I decided to build my own Pop Top camper

ITTOG

Dude... sorry to hear this. Man, that sucks, like a lot. I worked a lot on the roof edge design... the guy who was working with me on this designed it to have more of an overhang, but it was like 3/4 of an inch away from the sides? I was not ok with that as I was (mostly) concerned with air getting under the edge while on the road and water. I now have less of an overhang, but what I do it about 1/4 away from the finished face of the sides and it overhangs about 1". Now the fabric will be protected by a rubber automotive rubber bulb seal and 1" overhang. No wind or water should ever touch the Sunbrella when closed or on the road in rain and deployed it 'should' shed water well.

Fingers crossed!!

Now, I just need to install the stupid fabric! Cant wait to see that duct tape replaced with some nice brushed aluminum!!

Sorry but can you clarify? You first indicated your overhang was about 3/4 of an inch and that created uplift concerns for you. You then finish by saying you're overhanging is 1 in. Wouldn't that make you even more concerned? I figure I am missing something here and would like to know because I was thinking about a one quarter to half inch overhang.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

97heavyweight

Dude... sorry to hear this. Man, that sucks, like a lot. I worked a lot on the roof edge design... the guy who was working with me on this designed it to have more of an overhang, but it was like 3/4 of an inch away from the sides? I was not ok with that as I was (mostly) concerned with air getting under the edge while on the road and water. I now have less of an overhang, but what I do it about 1/4 away from the finished face of the sides and it overhangs about 1". Now the fabric will be protected by a rubber automotive rubber bulb seal and 1" overhang. No wind or water should ever touch the Sunbrella when closed or on the road in rain and deployed it 'should' shed water well.

Fingers crossed!!

Now, I just need to install the stupid fabric! Cant wait to see that duct tape replaced with some nice brushed aluminum!!
Thanks. Roof 2.0 will have some overhang as well. I just hope this will get me through the winter.

97heavyweight

Yes my weather stripping is closed cell. My struggle is with the drip edge. First, I'm not sure what to use for my drip edge and second, how will the drip edge impact my fasteners that hold the roof close?

I have seen people use a roller to bend thin sheet metal into a drip edge. It's pretty thin and doesn't seem to be in the way of the latches.

ITTOG

I have seen people use a roller to bend thin sheet metal into a drip edge. It's pretty thin and doesn't seem to be in the way of the latches.
Do you plan a drip edge that goes over the seem between the camper and roof or just one that sticks outa little? Or both? I am thinking one that covers the seem. Maybe I should attach a pic on what I am thinking. This has been a six month sticking point for me and really need to decide within a few weeks to prevent any delays.

OVRLND Campers

Do you plan a drip edge that goes over the seem between the camper and roof or just one that sticks outa little? Or both? I am thinking one that covers the seem. Maybe I should attach a pic on what I am thinking. This has been a six month sticking point for me and really need to decide within a few weeks to prevent any delays.

For sure cover that! Water will wick in if you dont make a drip edge from the roof covering the seam!

97heavyweight

My roof is built like the below picture just without the drip edge. I want to put the trim piece over everything to ensure it is sealed up and good to go. It may kick out at a 45 or come straight out at a 90 and straight down. Whichever i can make work.

Attachments

• IMG_1373.jpg
    IMG_1373.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 107

ITTOG

My roof is built like the below picture just without the drip edge. I want to put the trim piece over everything to ensure it is sealed up and good to go. It may kick out at a 45 or come straight out at a 90 and straight down. Whichever i can make work.
I just posted what I am considering in my build thread so I don't have too much of my info in your thread. If you want to take a look it is at https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...6-x-12-trailer-conversion.199414/post-2966748.

Andrew_S

Observer
4832279.jpg

Sometimes its best to just move forward and improvise as you go. My .02.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles