly worth a damn, then why would anyone spend ten grand?" -- Brian Henneman (from the song "Thousand Dollar Car")

highwest

I bought a $5000 Ford Ranger with ~120k miles, it was an awesome truck. It went everywhere with great reliability, though it liked to eat front end components. The $5000 Toyota trucks at the time were all rusty with over 200k on the clock.

phsycle

Adventurer
Don't get enamored by kitted out Tacoma's you see on here. You can "get out of Dodge" in any vehicle. Or even a bicycle!

I agree with others. $5k doesn't bring you much. Might as well just get a very reliable car. Maybe a Forester. Even a Honda Civic will get you to most trailheads. Pack up with hiking gear and you'll get to see a lot of pretty country.

By the way, I certainly hope $5k is the result of you putting that into an investment a decade ago, not just sitting on it. $5k in 2008, invested into say, Apple. Today would be worth $66k.

Clutch

<---Pass
Here is a F150 for $5000. Already has a high-rise camper shell, could toss a cot in there with plenty of room to sit up and read.

https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/d/1999-ford-f150-4x4-supercab/6714073087.html

Not saying to buy this particular truck, just an example of what is out there. Get a nicer
truck for the price than a roached out Tacoma.

00i0i_2Qs7vfHNLaF_600x450.jpg

00202_akPZZpvMYgY_600x450.jpg

Instead of a cot, could build a platform like this smug dude.

https://www.wildernessshots.com/toyota-tacoma-overlander-expedition/

toyota-tacoma-overlander-sleeping-deck-999x666.jpg

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Is that with the Triton V8 with the spark plug issue? I’d probably opt for the V6 version, personally. It’d probably be cheaper, too.

Clutch

<---Pass
Is that with the Triton V8 with the spark plug issue? I’d probably opt for the V6 version, personally. It’d probably be cheaper, too.

Just an example of what else is out there besides Tacoma's in the OP's budget.

Me I would do a Chevy in that price range, engine should be solid...but probably will need balljoints, which is an easy fix.

Here you go, $3000.

https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/d/2005-chevy-silverado-4x4/6724815991.html

00000_aCIED0KsaDs_600x450.jpg

Couple few out there.

https://boise.craigslist.org/search...ado&sort=rel&max_price=5000&auto_drivetrain=3

phsycle

Adventurer
Just an example of what else is out there besides Tacoma's in the OP's budget.

Me I would do a Chevy in that price range, engine should be solid...but probably will need balljoints, which is an easy fix.

Here you go, $3000.

https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/d/2005-chevy-silverado-4x4/6724815991.html

00000_aCIED0KsaDs_600x450.jpg

Couple few out there.

https://boise.craigslist.org/search...ado&sort=rel&max_price=5000&auto_drivetrain=3

I’d agree. Chevy’s of that vintage seem to never die.
02 W/T trim
15783041-640.jpg

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
I would look at mid-2000 Jeep Grand Cherokees also, can be had in this price and these were well built, ours has over 220k miles and going strong but 2wd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles